Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

After not being able to ride the rc51 all freaking season due to multiple issues w/the gas tank needing to be fixed, she is at last ready to ride.

Before i sent the tank out to be fixed, i drained all the gas by allowing the engine to run it dry. i then turned on/off the master switch to make sure as much fuel was pushed out etc. and then shipped the tank off to be fixed/painted.

So when i took the tank off no issues.

I now got the tank back, hooked up all hoses and the fuel pump wire and nothing? I turn the key, everything lights up like normal. I flip the master switch on the right clip on and i hear a click in the rear tail section area, see the pc3 light up and do its thing and resonds to throttle inputs, but the fuel pump does NOT do its normal primping sound.

There is a 1/2 of tank of fresh fuel and the bike will turn over but obviously not fire up.

Thoughts?

I have gone through all the fuses i can find, looked at the service manual but that didn't seem to help much. The only fuel pump like fuse i can find is the 25 amp PGI fuse in the tail.

Again, before i sent the tank off no issues, all worked. Now the fuel pump won't prime?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Check if the 3P fuel pump connector is fine (non pinched wires etc).
Check if the fuel cut off relay is working fine.
Check if wires coming out of the fuel pump are fine.

Must be one of those.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check on all wires visually look ok, all connections are made, i even swapped relays to ensure one wasnt stuck, all seem ok. i even checked the voltage in the wiring to the fuel pump and i get power.

so, i think the pump did take a dump which i am glad is in my garage vs on the road, but totally baffeled as it worked with zero issues up until i shipped it off to get fixed.

so, before i solicit for a pump (of which i had just put a new filter on) does anyone have anything else i should check?

I even disconnected the battery just to see if there was something "stuck" w/the ecu or whatever, nada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What kind of repair was done to the tank?

How long ago did you remove it? Is it possible that some left over gas dried up and gummed up/stuck the gears? Maybe spray some carb cleaner up inside the inlet and let soak.

I would jumper power directly to the pump connecter and see if you can get it to "break free" by tapping the connection (like flipping a switch on and off, if that makes any sense).

All I can think of off the top of my head right now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i have a member that can sell me his so before i pull the trigger:

1. how do i "jumper" it? like just directly hook it to the battery?

2. what gears am i looking for? like where in the pump? b/c i did change the filter before i noticed the tank was still damaged 3 months ago so i kind of know the pump.

3. the repair that was done was from when F..king USPS damaged it in shipping causing a crack and it leaking fuel on the top left corner

4. fuel wise i mean i can't imagine there was any b/c when the bike stopped on its own from running out of fuel i fliped the master switch several times to make sure i got as much as i could out plus flipping it over to get anything else out.

5. is there anything more in the relay system to look at?

F..k me this bike has been nothing but a Pain in my ass!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the fuel pump. i followed the instructions on in the service manual, it said it was the fuel pump, so i got a new one from ron ayers. pretty simple swap.

And then it all worked and she fired right up! So, all is well again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.