Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a strange thing happen, went to ride off and it seamed like the gearbox was jammed, but then it came right and was fine for rest of the day.Checked for binding wheel bearings/brakes and they were fine.

It happened after I had ridden about 3km's and stopped at a intersection, so engine was at almost normal operating temp (it has done it twice at this intersection only, spooky:eek:).

Anyone had this happen to them, or thoughts of what is happening?,I'll be taking a closer look inside if it persists.

Im thinking it could be the oil im using as a cbr929, with the same oil did the same thing a few times ,yes at the same intersection!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Trying changing the oil with something different may be worth a shot and it's much cheaper than stripping the engine.
Your problem sounds very similar to what some people reported while using the Castrol Power 1 4T 10W-30. I personally had some gearbox issues with the Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-50 (seriously... who comes up with these names?) which were completely solved by switching over to another product.
Could be worth a try...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inspected the clutch plates and they where in good order, the last owner told me he had put new clutch plates in, but I noticed the last plate was not located in the shallow grooves as per the manual.So I will get it back together and change out the oil to what I normally use (mobil1 4t 10-40), I dont like to mention the oil I was using untill the problem is fixed.(it isnt castrol power 1)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can you explain the gearbox feelin "jammed"? Do you mean when you let out the clutch and tried to applied throttle it didn't want to move or what? Like the engine was loading up but not doing anything?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was like the back brake was locked on, bike wanted to go but could not.It actually stalled, even though it had plenty of throttle. not something you want happening when crossing a busy intersection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the clutch back together properly, changed out oil to Mobil 1 4t, hey presto no more problems.I cant say if it was because the last clutch was put in wrong or if it was the maxima oil I was using, but from now on im staying with Mobil 1 4t.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theres no way wrong oil could cause those symptons
It was not using the wrong oil, I am pointing in the direction that the oil is causing the problem, that the oil makeup itself has a problem.Seeing that I had the same problem on 2 different bikes using the same oil, and when I changed to a different brand the problem stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.