Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a portable generator just for running a set of tire warmers. I'm seeing some good deals on 1100's but a set runs roughly 1000. Wondering if people run a set on 1000/1100 or jump up to the 2000?

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
From the Chicken Hawk web site FAQ section:
How many watts do my tire warmers draw?

A Superbike set of warmers draws 1150 watts (550 Front and 600 Rear). A set of 250 GP warmers draws 1130 watts and a set of 125 GP warmers draws 850 watts. Custom built warmers and warmers for 4 wheeled vehicles require wattage to vary with size.

Check the peak v. constant output of the generators you are looking at... FWIW, I run 1 set of warmers off of a Honda 2000 generator.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at a 1100 constant that can do a 1500 peak. Most people go to the 2000 but thats a bit spendy for me. How loud is the honda? I'm looking to say in that high 50 to low 60 range.

·
I'm Just Quackers
714 Posts
Few things to note. Warmers are like light bulbs, they don't really have a minimal requirement per-se... they'll just suck everything your smaller generator can put out. I have an 850watt generator that runs my chickenhawk warmers no problem. Sure it struggles a bit, but always keeps my tires warm.

I suggest buying the best generator you can buy, even if its not as big as you want it to be. If you bought a 1000 Honda, you'll be totally fine for a set of tire warmers. The Honda's are also very quiet and thats a very important quality to have.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a 3000 ($350-$400), this way you'll be able to use when your lights go out at home from a storm, etc......Thats what I did....I figured why buy one just for my warmers!

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Ya get what ya pay for, the Harbor Freight ones are cheap Chineese pieces of shit. Get a Honda and forget about it 'cept for gas. I have let my 2000 sit for 6 months with old gas, and it'll start 3rd pull without fail, SUPER quiet too, WELL worth the extra $. (unless ya like buyin stuff twice!)

-Rocky-

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok cool. I've been recommended 1500 to 2000 but I might do the 1k honda or 1100 Honeywell.

Wouldn't mind a 3000 but I hate it when you are at a track day and people fire up those load ones. :)

·
2,737 Posts
In general you will want to load a generator to 60% of it's capacity.
Above that the output power generally gets 'dirty' with all kinds of spikes in the sine wave. This is ok for resistive loads like tire warmers but can cause problems with inductive loads such as electric motors. I'd go for the 2000.

Ideally I'd look for an 1800 rpm unit (4 pole generator) as they are quieter and use less fuel than the 3600 rpm units. Sniff around for a used unit out of a RV. These typically are 3500-4500 watts.

·
RC Slayer
282 Posts
I have a Honda EU3000 it works great, is quiet and runs all day. No problem with two sets of warmers.

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
Several years ago my CH Pole Position warmers were damaged by too low a voltage when a pit buddy decided to tap into my generator while my warmers were being used.

CH fixed them and upgraded the switches since they had upgraded the switch for all of their warmers.... Excellent customer service!

Subaru makes a nice generator and is a bit cheaper than the Honda or Yamaha.

One thing to also consider is the noise level... a cheap unit will make you very unpopular in a congested pit area. Especially when you move a noisy generator so the exhaust noise is directed towards other people... :cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I noticed that Home Depot carries a Husky 1850 gen for $450 that looks like its a quiet set up.
Based on how deafeningly loud my Husky Air Compressor is it's hard to believe Husky makes anything quiet!:)

Bought a Home Depot special Generator once. Had to a 150ft cord from where we stuck it out behind the porta-john the one time we used it. It was still annoying.

Get a Honda or a Yamaha. Be a good pit neighbor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look around on Craigslist. I found my first set of TennII warmers for like $20 and my second set of ChickenHawk's for like $50. If you can find a Honda EU2000 for a good price, grab it, otherwise the Yamaha or Coscto 2000w generator. The Honda's are the quietest, but the Yamaha and the Costco brand(which I'm pretty sure is a Yamaha) are cheaper , but way louder.
Also, I've got a buddy that uses the $100 HarborFreight 700W generator for his tire warmers and he hasn't had a problem with it, although it's a two stroke so you have to bring some premix with you to the track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts