Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys get the proper size shims when you do your own valves? Do you just go to the dealership and buy the 8 specific sized shims you need after measuring? Or is there somewhere online that rents the shim kit?

·
Bemused
969 Posts
How do you guys get the proper size shims when you do your own valves? Do you just go to the dealership and buy the 8 specific sized shims you need after measuring? Or is there somewhere online that rents the shim kit?
My local shop (and most, from what I hear), do a shim exchange. Bring them the shims that you wouldn't be using and exchange them for the right size. I think they charged me $8 for two shims last time I adjusted the valves.
:twocents

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Remember that the VTR-SP/RC51 uses standard Japanese 9,48mm shims. These are not only used by Honda but by all other three manufacturers on a number of models including (but not limited to):
Yamaha FJR1300, TDM850 and WR450, Suzuki SV1000, DRZ400 and TL1000S/R, Kawasaki ZX10, ZX11 and ZX12... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.