More pics from the show here:
bike show pics Now with thumbnails!

Modified by Dezmo at 5:11 AM 1/9/2005

Modified by Dezmo at 8:19 PM 1/9/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Getting my knee down... (Dezmo)

they had that buell here at last years show. I'll be going to a bike show tomorrow, hopefull it'll be there. I want to see if I can drag a knee, without holding on to the inside(right) bar too tight. I noticed that when I'm hanging off, and the bike is leaned way over, I tend to hold myself on with the inside bar.
I saw a pic with some dude on a ducati, he's makig a left, hanging way off, with knee down, and he's skimming the road with his left hand. Other than looking very cool, that is the exact way you should be able to do it, so I'll have to try it out indoors, before I try it out in real life

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Getting my knee down... (Metcalfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metcalfe »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I saw a pic with some dude on a ducati, he's makig a left, hanging way off, with knee down, and he's skimming the road with his left hand. Other than looking very cool, that is the exact way you should be able to do it, so I'll have to try it out indoors, before I try it out in real life</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look here:

http://motorcyclistonline.com/...m.jpg

It's been my desktop wallpaper for a while now.

-Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Getting my knee down... (Metcalfe)

Interesting how you guys are dragging your right knee in a left-hand corner...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metcalfe »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to see if I can drag a knee, without holding on to the inside(right) bar too tight. I noticed that when I'm hanging off, and the bike is leaned way over, I tend to hold myself on with the inside bar.
...so I'll have to try it out indoors, before I try it out in real life</TD></TR></TABLE>

It won't feel the same, because when you sit on the mock-up all your weight is straight down. When you are actually cornering a bike, your weight goes down and out, at the same angle as the bike is leaning. So you feel your butt sinking straight into the seat.

This is why you don't need much pressure on the bars - or on your knee for that matter. The g-force holds you against the seat.

The Buell mock-up is fun to pose on, but as far as dialing in your riding position, you're actually much better practicing on a bike sitting on a swingarm stand. Sit on this stationary bike, and practice switching from side to side using your legs, and keeping your hands very light on the bars. This is much more comparable to what you want to do on the road...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Getting my knee down... (AZ Scott)

yeap i did try it and was like a monkey hunging from a tree... unrealistic.. they have streetfighter version halfway of crashing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That's the one ryan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting how you guys are dragging your right knee in a left-hand corner...

It won't feel the same, because when you sit on the mock-up all your weight is straight down. When you are actually cornering a bike, your weight goes down and out, at the same angle as the bike is leaning. So you feel your butt sinking straight into the seat.

This is why you don't need much pressure on the bars - or on your knee for that matter. The g-force holds you against the seat.

The Buell mock-up is fun to pose on, but as far as dialing in your riding position, you're actually much better practicing on a bike sitting on a swingarm stand. Sit on this stationary bike, and practice switching from side to side using your legs, and keeping your hands very light on the bars. This is much more comparable to what you want to do on the road...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right about the g forces. My knee just skims, but for some reason when I get the bike really cranked over, I feel my bicep flex as I hold my upper body on with my arm. I use the 'kiss the mirror' style. I can't do it with my bike on a rear-stand, cause it only happens with the bike at max lean. It's something I'll have to sort out on the track.
That damn buell wasn't even at the show today

Here is a pretty good pic of what I'm talking about, I pull straight down with my right arm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

AZ Scott said:
Interesting how you guys are dragging your right knee in a left-hand corner...

duuuude, he's going through the chicane!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Getting my knee down... (drsus)

that ducati pic just rocks

pedro, never seen a pic of scraping a ankle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Getting my knee down... (mrgrn)

if the photographer that was there had not been such a spac (my girly took that pic) I'd have one that would explain why the whole lower leg and boot is all scrapped. I got my whole leg flat on the deck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts