Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently suffered some front-end damage from oil, chips, lean angle and a guard-rail support. :banghead The results were a severely damaged front rim with a torn tire, leaking fork seals and a need for several new pieces of plastics.

Looking down the front end from the riding position and from the front of the bike gives the impression the front end is straight. However, from the side i get the impression the front tire has been pushed towards the bike (this is the rake i assume). It could just be me but i do not know how to measure such an alignment issue. I would like to here from someone knowledgeable on such a topic: how to check/measure the alignment of the rake and what those measurements should be? Is this information located somewhere on the web, if so where? Should i just head over to Rogue.com?

I have searched this site and only found one thread about this issue and it did not answer any of my concerns. In the past, folks here have been extremely helpful with such issues, especially Robert (SP2pilot) but this may be just beyond my understanding at this time. Let me know if i need to provide additional information.

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance in this matter. :notworthy

"F" "U", in advance, for any smart-ass comments over this matter. :woot: :rockon

·
Registered
382 Posts
Crude, simple, effective: Find another RC51. Take a tape measure and carefully measure the distance between the center of the axles. Note where the chain adjusters are.
Take the same tape measure and carefully measure yours. Take the chain adjustment into account. What is the difference? If it is over 1/8" different then maybe you should check out GMD Computrack.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
if the nature of the crash was a direct impact straight in that bent the wheel,...I fear the least of the problems will be a bent set of forks.

Supprt the bike on a lift that holds the bike up from under the triple tree, wheel off the ground. Remove the front wheel and lossen the pinch bolts on a fork leg. slide it down aprox. 5 mm, now rotate it. if it is stiffer to rotate once lowered then when it was at the stock posistion,. well you just bought a set of forks. If the forks are bent remove them and take them to any shop that has a set up to "roll" them and get a measurment to determine how far they are bent. less then .5 mm is actually usable. if over 1 mm the triple clamps are probably wack as well. Get the bike apart and have it compu-tracked as soon as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks oljackboy and SP2Pilot. Sounds like I may be in for a heavy repair bill. What might I expect in price for straightening the front end, if I have tweaked the neck?

I called a GMD Computrack dealer in Scraton, PA (closest i could find) and they told me to bring a rolling chassis and a working engine. Yikes!! Might it be worth using the old girl for parts and purchasing a new one?

Thanks, again for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts