Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am starting this thread to get the opinion of countless people on this forum who have been exposed to different forms of motorcycle racing/riding.

I have been riding since 1993, but only about 10% of my riding experience is on the street. 90% of it has been WERA and CCS Racing and track days,etc.
I currently have an Aprilia RS250 which sees 1-2 track days a year (due to life and work restrictions).
My son is now almost 9 and has been riding his PW50 for 4 years. I had planned on getting him a 70cc dirt bike but I am having 2nd thoughts.

I am thinking about investing in pocket bikes for both my son and I so we can enjoy a hobby together, with my track bike and his fun-dirt bike, we arent able to enjoy riding together.
I am hoping that the pocket bike racing will allow me to share whatever little I know about road racing, and it will expose him to something I know he likes, and will let him experience a whole new form of motorcycling.

What do you guys think?

Is he better off riding the dirt bike and its better for me to joing him in the dirt?
Get us both pocket bikes and have some fun? (on tracks/mini tracks only of course)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Riding dirt was by far my best education on two wheels, I'd keep the little tyke doing that until he feels the need to switch to asphalt, or injury forces him to make the decision, as was the case with me. Riding dirt taught me how to manage traction better than anything else could have, and I and many others feel it is a precursor to being a skilled road rider as well. Better yet, do both.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Take him dirt riding he'll learn a skillset that will be an advantage on any two wheeled vehicle and it's a softer landing.
KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Cobra all make wicked 65cc off roaders, the Suzuki and Kawasaki are more supposedly the softer option whereas the KTM and cobra are more race orientated bikes.
My boys have had both the Kawasaki and KTM and preferred the KTM.
Honda do make a semi auto 70cc but it's heavy and not as easy to ride IMO.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Riding in the dirt allows a larger margin of error before a serious crash. He will go down but it will be at low speed and relatively soft ground.

It also teaches riding techniques in low traction situations, both wheels sliding sometimes.

But probably the biggest advantage is that unless you have easy access to several paved tracks, riding off-road allows for much more opportunity to practice. Find some friends with land, or go to riding areas. Much more freedom to try different things to learn how to ride a bike. Playing with something as simple as a ditch or pile of dirt can teach them more about bike control than many laps of a kart track.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I agree with all the above....dirt bikes improve two wheeled skills more than anything. Pro road racers train on dirt...not vice versa..both are ideal, but if you had to lean in one direction....get a dirt bike....02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.