Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just machined down the flywheel from my 94' M900, took one pound three ounces off of it. Is this about the same amount as others have taken off?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For reference, stock flywheel on my '00 996 was 4 lbs, and the Nichols unit I installed is 8 oz.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (erik996)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erik996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nichols unit I installed </TD></TR></TABLE>
you can get really light if you wanted or just look here
http://www.nicholsmfg.com/flywheel.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (04749s)

Thanks for the info. Guys. I'm very familiar with the Nichols flywheel. I have one and their light clutch basket on my 888. I'm only doing the M900 flywheel because I have a machine shop and several friends have asked me to lighten their stock flywheels because they don't have the money for a Nichols.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: flywheel weight (marvin)

Being ignorant I was wondering just what a lighter flywheel would do for you. I would imagin the motor would spin up faster but there has got to be a down side, there always is and what would that be. Going to a lighter clutch basket would do the same thing even though it is not turning as fast, yes- no?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
down side...if your bike is not perfectly tuned you will most likely have some stalling issues without the weight of the flywheel there to give momentume to the flywheel at low rpms.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also (correct me if I am wrong) when I talked to AMS (Jeff Nash) about putting a light weight flywheel in my 996 he advised against it as he said there is not a make that has not come apart at some time or another in a bike causing big damage

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Karlb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Karlb »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also (correct me if I am wrong) when I talked to AMS (Jeff Nash) about putting a light weight flywheel in my 996 he advised against it as he said there is not a make that has not come apart at some time or another in a bike causing big damage </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's the first i've EVER heard about that!!! kind of hard to believe so i certainly hope it's not true.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Its possible that Jeff was refering to improper installation, meaning if the nut isnt locktited and torqued correctly the flywheel can come loose and then big things can happen.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Karlb »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....there is not a make that has not come apart at some time or another in a bike causing big damage </TD></TR></TABLE>

I gotta call bullshit on that.

Also.... I run the Nichlos tiny flywheel. No stalling problems at all. Not Ever. Never... not at all. Zip, zero. No problemo.
I've removed a total of about 18lbs of rotating mass in basic engine stuff and wheels.

There is nothing bad about that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (Mental998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its possible that Jeff was refering to improper installation, meaning if the nut isnt locktited and torqued correctly the flywheel can come loose and then big things can happen. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its possible that Jeff was refering to improper installation, meaning if the nut isnt locktited and torqued correctly the flywheel can come loose and then big things can happen. </TD></TR></TABLE>

now that makes more sense. has nothing to do with the flywheel.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have to give Nichols a thumbs up as well. I have their flywheel and clutch basket set up in the 888. HUGE difference in the way the bike spins up. Also only issue I have is it takes a few extra minutes to warm up on the choke, once warm runs puuurrrrrfect.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont think he was talking installation as he would have done the install on it since we were talking upgrades when I was having them do the cams, if he had said it was a good mod I would have done it then thru them so basically they walked away from money on it.
Just my experience but it was good enough advice I won't put one in.
I did have to ask him on two different occasions (first time he didnt tell me why)why he didnt think I should put in a lightened flywheel before he said he had never seen one that hadn't come apart.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
marvin: i have a diagram from bruce that i'll use as a guide someday soon to machine a 2v one down.

but i also have a 600 flywheel - the stamped piece of plate one - on order to weigh to see how light that is.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (brad black)

Brad, I'd be interested in seeing the diagram. I just did two of the Carby flywheels. They started at 4 lbs. on one of them I just removed the back "ring" and the outer circumference up to the "lump area, whacked off 17 oz. On the other I also turned a taper on the inside ring, out to the timing dots. removed 19.5 oz. I am just interested in what others have done.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: (marvin)

My question is how the hell do the come apart? Unless someone machines them down to unbearable specks…..but I don’t think anyone will be selling that…..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts