1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rockon ok so i'm ready to get my first bike
& i want to get a supermoto/motard street legal mean [email protected]#$
i love the ducati hypermotards & the ktm's but i'm 5'2 & the 30" seat hight
is just to high, i cant even get both tipy toes on the ground @ the same time...
i would rather start midrange than get something to small & to crapy that i will just out grow in 6 months.
advice fellas?:confused:

·
Joeitall
318 Posts
High heel shoes;)
:woot: I just spit my drink on the screen :rolleyes:

My wife is 4' 11'' & did ride (gave up street bikes) DRZ400SM just fine.
I did have a 1/2" of foam removed from the seat, but it should be fine for you stock & you can p/u a good used one for cheap !

p.s.
go to supermotojunkie.com for great info on "ALL" SuperMoto's !

·
Registered
773 Posts
imageshack, upload then copy the link to here. GOD I hope that helps. These guys are really hard up, cuz there's just not enough women on the internet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should look at perhaps a Yamaha xt660x, not a full on motard as they are a bit heavy, but not too high a seat and good starting point i think.

Height can be overcome with practice, i'm only 5'5" and am going from a nice low 916 with an 82cm high seat, to a husky sm610 with a 92cm high seat.

Same as you i can only get my tippy toes down with both legs, but can get one leg down flat, trick is to get you bum off the seat and let the bike lean the opposite way slightly and you'll buy yourself several cm's in reach.

only down side is to reverse i have to get off it :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should look at perhaps a Yamaha xt660x, not a full on motard as they are a bit heavy, but not too high a seat and good starting point i think.

Height can be overcome with practice, i'm only 5'5" and am going from a nice low 916 with an 82cm high seat, to a husky sm610 with a 92cm high seat.

Same as you i can only get my tippy toes down with both legs, but can get one leg down flat, trick is to get you bum off the seat and let the bike lean the opposite way slightly and you'll buy yourself several cm's in reach.

only down side is to reverse i have to get off it :p
duuuude r u serous? xt660x is has a 34" seat

·
Registered
17 Posts
mmm so how low a seat do you want? its about one of the lowest motard style bikes around. most are a couple of inches taller.

Lower than that would be something like a BMW f650gs, they're about the lowest you'll find but far from a motard. though i know a few who people who have converted them.

can always buy something and try and lower the forks in the clamps.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
:rockon ok so i'm ready to get my first bike
& i want to get a supermoto/motard street legal mean [email protected]#$
i love the ducati hypermotards & the ktm's but i'm 5'2 & the 30" seat hight
is just to high, i cant even get both tipy toes on the ground @ the same time...
i would rather start midrange than get something to small & to crapy that i will just out grow in 6 months.
advice fellas?:confused:
My advice to anyone who asks "what bike should I get?"

Get the bike you want.

Seat height be damned - guess what? People drop bikes with low seats all the time. Having both feet on the ground is way over-rated. If you're riding a bike that makes you happy, you'll put up with circling the block till you find a nice high curb to pull up to.

Further - if you really like motorcycling, your tastes will change over time, and you'll try riding all sorts of bikes, so don't get hung up on what bike to buy first... just do it. Buy the bike of your dreams. Or build it. Or steal it.

Don't worry about little things like touching the ground or resale value, or how long your bike love will last. Bikes are a glorious stupid waste of time and money that might end in death. Why pretend to be all rational at the beginning? Throw caution to the wind! Live a little.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

Forget the glam shot and post up a full body shot. The whole idea is to see your frame, so you might want to stand next to something with a known height for reference. Measure your inseam as well.

BTW, off road bikes are all going to have high seating positions. After all you are looking at a bike to go off road, so clearance is what they consider in such a machine. You can always trim the seat pad, put lifts on your riding boots(or even some rubber on the soles), lower the suspension' yet all these are going to be trade offs.
It really isn't such a big deal to get both feet down at the same time. All you really need is one to pogo on. I can't remember the last time i put both feet down on any bike. FYI, i have a 32 inch inseam and i can't put both feet down on any of my dirt bikes. Not a big deal.

BTW, where are you located? You plan on riding strickly on the road or might take off road detours from time to time?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
My advice to anyone who asks "what bike should I get?"

Get the bike you want.

Seat height be damned - guess what? People drop bikes with low seats all the time. Having both feet on the ground is way over-rated. If you're riding a bike that makes you happy, you'll put up with circling the block till you find a nice high curb to pull up to.

Further - if you really like motorcycling, your tastes will change over time, and you'll try riding all sorts of bikes, so don't get hung up on what bike to buy first... just do it. Buy the bike of your dreams. Or build it. Or steal it.

Don't worry about little things like touching the ground or resale value, or how long your bike love will last. Bikes are a glorious stupid waste of time and money that might end in death. Why pretend to be all rational at the beginning? Throw caution to the wind! Live a little.

Bad day at the office or did your troll alarm go off?:woot:

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Bad day at the office or did your troll alarm go off?:woot:
Maybe a bit of both.

I just can't relate to someone who asks strangers what bike they should get. When I had no money, ANY bike would do. When that stage of my life was past, every few years I would find another bike I HAD TO HAVE.

I never tried to pretend that any of them were practical. I never tried to pretend any of them were a good investment. I didn't need anyone else's input on them. I bought them because I wanted more than anything at that very moment to be RIDING THAT MOTORCYCLE.

I can't imagine spending money on a particular bike because someone else supplied me with the rationale.

Maybe that just means I'm completely unqualified to answer the question. So I'll shut up now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts