Speedzilla Forums banner

"best" fork kit: penske, ohlins, or race-tech?

• penske

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ohlins

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • race-tech

Votes: 3 21.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what do you guys like?

the patient is a monster s4r that sees a good amount of street and canyon riding w/ a track day or two in its future.

i've heard that the ohlins kits can be "harsh" on the street and that the penske is more "plush". i'd think that the harshness could be tuned out, no?

are the ohlins and penske kits better than the race-tech? worth the money?

i'm looking for something that can smooth out the crappy (los angeles) freeways and soak up the bumps in the canyons.

thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i included the poll as an easy way to keep track, but please include your annecdotal responses as well.

thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1 on GP Suspension. Sent my adjustable stock showas off and returned finely tuned track weapons. I think I paid @ $400 for springs, cartridges, and all else that is related to a fork rebuild. Came back dialed in out of the box!!!

Suspension guy at Club Desmo days felt they were just about perfect after he zip tied for compression and measured for sag. Pretty impressive IMHO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I replaced the stock internals with Race Tech on my s4 and it helped but not as good as replacing the forks w/ the Ohlins. Night and day ;) depends on how much you want to spend though. The Race tech stuff is affordable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had forgotten that traxxion was now using their "own" valves and not the penske kits.

by all means, please provide feedback on all..

i'm NOT looking for go "full bore" on something like the ak-20 cartridges.

Thanks, guys!

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
GregP said:
+1 on GP Suspension. Sent my adjustable stock showas off and returned finely tuned track weapons. I think I paid @ $400 for springs, cartridges, and all else that is related to a fork rebuild. Came back dialed in out of the box!!!
I had the same great experience with my GP Suspension. I also went with a Penske 3-way rear shock. The set-up rocks! :notworthy

I almost went with Olins front & back but several racers convinced me to go with the GP Suspension/Penske combination. :rockon

·
Registered
432 Posts
What is "Best"? Best is a moving target and has many variables like price, application, perceived quality, technology, etc. For me, my SS is a tool for twisty roads and doesn't see the track and I opted for Race-Tech treatment by BCM and am happy with the results. If I did more track days I might have spent more money, and if I raced my requirements would be different and I might have done something else, but I am guessing for most people the differences between your 3 listed options are imperceptable. Now if your last name were Rossi...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's why i included the type of riding i do and excluded the cartridge kits.

also, figure a budget of <$700-ish...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I feel it's more about who is setting the kit up, picking the right springs, etc. A hack suspension guy could take any one of these kits and make the bike worse.:twocents

We prefer Ohlins kits because we have done a lot of them and have a lot of setup data. Not to mention, well......there Ohlins:D

·
Sharks in your mouth.
1,262 Posts
I'd go with the KTECH 20mm kit from BPD. Remember though, that once you make the front better, the rear will now require attention so plan on (possibly) spending $250 to revalve the rear shock and another $100 to respring it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have the ohlins kit in my showa's and there far better than before:rockon They were set up at section8 in january I think?

Im also pondering on selling them, any interest let me know will take all offers:D I have ohlins R/T on my mind:banghead the showas are the old style 40mm mounts but I have the adapters that are set up for 65mm, and there set up for 195lb rider.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
For the FWIW department: I am likely not the best person to suggest what to do to your S4R Monster, as I have never been in to one of those sets of forks. If it is a set of Showas like come on the Super Bikes, the damping system and calibration is not that bad. Always start with your sag settings and look at spring rates first. On the Super Bikes the springs are stiff for the average rider but they are single rate and that is a good thing. We have spent a lot of time developing the Penske internals to some of the other forks like the SS, and 851. We have experience with conversions (mostly road and track day bikes) using Ohlins, Race Tech and Penske. Of those, in my opinion the best results come with the Penske internals. I totally agree with Jason and the set up your getting makes a lot of difference. The Ohlins valves seem to really address the fact that on the track and in the hands of an expert rider some of the fastest measured travel excursion of the forks comes from the braking cycle. For that reason, the Ohlins use quite small ports to help achieve an aggressive high-speed damping curve. Many street riders have complained of harshness on some of the typical road irregularities that cause rapid fork compression like expansion joints and potholes. Section 8 may have the magic shim arrangement to alleviate this issue. We have “fixed” a few sets of forks for folks who have complained of the harshness by modifying the Ohlins suggested stack. The Penske internals use a 2 stage damping system that allows a little more latitude in how they can be set up. GP suspension use a VERY similar setup. I will say this with certainty, setting your bike up properly with the correct sag, ride heights, spring rates and damping curves for YOU is well worth the investment. On bikes with sub pare damping components like the SS the transformation is just out of this world. If you were closer by, I would suggest you ride one of my bikes to see for your self. I can provide some references on the west coast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts