Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. My high school electrical training must have faded a bit. I am attempting to install my garage door opener on my 99 900ss so that I can hit an existing button to open the door without removing my hands from the grips. So I figure the horn button is a perfect momentary switch to use. I soldered the button on the opener so its active all the time, then I put two leads on the opener from the battery terminals. In theory, I should be able to provide a 12v power source to the opener and it will open the door. I first jumped the two horn wires, figuring they provided 12v to the horn. It turns out that the two leads to the horn are 12v, thats right, both of them. When you hit the horn button, the green wire turns into a ground. Even so, it should still work. What happened was that the horn button operated the opener as long as the horn was not plugged in. Once I plugged it in to the horn, I was getting 18v spikes to the opener. I am guessing the horn acts as a transformer and steps up the voltage somehow. So then I tried a power source straight off of the fuse block so the power lead to the opener is always hot, but the ground is activated by the horn button that gives the horn a ground. Now I've got the same problem: The opener works when the horn is unplugged, but only occasionally when the horn is plugged in, with or without the bike running. The LED on the opener lights as if its working, but the garage door doesn't open even though the bike is 5 feet from it. Is it possible that the horn interferes with the RF signal of the opener? I thought about the turn signals, but they would open and close the door, and I only got 7v spikes at the turn signal bulbs. Should I try the brake light or something else? I just don't get it, the horn should work perfectly, but something just isn't cutting it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brennan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Brennan,

I did the same thing but, connected it to the passing switch for the headlight. The only drawback to this is if you keep your brights on all the time.

In short I grounded the opener and simply connected the + lead to the passing switch.

BTW - Are you sure that your garage door opener is 12v ? I had to step down the voltage from 12v to 9v. ( Used a car adapter from Radio Shack )

Cheers-

·
Registered
94 Posts
y'all have it all wrong. all you need to do is tell the missus when she see's you coming up the drive get out and open the garage, if she complains let her know it could be worse at my house the missus has to open the gate and the garage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
yup. (The one from e-bay was e-z to install and works very well.) It works on any bike, just "ask the seller a question" and see if they have the one for your garage door, if you don't see your's in any of their auctions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just my 2cents....But I use the horn a lot more than my garage opener. Is it really that big of a hassle to reach into your pocket while idlng in front of your garage door and grab one of those keychain sized openers? Or is this more for the cool factor? Cause even I'll admit..it is sorta cool.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, its cool, but I need it. I've got a gravel drive and I'd rather not stop to fiddle with the remote. I could use a standalone switch, but using an existing one seemed like a better idea. And I don't want to use it in place of the horn, I want both to work. The problem is that with the horn connected, the door doesn't open. I dunno...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I connect it to the passin switch, it should only come on when that switch is activated, not the full-time bright switch, right? Is there a headlight relay, and if so, where is it? I should be able to splice into the input from the passing switch to the headlight relay, right? Thanks.

Brennan

·
Registered
376 Posts
On my bike, a '95 900s/cr, I spliced into the yellow/blk wire from the passing switch. Not sure what it might be for your's but a wiring schematic should answer that easily enough.

The down side is that when the brights are on the circuit will be energized. I never ran into an issue with garage doors opening up along the way....

The one additional thing I did was put a fuse in line for the garage door opener. It may sound like alot of hassles but I threw it all together in a couple of hours and would rate this a 2 beer project.

BTW - what brand of garage door opener do you have ? I've recently converted my bike to track only and I don't have much use for it now days....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a Craftsman door opener. I looked into the passing switch, thinking that the passing switch would only be hot when it was on, but its hot whenever the brights are on. Will this cause damage to the opener, leaving it on all the time with the brights? I'd rather not, but it might be neccessary. Thanks.

Brennan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts