Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question in regards to Tightening the Front Axle. Ive done many tire changes and have always used a thin screw driver to hold the axle in place (2 holes in the axle )while I torque the axle bolt. This method worked fine when I used a front stand designed to hold the bottom of the forks since it was possible to lock the screwdriver somewhere on the stand. Now, I am using a Triple clamp stand, and I just want to know if there is more direct means of holding the axle since there isn't anything for the tool to rest against to keep the axle from spinning. Thanks for any insight.. I had my buddy holding the little screw driver today, trying to counter my attempt to get 43 lbf-ft of torque

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok not trying to be rude here but why don't you do it the same why you do the Cr450 tighten one side (opposite the axel nut) pump the forks while holding the front brake. This seats the axle. then tighten the axle nut then the other fork pinch bolts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive yet to remove my CRF wheel, Dirt tries last longer.. hehe.

I do tighten the opposite pinch bolts, which should keep the axle from spinning, but it doesnt. I follow the manuals instructions, just figured the 2 holes on the axle opposite the nut where put there for a reason.. I cant make them work to my advantage with my fork stand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: ([email protected])

I just use handle of my small T handle screwdriver to hold the left side of the axle while torquing the axle nut. The I torque the right pinch bolts, cycle the front supension, and then finally torque the left pinch bolts. Not really critical that the index line shows as they say in the manual. Just make sure everything is torqued with out binding. After everything is torqued, I usually cycle the front end again, to make sure everything is still moving smoothly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts