Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a leaking right side fork seal. I bought new seals and bushings for both and replaced following the manual. Wasn't that bad of a job, I take it as a learning experience.

Now my question...The center bolt on the bottom of the fork leg (the allen bolt) doesn't tighten all the way on the left side fork. It will screw down to where the o-ring seals and is just set in far enough from where it wont touch the axle, But it wont go in any farther. I will just spin, not freely, you have to use some force to turn it. Now looking at the right side fork the center bolt screwed in all the way and stopped and is tight to where there is no more tightening.

Back to the left, I disassemble the fork again to check threads on the center bolt and the damper and they are fine. I try to tighten again and again with same results.

I feel as thought the bolt wont come out or loosen up on me but that's not enough, I'd like it the same way as the right side.

FWIW both forks are at the same length, axle goes in without having to compress one side or the other.

Any input or suggestions?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How bout the left side center bolt doesn't appear to sit in as far because the axle hole is bigger on the left than the right?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The center bolts are exactly one and the same (same parts according to Mr Honda's EPC) and same torque to be applied (34 Nm).
Only thing I can think about right now is the centering plate may be incorrectly positioned on one leg.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The center bolts are exactly one and the same (same parts according to Mr Honda's EPC) and same torque to be applied (34 Nm).
Only thing I can think about right now is the centering plate may be incorrectly positioned on one leg.
I would think if the center plate was out of position I wouldn't be able to start the center bolt? The center plate kind of snaps in place at the bottom of the fork leg.

·
Hen Pecked
170 Posts
are you using a fork damper rod holder tool to hold the damper rod while tightening the cap bolt with the allen wrench?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you using a fork damper rod holder tool to hold the damper rod while tightening the cap bolt with the allen wrench?
No I'm not, The service tech at the local dealer said it was doable with out. I did put the cap on then tightend the center bolt then removed the cap to fill with oil.

·
Hen Pecked
170 Posts
Well...possibly done w/o. Wanna learn from my mistake? First time I did it w/o the tool. Rt fork held fine. Left fork lasted about 100 miles. Oil blowing through that bolt with every stroke. Bought the tool, and another set for seals, now all is well.

I'll admit my bias, also. I don't trust dealer techs. They once returned a bike to me with the tripple clamp bolts only hand tight. Never again, I said. Now when there's a screw up (as above) I can only curse myslef. :banghead Good luck with the fix. It's likely not seating all the way in because it's missing the threads of the rod.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...possibly done w/o. Wanna learn from my mistake? First time I did it w/o the tool. Rt fork held fine. Left fork lasted about 100 miles. Oil blowing through that bolt with every stroke. Bought the tool, and another set for seals, now all is well.
Alright I'm a believer now, I'll run by the dealer monday and barrow theirs.

Thanks for the input Fish!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I would think if the center plate was out of position I wouldn't be able to start the center bolt? The center plate kind of snaps in place at the bottom of the fork leg.
F*** me. How could I not see that? :banghead

Mental note: do not reply threads when you have just come home from work. :eek:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...

Just a little update...I was able to borrow the damper rod holder from my local honda shop.

I put the tool on the damper and tried to tighten the center bolt with no dice, it wouldn't tighten anymore. I remove the tool and the center bolt spins (with force)

The left (shift side) side center bolt is still not reset in the fork boot as far as the right....I have put a few miles on it with no signs of leaking oil.

Like I said I don't think the center bolt is going anywhere, Torque spec. is 25 ft lbs, I don't have a metric allen head socket set to really use my torque wrench so I used a regular allen key with a 12mm wrench on the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts