Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I saw a tornado at a track day once. It was being piloted by a novice rider and he seemed to like it. I sat on it and didn't particularly care for the riding position but other than that it was a beautiful bike.

There was a lot of negatives stuff going around about Electrical problems with the bike. From what I've heard and read on the Internet it's an electrical nightmare with the (dash) clocks going out being a frequent problem.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Tips On Buying a Tre
Lots of great information on that site.

I think a high-quality battery constantly kept up in charge helps things with the electrics quite a bit. I'd love to have one, gorgeous bike. Even the TNT has a certain ugly-cool factor like a BMW GS or many Guzzis.

That 748L on their site is a great price. Always wanted a silver 916 bike.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
why bother is right.

i rode one a few years ago at track day. long story short.....i did a few sessions and couldn't come to terms with it.
The engine sounds great, and the bike looks the part but aside from that, i wasn't impressed at all.
It hated fast transitions, hated long sweepers, the brakes faded way too soon, HOT seat, blah blah

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Benelli is currently being restructured. They hired the former head of Yamaha Motor Italia and he's very busy putting order in the firm.
He sent out orders to clear out old stocks and distributors are obeying.
The original Benelli three cylinder engine was actually an unbuilt Triumph design built by Minarelli in Italy under license. Minarelli and Benelli then bought the rights to it and made a number of changes, but the Triumph feel is immediately apparent.
Electronics is an in-house special and has always been troublesome. It's exactly the same problem that plagued Moto Morini bikes.
Second hand bikes here can be bought quite cheaply: a low mileage Tornado Tre 1130 in spotless condition will fetch about 6000€, provided you can find a buyer. ;)

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
If you look on the Benelli board, Benelli Motorcycle Discussion, News and Information it is amazing how cheap those bikes are in the UK second hand. 3000 pounds is what, $4500?

One for sale in CA for a realistic price for the US market.
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre 900

I would love to have one. A 900 Tornado as it was the original design, was raced in WSBK, and revs the highest. But before I bought it I would probably have a moment of clarity and just find a nice Triumph 955 Daytona again (red '02 CE edition if possible).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always been a sucker for the unusual, and reliability is something that you have to deal with when you go out of the box. These might be too far out of the range though, nearest dealer to me looks like it's in FL or NC. I'm going to keep checking the depreciation numbers...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Considered one but there are just too many major issues about which to be concerned ... unless one can get a screaming deal ... and I mean screaming . They're owned by a Chinese firm . There is one "official dealer" in all of Canada and they have a Titanium TnT for only $40K .:wackyI contacted the importer asking for a paper brochure , said he mailed it , never arrived , never answered any further emails about model availability , prices , etc. . Parts requests will probably get the same response .

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
TNT 1130 Sport - sickest bike EVER. That engine kills. No shit. **** all Ducatis. The TNT 1130 Sport that my buddy owns just hammers a smile into your face. Forget what you thought you knew about fun.

I climbed onto it and gave my fully built 955 to my buddy. After 10 seconds twisting that TNT throttle and screaming in joy loudly my first thought was "why am I wasting my time with the Ducati?". And I love Ducatis to the bone.

Buy one.

And prepare to get stranded.

But buy one.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Perhaps it would remind all of us of the early days of motorcycling where if you arrived at your destination and didn't have to repair something by the side of the road it was noteworthy.

I really don't think they are that bad from all that I have read. An owner just has to stay on top of maintenance and fix the known issues soon after buying the bike. A former Ducati or MV owner used to just dropping the bike off for service with a blank check probably need not apply.

Despite Chinese ownership, IMO they are equal to anything available from Italy as far as exotic-ness is concerned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts