Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ive had this bike for a long time... got it all back together and noticed some problems and you guys helped me out a bit.

Problems I had-
would not idle without choke, even then it was rough as hell. Bike would run fine but below 3k and when giving full throttle the bike would shudder.

The bike also TOOK FOREVER to warm up.

So today i checked the plugs, looked "ok" . When I went to check the thermostat to see if it was stuck open, I noticed there was no coolant in the system?

THis now makes me think the bike has been sucking down the coolant, causing it to idle and run like shit and run cool.

From what I can tell there is no coolant in the oil.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Fill her up with coolant, start again and check for signs of white smoke(coolant) coming from the exhaust...
I hope i'm wrong but this might end up by replacing head gasket(s).:(

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She smokes like crazy when you first start her up.... white smoke from under the bike everywhere. It goes away after awhile but it takes a good 5-10 min.

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
From what I can tell there is no coolant in the oil.

What do you guys think?

Make SURE of that first. If you don't wanna throw out the money for an oil change, drain the oil into a CLEAN container, and if it's ok after checking, pour it back into the engine. You can't see shit through the sight glass aside from oil level...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strider,

Roger that.... thats all I did actually, look through the sight glass. Ill drain some oil tonight when I get home.

It would look milky or cloudy if it had water in it right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmmm, if there's smoke from underneath your bike it's looks like a leaky hose/radiator/overflow bottle, leaking coolant on your header. This might turn out good for you !!
Check all coolant hose connections for leakage, this could be your lucky day !:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuurio-

Ive checked... the "smoke" leaks out of the flanges where the mids connect to the header....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I had somewhat similar problems before with the coolant being low.

I kept on having to add coolant only after having the same symptom you have stated with the low coolant. It wouldn't idle well and it would run rather cool even after riding it for a while.

The reason why it was cool because it was low in coolant/water due to a small leak that I could not find anywhere. It turned out to be the small tube on the right side of the fairing. It comes from the right side engine cover which houses the water pump as well. The leak was from a bad water pump seal. I replaced the water pump and all has been good for the past 40k or so.(water pump seal went out around 60k or so and are repairable so you don't have to buy a completely new pump..it was just faster and easier since I had a spare availiable)

The coolant temp was low because the fluids were lower than the water temp sensor on the left radiator(sp1) until it over heated and boiled over. Of which time the temp numbers on the gauge went crazy with super high numbers(when the now super hot coolant/water touches it) and much cooler/lower numbers(when empty air inside the radiator when the water level surges)

So I am thinking you might have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you're sure you don't have external leakage gettin on your header, fill up your coolant reservoir till max, and check with running engine if there are air bubbles(exhaust gasses) in it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys... im going ot toss some new plugs in her and fill her back up to check for leaks... Ill let you guys know how it goes...

Ill see if I can get some footage of it all going down so you can see what im talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts