Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those Colorado folks, what if anything is required to get your bikes to run correctly? ECU mods? Is the lack of air a real problem?
Or did you just roll the bike out of the crate, fire it up and go. Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: For those who live at altitude. (DocHolliday)

The Ducati EMS computer modifies its fuel map based on the altitude info from the atmosperic pressure sensor so as to compensate for altitude variation. I recall that the range of altitudes is restricted to elevations below some of Colorado roads so the bikes still run somewhat rich at the higher elevations. The reason that the sensor is given a limited range is because when they fail the bike runs very poorly at more commonly experienced elevations. Consequently, Ducati limited the maximum altitude that the system would provide a proper fuel adjustment. However, as I recall, there is a model of the FIM Ultimap Eproms offered that modifies the atmospheric pressure trim so that it can be used for higher altitudes. Of course, it too will cause the bike to run badly if the sensor fails.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: For those who live at altitude. (Shazaam!)

Both of my bikes have PC III's w/ custom maps. Does this mean I my need to get bikes remapped. I may be moving from sea level to 6000'.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If you're going to do most of your riding at higher elevations, it makes sense to get remapped rather than accept a standard correction for altitude.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I currently live in Colorado and have had the experience of moving to sea level and then back to Colorado. Altitude is a big deal, but not in a tuning sense. Your bike should run fine without any mods, but can always benefit from the proper air/fuel mixture regardless of altitude. The thing you will notice, if you have never ridden at altitude, is where did all the power go? Because of the thin air you lose anywhere from 3-5% of your power for every 1000 feet you go above sea level. A rule of thumb at Bandemere speedway (drag strip) is to subtract 1 second from your 1/4 mile time and that's what you would have done at sea level. So unless you plan on putting a turbo on your bike its going to feel sluggish compared to sea level.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: For those who live at altitude. (ymiller996)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ymiller996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.............. Altitude is a big deal, but not in a tuning sense. Your bike should run fine without any mods, but can always benefit from the proper air/fuel mixture regardless of altitude. The thing you will notice, if you have never ridden at altitude, is where did all the power go? Because of the thin air you lose anywhere from 3-5% of your power for every 1000 feet you go above sea level. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to be a dick and say this:.....so you say that altitude is no big deal - you will only lose 3-5% of power -(don'tworry about it) EVERY 1000 ft.
I can't or won't give a nod at that percentage toss......but regarless - if that is your world - i'm tuning for sure

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: For those who live at altitude. (throttlehead)

I live at 6000' (Wyoming) and I believe the 3-5% figure is right. When I take my bike(s) to sea level, they scare me
(in a good way).
Joe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: For those who live at altitude. (Joe B)

I'm in Colorado, Alamosa to be exact, and up here the Valley floor is 7400Ft. When I pulled my SPS out of the trailer after picking it up from Texas (where it ran great). The bike wouldn't idle at all, and looked like a crop duster with a trail of black smoke it was so rich. After a PC3 it runs great (I know it's down on power
) but still gets a little loapy at idle up in the mountains. My wifes '02 Monster 620 ran a little better (it may have been previously adjusted, it was bought in Colorado), but still pretty rich... a PC3 fixed it up also.

Are you looking to move up here?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
throttlehead, I think you need to go back and read ymillers post again...He never said it was "no big deal". He actually said the power loss was a "big deal". He was saying the tuning issue should not be a problem. Don't get the two things confused...just because it's down on power doesn't mean it runs poorly. Two different monsters (no pun intended) I ride up to 6,000' quite often and my bike runs great. Low on hp, but still no other problems. I am at the end of the day however, very thankful I live at 63'. It's actually pretty dang cool how the bike feels after riding in the mountains all day and then come back down to the house. It's like getting a new bike all over again!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (galaxy)

Galaxy, Thank you for explaining to Richard (no offense Throttlehead), what I wrote.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts