Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get stuck in some traffic, the bike cuts out. I turn the key off then back on and the fuel pump won't start. The engine turns over but it won't start up.

If I let it sit for a little while, like I did today while waiting for the tow truck, it will cool down then fire right back up. But it won't run very long though.

This is an entirely new problem that I never experienced before. The bike has 9100 miles on it. Well, most the bike. The engine was completely rebuilt at around 6000 miles all on Ducati's tab.

It definitely sounds like a thermal problem with a relay or something. Any ideas? I already checked for pressure in the tank. There wasn’t any. And, yes, I checked the fuse.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Fuel pump not working when the bike is hot... (YellowDesmo998)

See if you can trace teh loom and check ALL connectors, is you fuse holder one with a spring?, check the spring tension if it is, also check your air temperature sensor to see if it is dirty, disconnected or faulty.

Hope this helps, that is where I would start.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Mine had a similar problem that drove me nuts trying to figure out. Bike ran fine until the motor fully warmed to normal operating temps, then would stall at idle or run rough below 3K rpm. Spent hours going every sensor and connection on the entire bike. Finally changed the fuel pump, problem solved........ YMMV

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Fuel pump not working when the bike is hot... (TK)

Check the ven't and make sure they are venting.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Fuel pump not working when the bike is hot... (section8superbike)

i'm with jason on this one. venting can be the main cause. especially when you mention that it only happens when the engine is warm/hot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Fuel pump not working when the bike is hot... (ducKing)

Nope, not a venting issue. I already covered this in the original post

Come one guys, I’m not a total noob!

The wire harness coming from the generator (alternator) is fried where it meets the wire harness near the voltage regulator.

The theory is the bike was running off the battery until the voltage dropped enough to kill the power to the ECU and in turn the fuel pump.

My theory on allowing the bike to cool down seems to have been wrong. When in fact the battery was re-generating some power and allowing the fuel pump to kick back on, buit only for a minuet or two.

They are replacing the generator, voltage regulator and the battery. Does this sound feasible?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YellowDesmo998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, not a venting issue. I already covered this in the original post

Come one guys, I’m not a total noob!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would think that being sarcastic with people that are trying to help you is not exactly the best idea in the world.
Especialy when you consider that they are trying to diagnoss something over the internet.

"I checked for pressure in the tank" doesn't exactly sound like "I checked to see if the vent lines are clogged or pinched" to me. For all I could tell you popped the cap to check and see if there was fuel coming back into the tank from the return line.

But to answer you last question.

Firtsly fix the wiring, then>

Test the output of the generator, if it's bad replace it, if it's good>

Test the battery voltage at the terminals while the motor is running. It should be about 13.75-14 volts. If it's low or high it's probably got a regulator issue. If it tests fine>

Check the battery voltage with the bike off. If it's below 12 volts charge it. If it won't charge over 12v replace it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Fuel pump not working when the bike is hot... (section8superbike)

Yeah, the voltage form the generator is 0. They are replacing that too. It was suggested to me to solder the wires coming from the generator directly to the wires near the voltage regulator. Basically removing the plug that sits in between. I was told this would eliminate the problem from happening in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts