Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have discovered a leak from the base of my fuel tank, Is there anything I can do to resolve this short of a replacement tank?.....Ouch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fuel tank leak 2000 Sp1 (Just Riding Along)

Thanks for that.

That explains why I could not find my post

I have talked to a couple of dealers today....they completely deny any knowledge of this problem.

£350 + vat for a replacement....that will be my riding finished this year

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Fuel tank leak 2000 Sp1 (yoshimuraboy)

Couple years ago PB did a piece on the RC and that was one of the points they touched on. I've got it at home, but can't recall the month/year. It also had the ZX-6 launch. Find it and show it to the clueless shops.

Guy in the UK called Roger Ditchfield at Revolution is supposed to be a RC51 wizard. He might have some words of wisdom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yoshboy
Have your dealer call a honda rep. I went to my local dealer with this problem and got a blanck stare when I explained the leak. Soo I asked him to call a honda warranty rep and in 10 mins he had a warranty authorization #.Just make sure to take your vin#

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (rockn6gs)

The big problem here is the bike is out of warranty... it is an 2000.

but it is the seem on the tank that is leaking, this must be a build fault.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (yoshimuraboy)

It's more than a build fault, it is a safety issue that is completely separate from any warranty claim.

You can have a ten year old car, and if the seatbelt starts coming apart from a manufacturer defect, they have to take care of it by law.

Bypass you lame ass dealer and call Honda direct. They will refer you to a local dealer and forward the claim for you. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have talked to Honda after sales about my problem before they can comment, they suggested I take it to a Honda dealer to get the leak confirmed. I have done this and my local dealer has confirmed it is leaking from the seam (£30 +vat). My dealer has talked to Honda, Honda have told them that they will not do anything as I am not the original owner. This does not seem right, there is no damage to my tank. This must be a build fault.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Man that suks, like they dont have another tank to toss out to keep good relations with thier custy's, and protect thier own ass's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well.....sent another letter to Honda to say how fed up I am. Have just received a call from my local dealer to say that although Honda officially will not do anything as the bike is well beyond warranty, They admit that a fuel tank should not leak from the seam and want it back in Japan to examin further. They will supply a new replacement FOC, I have to pay for any labour.

I am over the moon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You can replace the tank yourself, it takes about an hour (my first time (bet my wife wishes that too)) to switch the tank out. Then you don't have to pay the labor rate, and you're 'even' at that point. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had my tank replaced under what Honda called a "goodwill" program.

They wouldnt let me replace it myself.

Cost me $100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made so much mess last time I took the tank off!!! I think I will let the dealer do it. knowing my luck, I'll only damage it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.