Speedzilla Forums banner

Which bike to buy?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk me out of it. Tell me I have one foot in the Harley camp. But I like, and always have liked, the last of the tube-frame Buells. They certainly are cheap. $3k will buy one rather easily. There is a '99 X1 in the cool blue/white scheme with the gigantic side airbox near me. As much as I bash the MoCo, it would be ironic to drag one home. What's next, a BMW S1000RR?
99 Buell X1 Lighting

Or I could build a Streetfighter (or maybe some would call just a heavily upgraded old bike) out of a GS1100E for sale locally. One of these was my first streetbike, so I know this one very well. Put another $3k or so in it with used GSXR front end parts and engine rebuild and see what I come up with upgraded forks and brakes and repaint to go along with 125 rwhp and monster torque in a comfortable package.
http://joplin.craigslist.org/mcy/2857213471.html

Then again I have always loved me some Guzzi. When I bought my 851 (1996) it was between the used 851, a new Speed Triple, and a new Guzzi 1100 Sport. This one is fuel injected which would be a plus.
1997 Motoguzzi 1100Sport Bike

The TL1000S, for the money, would offer a ton of performance and you don't see them everyday. Would sound similar to the Duck but should be a bit more comfortable. The S seems forgotten today.
1997 suzuki tl1000s street bike (Ducati killer)

And finally, the V-force is strong in this one. I have always liked this bike. The way it looks, they way they are reported to be comfortable & reliable. These will be classics some day I am sure. It is also one of the few Japanese bikes with "character". Many around from $2000-$3500.
1995 honda VFR 750

Attachments

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
Go for the Buell!

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
My 97 Buell S3 cost me $11.5- handmade, tons of torque (82 ft lbs, 85 hp) neat wheelies off the corners, sucked at the track. You'll be doing rockerbox gaskets!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I noticed the ad did not give the mileage. If the miles were decent, that is a steal. If you ride it, you will buy it! That bike is top of my "why in the hell did I sell it" list.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
BTW, my personal preference order of the choices would be:
1) Guzzi
2) VFR750
3) VFR800, Buell, Suzuki
6) GS1100E

Meanwhile my wife weighed in and hers were...
1) GS1100E
100) VFR750, VFR800, Buell, Suzuki, Guzzi :D

She must think the old bike will be cheaper (her uncle and cousin build cafe racers from CB750 and othr various old bikes). I have assured her the GS will not be cheaper. This assumes the low compression issue isn't head related and I can just put in a new big bore kit. The 1168cc kit from APE would be about $1300 with the cylinder rebore.

Ideally I would put a recent GSXR set of USD forks, radial brakes, and 17" wheel on the front ($800 used for everything?) The speedo/odo drive might be a bit of work though.

Then replace the shocks ($200), scrounge a 17" wheel for a 160 rear tire ($200), add chain, sprockets, and tires ($500). Powdercoating and painting would be another $400 at least if I did prep work myself.

I'm already at $3100 on top of the bike price. And in the end it will only being worth anything to me. It would be just another $1500 Frankenbike that is so common on CL or Ebay.

And all the other things like handlebars, turn signals, wheel bearings etc, are going to be replaced and cost a little bit. It would be easy to sink $4500 into the bike including purchase price, and end up with something that is unique but not exactly a show bike. For $4500 you could buy any of these and it would eat the modified GS alive I think.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2849664667.html
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/2840001011.html
http://www.kawasakidealer.com/pre_o...98181X12K3K2011J9I30I13JAMQ5950R0&veh=1551163

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
IF you can find one, consider a Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000. The original series, not the RS.
Last winter I saw an ad for a crashed bike, made a few phone calls to see if spares are still available (they are... outside of the official channels) and rang the day after "Sorry mate, I have already sold it".
Those bikes are rare and prices are steadily increasing, though they aren't in the silly money category yet.
If you want a 1100 Sport, make sure is the last FI version (EFI). They changed quite a few things apart from replacing carbs: larger oil sump for more lube capacity and an oil cooler (earlier 1000/1100 engines were infamous for eating oil fast resulting in many main bearings failures), new gearbox ('80s-early '90s Guzzi gearboxes were known to "grenade" due to hardening coming off gears), USD forks, a rear drive cush drive etc.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IF you can find one, consider a Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000. The original series, not the RS.
Last winter I saw an ad for a crashed bike, made a few phone calls to see if spares are still available (they are... outside of the official channels) and rang the day after "Sorry mate, I have already sold it".
Those bikes are rare and prices are steadily increasing, though they aren't in the silly money category yet.
If you want a 1100 Sport, make sure is the last FI version (EFI). They changed quite a few things apart from replacing carbs: larger oil sump for more lube capacity and an oil cooler (earlier 1000/1100 engines were infamous for eating oil fast resulting in many main bearings failures), new gearbox ('80s-early '90s Guzzi gearboxes were known to "grenade" due to hardening coming off gears), USD forks, a rear drive cush drive etc.
Daytonas are exceedingly rare in the US, there are maybe 150 total over here. I agree that is the one to have but prices are $6k and up. Usually $8k-10k.

The earlier 1100 sport (US got carbed in '95-96, FI in '97-98 IIRC) has their issues but a charm all their own. It really is like buying a bike from the 70's with better suspension and brakes. I prefer the FI but wouldn't turn down a carb version, especially silver, if one turned up close to me. The hot setup is a 6-speed gearbox from the later V11.

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
I went to a Buell open house a few years ago and rode one of the models, forgot which. I rode my (then) F4i there and of course was the only sportbike in the parking lot.

It was decent I have to say. I wasn't going to sign on the dotted line anytime after that (or that day), but I sort of kept them in mind. Sort of. I just wasn't impressed with the quality of the build and fit and finish of the bike. It handled quite well because of the centralized engine and braking was quick and direct. But I just didn't have that "holy shit. I have to have this bike" feeling.

IMHO from most desired to least:
1997 suzuki tl1000s - have always liked the Tillers.
1995 honda VFR 750 - it's a Honda. But it's a Honda.
99 Buell X1 Lighting - meeh. It is what it is.
1997 Motoguzzi 1100Sport Bike - consider parts availability.

Just buy whichever one really speaks to you and feels like the right bike. Or get 'em all! ;)

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just buy whichever one really speaks to you and feels like the right bike. Or get 'em all! ;)
I told my wife that at the moment I have the same bike I had when we were married in '98. I am "bike neutral" compared to her constant upgrades in vehicles over the last few years.

I told her my ultimate goal, if you squinted into our white garage, that all the colors of the bike gas tanks would look like a pack of Skittles. red ones, orange ones, green ones, yellow ones. And so on.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I told my wife that at the moment I have the same bike I had when we were married in '98. I am "bike neutral" compared to her constant upgrades in vehicles over the last few years.

I told her my ultimate goal, if you squinted into our white garage, that all the colors of the bike gas tanks would look like a pack of Skittles. red ones, orange ones, green ones, yellow ones. And so on.
That's a good goal. The guys are right though. Get what moves you. I have a special place in my heart for the thick girl ZX-7R. Truth be told, I can get any bike I want right now but I really enjoy the 90s feel of the ZX-7R. Plus the thrill of trying to stay with newer bikes on track is worth it.

You gotta like what you're on. That's part of what makes riding enjoyable.

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Ha ha. I can appreciate the humor in that. I've always been of the mindset to acquire a breadth of things that accomplish a specific task, rather than redundancy. Dirtbike. Streetbike. ATV. Track bike. Truck. Sports car. Daily driver. Dump truck. Excavator. And so on. But none of them resemble Skittles. Or other Mars delectable treats.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't get a japanese bike from the 90s listed. They are not unique,not very cool, and you won't fall in love with one. Then again, if its just something to grind miles out on,carry on..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.