Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
roadkill said:
Don't forget that a lot of the early Jeeps were made by Ford.
Nope It was a ford Design manufactured by Willys Overland Corp. The feds Shafted Ford on that one But good. Some of the 41-43 +or- a couple years had Ford, Willys and a Third company (Whos name i dont recall) Parts on them. they were all interchangeable. I miss My CJ2A. It had a Flat Head 4 with 4"of lift and 33X9.50 -15 BFGs on it. That little Mother would go anywhere.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
TBONE said:
Nope It was a ford Design manufactured by Willys Overland Corp. The feds Shafted Ford on that one But good. Some of the 41-43 +or- a couple years had Ford, Willys and a Third company (Whos name i dont recall) Parts on them. they were all interchangeable. I miss My CJ2A. It had a Flat Head 4 with 4"of lift and 33X9.50 -15 BFGs on it. That little Mother would go anywhere.
Dude....you really missed this one. You have it all wrong...the design was by the American Bantam Car Company, a tiny company that had extremely limited manufacturing capacity and could not even begin to make the vast quantity that the war demanded. So the government took that original design and let Willys Overland and Ford handle the volume production. Ford made thousands of Jeeps during WWII.....Henry Ford was one weird fella....he insisted that the Ford logo be on EVERY nut, bolt, spacer, gasket, washer, whatever. Why? So if the government ever tried to stick Ford with a defect claim, ole Henry could look at the part and truthfully say..."nope, it ain't mine". Type this into dogpile.com (link does not work) http://members.dialmaine.com/jeepguy/history.html/

During WWII, the government claimed the right to manufacture ANY product by ANYONE they damn well chose. For example, the M1 carbine was manufactured by Singer Sewing Machine Company, IBM, General Motors, Saginaw Gear, Rockola and others. I have an M1 carbine made by Rockola, the jukebox people.

Other examples....the B-17 "Flying Fortress" bomber designed by Boeing was made by several other companies as well, the same for the B-24 "Liberator" bomber designed by Consolidated but made by a whole list of other companies, the Grumman "Avenger" dive bomber actually had more made by General Motors than by Grumman, same for the "Hellcat", "Wildcat" and others.

If the government paid for the design, then it was "their" design and the made whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted, by whoever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Guess that is why we won. Not all war crimes involve kill'n, not all kill'n is a war crime. That was the last "no holds barred" war to be fought by us. Wonder what the Middle East would look like right now if we'd have gone in with that menality. So much life has been lost because our politicians aren't willing to go all the way . . . kinda like Honda's engineers. It is painful to watch these half commited engagements. Be it wars, liter bikes, or divorces, half commitment sucks!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
BTW, the government also shamelessly stole other people's designs as well. Major example was a British government request for another supplier of the pathetic Curtiss P-40 "Kittyhawk" as they were desperate for anything that could fly...so they contacted the North American Aircraft Company on Long Island, NY to be another supplier of this wretched creature...NA took one look at this ugly duckling and said, nah. So they, on their own money came up with a completely new design and said, this is much better....so they made a few on their own money and the British tried it out and were wowed and so ordered hundreds. The American Army Air Force was following this process and ordered some for their own evaluation....it just totally outperformed anything that they had ever seen that they were speechless...so they told NA to make them some, too. It was the P-51 Mustang. No more blunt-faced air-cooled radial engines, now a very streamlined water-cooled, V-12 that had longer range, higher speed, better flight envelope....truly world changing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.