Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The fact that neither is flying out of the shops (and not only because of the economic downturn) should speak volumes.
The FZ8 is a botched attempt to go after Europe's best selling bike, the Kawasaki Z750. How successful Yamaha has been luring in people away from the Big K can be gauged by the fact that one month after initial deliveries Yamaha was already offering 0% financing and three months later they were offering a free Akrapovic exhaust and some other goodies to go with the bike. Still no takers and God knows what they'll try next to shift that showroom anchor.
The Super Tenerè is not built to be purchased by customer. Pretty much like the Honda VFR1200F it was built to placate European dealers, which have been clamoring for years for different, exciting models to lessen their overeliance on scooters. The ST1200 was put together in a hurry and it shows. While it has none of the Honda's embarrassing faults, it's as expensive as a BMW R1200GS, weighs 30kg more, it's more thirsty and much less comfortable.
No need to get too excited... the new BMW six cylinder tourer will be much better. :D

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the FZ8. It is only a $900 or so more than the FZ6, but just seems like more bike to me. It might steal sales away from its 600cc cousin however.

BTW, the tribal graphics on the red/black 2011 R1 & R6 are HORRIBLE. Who approved that crap?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
BTW, the tribal graphics on the red/black 2011 R1 & R6 are HORRIBLE. Who approved that crap?
The survey agency who did similar jobs for Kawasaki and Honda. :rolleyes:
Seriously, you won't believe the unholy amount of money the Big Four spend each year just to come up with horrific paintjobs not even a coked-out squid would buy.

Or something we could have ridden WAY back in the days.

I have nothing against old-style paintjobs but the coordinates for the Col de la Bonette are so insanely retarded they could have put those on a '80s Gilera 125 two stroke aimed at 16 years old.
How about "let's take one of the best looking bikes on the market and make it look completely silly so NOBODY would possibly want one"?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
^ Liking the last one:eek: , sorry . I admire Yamaha for trying to produce unusual bikes from time to time b/c it's better than Honda's conservatism , but unfortunately their pricing is ridiculously high . These ambitious stylistic exercises often flop ; case in point , the neat MT-01 which is "selling" for 1/2 MSRP here in Canada ! The ST1200 will not sell well either when a BMW can be had for similar bucks .

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The MT01 was never sold in the US which is a shame. A big V-twin in a sporty chassis would possibly have done OK.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
The MT01 was never sold in the US which is a shame. A big V-twin in a sporty chassis would possibly have done OK.
I seriously doubt it would have done any better Stateside than it did in Canada.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts