Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, I attended the Intl' Motorcycle show at NYC. Besides the usual population of "Bling-riders", looking at Busa's for their first bike, I was shocked to find quite a few "misinformed" Ducati "Techs".

I stood there, and cocked my head to the side, listening to a NYC Ducati tech talk to a group of people about how the Ducati valves work. My mouth gaped a bit, when the tech started bantering about how the closing shim is held onto the valve with friction. Then when asked "What makes desmodromic valves better than regular?", the response was "Because they give the bike more horsepower, allow air and fuel to flow better into the heads."

No talk about the lack of valve springs, no talk about valve spring "float" in the early days. Nothing about the history. Just a vauge, and general statement about power.

I really dont understand why people have a hard time saying "I dont fully understand it." or "I dont know", versus spreading mis-information about things they dont understand. Its sad, really. Because now those 5 people that he was addressing, are completely mis-informed about the bikes I love so much.

Why? I just dont understand it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: General Ducati Rant (rebelpacket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rebelpacket »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This past weekend, I attended the Intl' Motorcycle show at NYC. Besides the usual population of "Bling-riders", looking at Busa's for their first bike, I was shocked to find quite a few "misinformed" Ducati "Techs".
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it aint got the bling, than it ain't no thang. Or something...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I stood there, and cocked my head to the side, listening to a NYC Ducati tech talk to a group of people about how the Ducati valves work. My mouth gaped a bit, when the tech started bantering about how the closing shim is held onto the valve with friction. Then when asked "What makes desmodromic valves better than regular?", the response was "Because they give the bike more horsepower, allow air and fuel to flow better into the heads."

No talk about the lack of valve springs, no talk about valve spring "float" in the early days. Nothing about the history. Just a vauge, and general statement about power.

I really dont understand why people have a hard time saying "I dont fully understand it." or "I dont know", versus spreading mis-information about things they dont understand. Its sad, really. Because now those 5 people that he was addressing, are completely mis-informed about the bikes I love so much.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Because most people don't know the difference anyway and 2. If it sounds "techy" than that's good enough to tow the company line.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: General Ducati Rant (hubert)

The "Aprilia Tech" Frank, was there and actually spun the cut open engine and was showing and explaining to all how it worked. He's been the only one as of late working on my bike's. "Rumor is" they will be getting Ducati at his shop shortly. Seems as if he works on more Duc's than Aprilia's there anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: General Ducati Rant (rebelpacket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rebelpacket »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No talk about the lack of valve springs, no talk about valve spring "float" in the early days. Nothing about the history. Just a vauge, and general statement about power.

I really dont understand why people have a hard time saying "I dont fully understand it." or "I dont know", versus spreading mis-information about things they dont understand.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I worked both the Honda and Ducati booths at the D.C. show last weekend as a volunteer for a local dealer, and I used the cut-away motor to explain the Desmo system. I used both the valve float and high-rpm benefits you mention when explaining the motor to passers-by. I also discussed the down-sides (complexity, friction), saying that this was one way a manufacturer attempted to solve some of the problems of rpms and getting gasses into and out of the engine.

Sadly, some of the factory reps and paid dealers' staff didn't know enough to talk to the attendees, and I heard them just make stuff up, at both mnanufacturers' section. It was frustrating to listen to them talk around an issue when the customers just wanted a straight answer. Like the 2003 VIN badge on the "2005" RC51 in the Honda section. All they had to do was tell the truth, and everyone would be happy.

Like you said, I can't understand why they don't just say "hold on and let me get someone who can explain that best. " Pride, I suppose.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: General Ducati Rant (spezjag)

That's one of the reasons I like my local mechanic so much. I've been in shops where the techs try to make up an answer to a question they don't know the answer to. But the techs at my shop are not only skilled, but if they don't know the answer to something, the answer isn't some load of crap but, "you know what, I'm not sure, let me find out and get back to you as soon as I can." It's nice to be able to trust the guys wrenching on my bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: General Ducati Rant (blueSS)

A person on a trade stand for Ducati at a show should act as an ambassador for Ducati, should live, eat, sleep and drink Ducati. If I was that customer who in the future found out about the misconceptions, surely it would seriously compromise their trust? They may well have been a customer for life! I do not know of anyone who having had a Ducati bought anything else thereafter without ever going back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts