Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The mechanics could not tune my Monster (900 ieS 2000) because the injection system is not clean enough (rough iddle). He told me to ride the bike to remove the dirt..I was wondering if I could put some additive in the fuel to accelerate the process. I found a Motul product for motocycles with carbs or injection. I must say I am a little afraid to put it in the Ducati tank...Is there any potential problem with the use of such a product on our ducati?
Thanks!
ML

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Fuel additive (vfr31)

I don't see a problem with it.

A Ducati is made of the same stuff as any other bike.... it's just more expensive.

I'd run it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Fuel additive (vfr31)

Gasoline is itself a solvent that is formulated with detergents to keep your injectors and fuel system clean under normal driving conditions. However when you shut your engine off, fuel system components that see direct heat from the engine, bake the fuel causing buildups of waxy, tar-like deposits. When you restart, the gasoline again acts like a solvent for these deposits but over time they can build up, especially if you tend to take mostly short trips. After about five years/50,000 miles they say that you can expect your injectors to be 10-20% clogged, even if you regularly add an injector cleaner to your fuel. Deposits elsewhere, such as in the throttle bodies, is usually of no concern unless they cause some sticking of the butterflies.

The tiny orifice of a fuel injector nozzle is the most susceptible to fuel system buildups and contaminants such as rust or fuel line particles that make it past your fuel filter or are introduced during repairs. The injectors always have to be removed in order to remove any foreign bodies. Such injectors dribble fuel out, and show asymmetrical spray patterns that reduces fuel vaporization and consequently engine power. An injector should spray a fine mist.

Injector cleaners contain chemicals such as toluene (normally found in gasoline at lower concentrations) that need to be diluted with fuel to avoid damaging fuel hoses and o-rings. So, even if used regularly, these cleaners won't remove tough deposits in low-flow areas. Further, these cleaners can damage expensive oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Professional cleaning services remove the nozzles anduse ultrasound equipment to scrub the deposits off. This technique vibrates the injector (while it pulses) with ultrasound waves that then breaks up the accumulated deposits.

The most common problem with injectors is they accumulate a buildup of inside the injector and on the pintle/seat area. The injectors are manufactured to such close tolerances that a 5-micron buildup (a human hair measures about 70 microns) will reduce the flow up to 25%.

After 50,000 miles worry about it ...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Fuel additive (Shazaam!)

Who is this guy? Is there anything he doesn't know? Damn!

Shazaam, I'm going to print all of your posts and publish a book.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Fuel additive (DesmoBob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesmoBob »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who is this guy? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he's Steven Hawking... or at least a Ducati equivalent.

Or... he's some lonely guy in a mental institute with too much time on his hands.

Or... he's a guy who is really really really reeeeeeally is into this stuff.

Or... maybe he's a computer... maybe his real name is ...HAL.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesmoBob »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Is there anything he doesn't know? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmmm..... Shazaam...what's the square-root of an isosceles triangle...?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Fuel additive (Shazaam!)

Thanks four your help!
I just bougth the bike (5 years old, 13000 miles). The previous owner used it very few the past two years ...The mechanics tried to removed most of the deposits but some are left...I know another mechanic who has ultrasound equipment for cleaning carbs (so I suppose according to your very interesting explanations that it can be used for injectors also), I think I'll bring the Ducati for professionnal cleaning...
ML

1 - 6 of 6 Posts