Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the mid pipes and cans are very similiar in bend and construction between the Moriwaki hi-mounts and the Sato Bonzai systems.

Which one flows better? I know the internal packing is probably quite different, and with my Mori's I get a lot of back fire during decelleration. (Yes, I have the correct map)

Do the Sato hi-mount's back fire as well? Is it worth the upgrade to the Sato's?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Stan are you getting backfiring or popping? Popping is helped by the pair mod which helps scavenge the exhaust. Mori and Yosh are the same. Sato has a differnet internal baffel between the left and right can. Popping is a result of air to fuel which left unburt in the exhaust. A backfire is generaly caused by mistiming.

·
'51 Freak
164 Posts
I have the Sato Banzai and I get a bit of "popping" on hard deceleration, I am partial to them however from all the exhaust reviews on this and other forums I would say that they are comparable...probably not enough benefits to justify the costs if you already have the Mori's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EvilTwin-05 said:
Stan are you getting backfiring or popping? Popping is helped by the pair mod which helps scavenge the exhaust. Mori and Yosh are the same. Sato has a differnet internal baffel between the left and right can. Popping is a result of air to fuel which left unburt in the exhaust. A backfire is generaly caused by mistiming.
My mistake.. It is 'popping' that I am hearing. Not back firing. Is this inherent to the hi mount systems? I did not notice this issue with my '01 RC51 + Micron full system (standard mount)

Flapper and Pair mod was done on both bikes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the Mori's and really don't hear any popping or back-firing. The bike does have the pairmod and a custom map.

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
No the high mount are not the culprit. Its inherant to a low back pressure system like the Mori , Sato and even my Yosh carbon race baffle which are in the stock mount angle. The trick is not to be completely off the gas. But barely cracked and still creating compresion braking. Very difficult to master but Oh so effective on a twin. Kinda draggin the brake.

Now try it and let me know if you find it usefull. You might not and then again you might just be that much faster into and mid corner. But there will be atime when your completely off the gas but this technique will greatly reduce the annoyance.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
EvilTwin-05 said:
No the high mount are not the culprit. Its inherant to a low back pressure system like the Mori , Sato and even my Yosh carbon race baffle which are in the stock mount angle. The trick is not to be completely off the gas. But barely cracked and still creating compresion braking. Very difficult to master but Oh so effective on a twin. Kinda draggin the brake.

Now try it and let me know if you find it usefull. You might not and then again you might just be that much faster into and mid corner. But there will be atime when your completely off the gas but this technique will greatly reduce the annoyance.
:clapper That is THE trick and the joy-joy just gets better when you seamlessly drop a gear and power out:clapper :clapper :clapper

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
sp2pilot said:
Or just let it pop and fart, drop a couple gears and hack it into a corner. :woot:

It works for me:D
:D It's all good:clapper

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
By those numbers it looks like the Mori's are producing more HP...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whats up with the dip on the Moriwaki's at 6.5 K?

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
That dip is much worse on others. Moris do a very good job at flattening that out. The stock has a huge drop and even a good number of aftermarket ones also. Go over to RC51.org and look at the dyno charts to get a brief overview. I am sure you'll see your pipes are pretty good. Especially for a street application.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've owned both Sato Banzais and the Mori High Mounts.

The Satos are the ultimate.... for sure. They produce so much midrange that you almost can't believe it's the same bike. Even with stock gearing the bike becomes an animal. They do however have a slight flat spot right past 7k that bugs royally. With so much midrange, even the slightest dip is unpleasant. Also, the huge midrange tends the make the top end feel soft, since around 8k they make about the same power as stock.

Satos = MONSTER LOW AND MID

The Moris, on the other hand, produce and nice surge down low around 4k almost like the Satos. The midrange softens a litte but still blows stock away. But then the fun returns, because the Moris have an awesome top end rush where the Satos fall off slightly.

Moris = good low and mid with a nice top end surge

They feel very different from each other for sure. The Sato do give more punch and are much much lighter and much much louder.

However, one would be foolish to sell his Moris and buy the Satos (for simply power) since both are awesome.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
I have had Mori High Mounts as well as the current Banzais I am now running. In my humble oppinion the Moris are abetter pipe. Not for the power. But for the freakin noise these Sato's Make. I mean shit they set the alarms in cars off in front of me....My Moris where loud but the Satos are so far beyond loud.

As far as seat of the pants. I can tell you the Mori vrs Banzai argument is rediculous. The bike may seem faster because it sure as hell sounds faster. But I don't think the minor difference is truly something that you could feel with out a dyno to prove it.

·
'51 Freak
164 Posts
I get wood every time I hear my Banzai's!:woot: But they are DAMN loud, it took me a couple laps to adjust to them initially and the first time I rode them on the street I felt like a total noise-blasting asshole! but I definitely got over that! I dig them now!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Micron's i've had before, were a bit louder than the Mori's I have now.

To be honest, I kinda missed the noise :)

Hmm... this would be one reason to upgrade to the Satos. Plus, I love the way the low-mounts look.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts