Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i seem to be have a problem with my front tire cupping, it is a dunlop 208 zr, i have heard it can be caused from impropper tire pressure, so with the tire i have on, i have made sure to check it every ride, but it still is cupping, anybody have this happen, or have a solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JJSRC51 said:
Hey guys, i seem to be have a problem with my front tire cupping, it is a dunlop 208 zr, i have heard it can be caused from impropper tire pressure, so with the tire i have on, i have made sure to check it every ride, but it still is cupping, anybody have this happen, or have a solution.
Might help if you say what pressure you are setting your tires at.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Are you getting any weird feedback or vibration from the front? If so then yeah you might want to check the pressure along with balancing. Otherwise the 208 cupping are pretty normal for me near the end of the tires life without any weird feedback from the front. That's just my :twocents

·
'51 Freak
164 Posts
Often times cupping is a result of suspension issues...

Every pair of 208 zr's I've had cupped, more so in the rear, but after some suspension adjustments (firmer in my case) the cupping was reduced.

Go for the GP's (or Sportmax)!! You'll love'em!:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually run the recommended pressure, 36 i believe, and yes the tire has some miles on it, no unusual vibration or handeling problems. There seems to be plenty of tread life left on it, thats why i thought it might a some other issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mycirus said:
Ditch the Dunlops and get some Pilot Powers.

Bruce
Ya, that is my next pair of tires, will probably wait till next spring before i buy them. Riding season is almost over and just put a new rear on a month ago, but will be going with the michelins next.

·
Tough Crowd Racing #162
1,775 Posts
Seems to be a common problem with the Dunlops. After the first set I switched and have never had the problem again. :twocents

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re:

I've never ran Dunlops due to picky issues like cupping. I also know that Bridgestones have a really bad issue with cupping the front tires. I personally run Pirellis or Metzelers and have never had cupping issues at any tire pressure.

·
Trailer park trash
339 Posts
I have seen the regular D208 front tire cup on a 600RR, ZX12, etc. Like the others were saying, it is not an isolated problem.

When I had a set of BT010's on an F4i, the front tire started to cup also. These were all on streetbikes BTW, no track time.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Cupping is normal period...

This has been posted at least 600 times on various boards verbatim

The tread causes cupping. Under braking the soft rubber is being pushed into the open grooves and that causes that rubber not to wear off. So at rest it goes back to its normal position and ends up being higher.

·
Registered
338 Posts
LDH said:
Cupping is normal period...

This has been posted at least 600 times on various boards verbatim

The tread causes cupping. Under braking the soft rubber is being pushed into the open grooves and that causes that rubber not to wear off. So at rest it goes back to its normal position and ends up being higher.
Yeah, seen this on my bike and my buddy's R1. Has little to do with the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts