Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gingerman STT Weekend (extended for highside report!)

Anybody else here going out to Gingerman in South Haven Mi. this weekend (Oct 1 and 2)?

If so, I'll see you there, Look for this bike/knucklehead and say hi!:rockon

And if anyone can identify who makes that tailsection, I'll send you a beer!

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Ahhh... make that a Castle Lager for me. That's a JB special tail, right! :)

See ya there - you also camping at the track? Should have a good Duc turnout again! Hope we don't have that timing beam issue again with the photographer...

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old Baldy said:
Ahhh... make that a Castle Lager for me. That's a JB special tail, right! :)

See ya there - you also camping at the track? Should have a good Duc turnout again! Hope we don't have that timing beam issue again with the photographer...

:mad: You don't count!!!

No, I'm not camping this time around. We'll have the canopy and the flags waving. I'll see you guy's there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A small group of us from Svrider.com will be there
I think 7 or 8 bikes total, but not everyone is staying for Sunday. Most of us will be in Intermediate group. This will be my first time back at Gingerman since my get off at T3 there almost exactly a year ago, so please don't run me over if I am crawling thru there

Anyone doing the Test & Tune on Friday? I will be there with 2 or 3 others as well.

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there is a guy from the club (Ducs Unlimited) that's doing Friday as well. So I'll look for a bunch of SV's pitted together and drop by.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will be there Sunday with about 15 of my friends. Look for a silver SV expert 143 in the advance sessions.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll be there on Saturday with a couple others. Look for a red 996, 999, and a gixer 1000. We will be in intermediate. Only been to Gingerman once last year.

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:rockon Will do! We should have a fairly large crew of Ducs there probably between 8-10, also we'll have a Desmo Owners Club Flag at our pit.:)

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone is interested, I've got the "presidental suite" booked at the Holiday Inn Express for Saturday night and I won't be using it so I'm offering it up at a discounted rate. It's right on Phoenix Road toward downtown South Haven. PM me if you are interested.

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I learned two valuable lessions last weekend.

1. Don't do trackdays when you have the flu.
-flu+speed = Highside-

2. Even though you've been sliding the rear sucessfully for three sessions doesn't mean you can do it all day.
-worn tires+flu+speed = Highside-

There are no broken bones but I've got massive bruising everywhere. Pretty much every muscle in my body is sore and it feels like sombody beat the hell out of me with a baseball bat.

The highside happened in turn 10 where you come out on the main straight, parallel to hot pit lane. That's not the fastest corner out there but you want a good drive out on the straight. I had been slightly cautious of getting on the gas early because of the worn rear and I didn't negotiate this corner any differently than I had in the previous 2 sessions. The rear started to go and I kept steady on the gas with some extra pressure on the outside peg expecting to pull out of it as I had many times earlier in the day. Instead it just came around and I finally knew what it felt like to be weightless. That was short lived as the asphalt greeted me like my first girlfriends father when he caught us getting busy on the kitchen table. My leathers, gloves and boots are quite worn everywhere and that gives me an indication that I both slid and tumbled quite a ways. Funny thing is that my helmet has only a scuff that looks like it will buff right out. So that's pretty much it. I stopped taking the Vicodin because it numbs me too much and I want to feel exactly how much pain I'm in. It hurts the most in the AM and reduces itself to a dull, smooth aching pain thats tolerable.

I'll take the winter to repair the bike, the most expensive part to fix will probably be the headlight bucket, followed by the rear wheel if it's bent and then the clutch cover. Not to mention my camera. I guess now it's time to upgrade some parts, anybody got a carbon headlight bucket?

Pics can be seen here

http://ducsunlimited.com/gallery/Jesses-Big-Ooopsies?page=1

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yikes.

Glad you're mostly ok. No broken bones is a good thing. Your bike does seems to look allright too, knowing it was a highside.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad you're ok
...that could have been a lot worse.

I ran out of fuel on my last session before lunch and spent the entire Advanced session parked at the T11 corner worker station. It was fun to watch you work thru the field and bounce the rear wheel off the ground coming into T11 - too bad about the crash.

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess we didn't fair too bad considering the circumstances, you're right it could have been much worse.

Misko, I was going to stop by and say hi to you guys but sorry, I never got too it. Didn't one of the riders in your group crash and have to go to the hospital? I just remember an announcement over the PA asking for someone to volunteer to bring someone to the ER (so that the ambulance could stay) since it wasn't life threatening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts