Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My unit is getting activated and I'll be heading to mississippi for 6 months of training then I'll be in Iraq a year. What is the best way to store a bike? Should I install a battery tender? What about a fuel stabalizer? My brother can start the bike as often as i need him to. What about the oil? I heard 3 months or every 3000 miles. Does it really need to be changed every 3 months if it's not being driven. Thanks Guys :rockon

·
RC51-less Member
6,675 Posts
put on stands

drain oil and filter, replace with new, AND DON'T RE-START.

treat fuel.

if gone longer than one year, have someone start it periotically, once every month or two. keep fuel tank full. resists condensation and rust.

while running it, run until it reaches full temp, as to evaporate any condensation in the crankcase, from start ups. even in a warm climate.

if running the bike once every 1-2 months, change oil and filter after 1 year.

i'd suggest changing the fuel if it sits for one year, as well. PITA, but better than having to deal with the damage that bad gas can do.

Battery Tender is a must...

·
RC51-less Member
6,675 Posts
good luck, be safe, keep your f*cking head down and come home to your RC and your family.

oh.....and thanks for your service. :clapper

oh....and use a good lube on the chain to avoid rust and corrosion. forgot that.

·
Reverse Bodylift of Death
989 Posts

Rigor said:
if running the bike once every 1-2 months, change oil and filter after 1 year.

QUOTE]

everything he said...but also, when you get back and are ready to ride here... Change the plugs! cause all the starting, running, and shutting off without actually running throught the range and stuff will foul the hell out of the plugs and/or load them up... either way... change them before you ride as not to get your self stranded on your first ride.

also, stay safe! screw the media...kill anything not wearing a USA flag on their sleeve... even then keep her at a ready position! God bless man!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Do you know where you are going yet? I was supposed to go to camp shelby in miss. also, but since they are using it for a hub or something like that for katrina releif, we are going to fort bragg. We are supposed to go for about 2 months at the mob. station then to kuwait for a couple more months of training and then finaly north of bagdad for a year. I heard it's a large camp (about 15k troops) and although there are regular attacks (mortar and/or rocket), they are aimed at the airfield and can never hit anything. I also heard that it is so far out in the middle of nowhere that you can't get within a couple miles without being seen.

pm me and let me know what unit you are with, maybe I'll see you over there.
either way keep your head down and hope you don't have to go out on any convey's. although I think they call them combat patrols now, since they are attacked so often.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I almost forgot, I know how some guys get with their most valued possessions (the RC). But I'm am leaving mine with a close freind that had to sell his 998 so he could afford to the kids. He is someone I trust and he never rode his Duc as hard as I ride the RC so I'm sure it will be fine. And even if something does happen, that's what ins. is for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
be safe!

You guys take care of yourselves! My son is in Mosul now. Left in February and will be gone at least til next Feb. He says the camps are pretty safe, but once you cross the line....... They take fire everyday. He had to sell his bike shortly after he left so he's bumming now, but we have a surprise for him when he gets home. Brand ne 2006 CBR1000RR - all black. Our dealer is helping out with the cost, but his sister and I will have it in the garage when he touches down.

Set up your buddy lists before you leave. He is able to get online and IM us almost everyday! great way to stay in touch and keep the stress and fears down.

Anyway, good luck, stay safe, and keep your gun clean and loaded!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That is truly an awesome gesture on your behalf. I'm sure that will certainly help him adjust and bring his spirits up once he gets home... Nothing clears the mind better than a bike and a nice long twisty road.... :rockon

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mnrc51 said:
My unit is getting activated and I'll be heading to mississippi for 6 months of training then I'll be in Iraq a year. What is the best way to store a bike? Should I install a battery tender? What about a fuel stabalizer? My brother can start the bike as often as i need him to. What about the oil? I heard 3 months or every 3000 miles. Does it really need to be changed every 3 months if it's not being driven. Thanks Guys :rockon

Simple dude, bring it to my house and I'll take care of it. I don't know how many times I've heard the story, "I shipped out and the bike was in the garage. When I came home my wife/parents/girlfriend had sold it." Bring 'em over here to Cheeseland-I got plenty o storage for a soldier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts