Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah: Don't go to Dodger games. Between the drunk inconsiderate fans, fights, and serious violence I haven't considered going to a game in 10 years (when I lived in LA). That doesn't even mention traffic. I personally know someone who just simply turned around and went home with his friends out of frustration before even getting to the stadium. He probably dodged a bullet. Literally.

Only thing I've heard this week was a vigil for the victim, which I thought was touching. I hope he fully recovers. I can't believe what a sh1thole my city has turned into. This is not the first time this has happened there, I think last time it resulted in death.
Here you go: Dodger Stadium Murder - Man Convicted of Dodger Stadium Murder - Los Angeles Times
Who brings a gun to a ball game?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think jumping to conclusions is a prerequisite of using the internet these days.

having attending major sporting events for 25 years, and being an athlete myself, I can say that most dudes who catch a beating at these things are running their mouths being dicks.

If that wasn't the case - If you are an adult, with the responsibility of children, you should know better than to get into shit with ignorant people. I can't think of a better way than going to a major sporting event, which are populated by drunk ignorant has beens and wannabes with shit to prove, sporting rival gear.

dumb

the media has already portayed him as a victim, and the public bought it, because the world is full of raging pussies, and being a victim is popular. don't ever expect to hear the true story.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't think that being beaten into a coma is the proper response to someone razzing another fan about a lost ball game if that is really how it occured. Apparently the perpetrator had his child with him during the beating. What rational person would expect a savage beating delivered by someone in the company of a child regardless of reason? What could a family man and paramedic say to a stranger in the company of a child that would warrant violence so bad that the victim's friends ran from the scene in order to not get hurt? What you're saying defies logic and I dont think applies here.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
It's a tough call. Yrs ago at a music fest some guys got into it over line of sight and one guy ended up dead when the other sucker punched him, he fell, hit his head and died.

Windsor businessman dies after fight at Bluesfest

I've seen the same scenario play out in my present locale after kids are out for a night of drinking. Most recently a pair of best friends...

I agree that the media does influence the perception of the situation and unfortunately not for the better. This is why I don't watch TV or read the popular medias.

I also agree that terms like victim, hero, SME and my favourite diva (not really applicable here but still) are tossed around like candy these days; people glibly take the meanings of words and pervert them for their own aggrandizement. It's an interesting perspective which can have significant impacts on the results of a case. For example, several yrs ago,

No doubt there was some level of interchange but I agree I just cannot see it justifying this level of violence. It takes an incredible amount of anger, energy and desire to hurt someoone to that level in front of family and friends and the public.

·
Once bitten twice shy...
1,980 Posts
Man... everyone knows the deal at a rival game between the dodgers and giants. Shut the hell up unless you got fam or twelve people with you and even then you might get mashed on, because the crews that run in that neighborhood are deep and set trip... you wouldn't catch me at a Bronco game wearing Raider gear talkin shit or inviting trouble. I know we don't have full story, and yes it shouldn't come down to that, but thats how it is. I'm not shocked at all. It's happened before and they knew it had. There is a total over reaction, people get their ass whooped daily by police who were in the wrong and there is no national out cry. Just another red herring thrown at you to distract you from what's really happening around you.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I really never understood the extreme rivalry by city teams! Its not like teams of two different countries which stand for two different things... for eg, US and Soviet Union, or India-Pakistan etc... where national patriotism etc prompts you to do stupid things... these are city teams for crying out loud, and its not war it is sport... if you have so much enthusiasm and energy then go train and become a player and take it ON the field... sideline fans acting like THEY did something is just pathetic.

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
This sh!t is unacceptable, but you MUST know where u are and who you are rooting for before you wave your team's flag. We went to Chicago as guest of the Mets and had an amazing time. Fans were great, stadium was great and it was just an awesome time. But you would be a fool to wear full Yankee gear to Fenway. NO ONE deserves this nonsense but you also need to keep in mind that you are surrounded by idiots who have consumed countless $9 beers and it's your responsibility to remove your child from this scene asap. Don't entertain the morons or poke the circus animals. It only leads to enraged stupidity.:eek:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
This sh!t is unacceptable, but you MUST know where u are and who you are rooting for before you wave your team's flag. We went to Chicago as guest of the Mets and had an amazing time. Fans were great, stadium was great and it was just an awesome time. But you would be a fool to wear full Yankee gear to Fenway. NO ONE deserves this nonsense but you also need to keep in mind that you are surrounded by idiots who have consumed countless $9 beers and it's your responsibility to remove your child from this scene asap. Don't entertain the morons or poke the circus animals. It only leads to enraged stupidity.:eek:
+1!

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I think jumping to conclusions is a prerequisite of using the internet these days.

having attending major sporting events for 25 years, and being an athlete myself, I can say that most dudes who catch a beating at these things are running their mouths being dicks.

If that wasn't the case - If you are an adult, with the responsibility of children, you should know better than to get into shit with ignorant people. I can't think of a better way than going to a major sporting event, which are populated by drunk ignorant has beens and wannabes with shit to prove, sporting rival gear.

dumb

The media has already portayed him as a victim, and the public bought it, because the world is full of raging pussies, and being a victim is popular. don't ever expect to hear the true story.
Son,
you've come up with some stupid sh1t here, but this is a keeper, I obviously wasn't there, but every media and witness report said the same thing; the victim was doing nothing other than wearing a Giants hat while carrying his daughter out of the staduim. The duo that assaulted him (pussys ran up from behind and punched him in the back of the head, brave move bitches...) then kicked and stomped his head while he was unconsious for an additional 15 seconds. The pair had been seen taunting others and trying to incite fights by several witnesses and on video. Some teams seem to attract douchebag fans (Raiders, Lakers, Dodgers, the list goes on and on....) who can always be expected to act like they always do (and are allowed to....) Just ONCE, I'd love to see a group of fans rise up and beat these bitches to a pulp! Maybe send a message to the unwashed masses out there that this behaviour will no longer be tolerated.

-Rocky-

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't been to a los doyers game in a few years.

security is good once INSIDE the stadium. in the park lot it's non-existent. it's amazing considering the parking fee.

lots of homies/gang banger types drunk and trying to start shit. the same type you see starting fires/vandalizing/looting after laker title victories.

couple years ago two of my friends got into a scuffle in the parking lot leaving a game. these two guys are the most laid back guys but they'll stand their ground if provoked.

I hope the family sues the dodgers and get a good settlement.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't Wayne Rainey get his head cut open by a rowdy fan following a MX race back in the mid 80s? I think he missed a race cause of it.

I've only been to a few pro stadiums for away games....Cincinatti Reds, Chicago Cubs, Atlanta Braves, Tenn Titans. I have never felt threatened once. I can't believe the local crowd did not jump in to help this fan.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I can't believe the local crowd did not jump in to help this fan.
When someone is acting like a savage, most aren't ready to respond in kind regardless of good intent. Especially passive Angelenos.
The layout of the parking lot makes it so that there are lots of places that are way out of the way, (read: possibly far from other individuals and very far from crowds that one normally associates with ball games) In fact some of it is jungle-like in it's layout. I still can't believe there are people here in this thread that think he deserved or should have expected anything near what he got for how he behaved, or even how you think he behaved or wore to that game. It's a pastime fer cryin out loud. Pitiful.

Here's a question for everyone. A motorcycle race is a sporting event like baseball, featuring winners and losers, with geographic rivalries and personalities coming in to play just like in baseball. Why aren't there fights at motorcycle races? Why aren't people beaten in to comas holding their children or shot to death wearing a jersey or hat from a rider from another country or rival manufacturer than one's own? Has anyone seen violence at a moto show? I'm not talking discord or anger, actual real raw violence with blood.

The worst thing I've seen at a moto race was the infamous "beer fights" at the Superbowl of Motorcross in July of 1982 at the LA Coliseum (people throwing free beer at one another, that's a problem?); or shitty treatment at Laguna Seca by SCRAMP and track officials. Other than that, the only other tragedy was Doug Domokos not making it all the way around the track on his back wheel that night in 1982...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Short track can get pretty physical after a race, but it's mostly in the pits, not the stands. But I think that's typical with any motor racing, even fookin' NASCAR fans seem to keep it together while being 6 sheets to the wind....
By the way, the beating took place ON STADIUM GROUNDS, not the parking lot, but the stadium.

-Rocky-

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
ok,

i live 5 minutes from Dodger Stadium. I have season tickets and i also go to many events in and around Chavez Ravine in the off season.

The traffic is no worse than any other big event that involves LOTS of people. If you know what youre doing, usually you can get in within 10-15 minutes and out of there within 20 minutes, HARDLY a bad deal, just have to have a clue. In fact, i enjoy walking up from one of the many great bars just at the bottom of the hill better and that only takes a 20 minute walk up to the entrance.

And lets get one thing straight right now, The Giants fan getting beaten at the game hit Dodger fans just as hard, if not harder, than it did Giant fans when we found out. THIS IS NOT THE NORM THERE...by ANY stretch. This is not what we want people to think of our fans or the facility, who would?
Im not going to sit here and say that when you go to Dodger games you wont encounter a bunch of idiots that have had too many beers and start talking shit....name one stadium that doesnt have that element? for example, I had my Dodger hat taken from me in Boston and shoved into a wall when i went to a game there, and the frikking Dodgers weren't even playing them of course, the group of 4 were still mad about the Lakers for christ sake. Did i see that as a bad example on Boston fans or their facility? no, i saw that as me running into assholes, period.
Overall, and for as long as ive been going to Dodger games (25 years now), the games always have many families, kids, teen and elders that fill the place and enjoy their time there every time, in peace. Yes, Ive seen my share of fights in there, it almost always involves two drunk assholes that can barely stand anymore and usually ends in quick action from security to take them away. Ive never ever felt in any danger while at Chavez Ravine, and neither does anyone that i know that goes to games with me. When i know im going to be late, my girlfriend will go in by her self, and watch the game by herself until i get there..... i would never do that if i thought she was in dangerous facility.

Ive heard enough of this "typical Dodger fans" crap lately in the news and blogs and whatnot...were not Raider fans, we get lumped in there with them, but thats an unfair association in every way. Raiders had the unfortunate endorsement of NWA (and others like it) in the 80's and automatically it attracted all that element into their fan base, and ruined it for many true football and Raider fans....nothing to do with the Dodgers.

There is not a single Dodger fan that doesnt want this **** face to be brought to justice right now, not one, i promise you.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Although I agree with your description of Dodger fans, I'd wager there is 50 people who KNOW who the perps are, in addition to a $100,000 reward, and...................silence.

-Rocky-

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Although I agree with your description of Dodger fans, I'd wager there is 50 people who KNOW who the perps are, in addition to a $100,000 reward, and...................silence.

-Rocky-
50 huh?

your insight is amazing. Thats a pretty large number of people you assume know and choose to not come forward. I would venture to say the only people that know anything are his buddies that were there and some immediate family.... and them not coming forward doesn't surprise me when coming from a family or friends that has such dirt bags in it.

i guarantee you they will catch this **** face.....give it time. One thing the LAPD is any good for around here, is catching these type of idiots, they dont make for very good criminals and get caught eventually.

BTW, aside from the $100,000 reward, theres also an additional $200,000 donated (so far) by Dodger fans for the victim, plus $10,000 by Giant fans. no one is taking this lightly around here.

Nearly $200,000 raised for Giants fan beaten at Dodgers opening game | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Some would theorize the high ticket prices would keep the "riff-raff" out of games. (I remember Cardinal outfield tickets were $8 in the 80's, probably five times that today).

I don't think the assclowns have been priced out however, a douchebag paying for a ticket to a boring baseball game will feel as though he has bought the right to make a complete ass of himself and get his money's worth. Already spent $50 on the ticket and $45 on beer, what's another $9 for one more brew? They get drunker and more stupid, and stuff like this happens.

In St. Louis, the only time I observed someone minding their own business and really getting shit for wearing another teams colors was at a Blues playoff game when the Redwings were kicking their ass in the series. But then again in my experience hockey fans in St. Louis in the mid 90's with Hull and company (Gretsky was also on the team during this time) had a certain swagger to them as they expected this to be "their year". Funny how fast a group of fans can get cocky when they assume a championship is theirs to lose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.