Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rear tire of my 05 800ss has a radial flat 'spot' about 2" wide. there are no 'chicken strips', so don't go there. i ride about 50 percent canyons and 50 percent street. my fianace has been riding with me a lot lately, and it has been in the upper 90s here lately - i don't know if that has to do with anything, but there is actually a 'ridge' between the radial flat spot and the rest of the tire profile, if you can even call it a profile any more. i just took the bike to the local dealership to get a fork seal replace under warranty, and they said they have never seen it before, but there is no way michelin or ducati will do anything about it. any advice? has anyone seen this before? thanks for the help. i'd be lost without this board....

Modified by quickdraw at 9:53 PM 7/19/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Flat radial 'spot' on rear tire (quickdraw)

How many miles on the tire?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickdraw »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3,000</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you spend time commuting or 2 up riding then it's not unreasonable to see more wear or accelerated wear on the center of the tire; for example, at 5000 miles, the rear on my SS was more of a l_l shape v. a new tire , or a tire that spends more time on its side, which has more of a U shape.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'd say it's just worn out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Flat radial 'spot' on rear tire (number_nine)

really? is that all i can expect out of a set of tires? 3K miles.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickdraw »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really? is that all i can expect out of a set of tires? 3K miles.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be able to get 5k out of em.

Do you check your tire pressures regularly; ie, before every ride??? Proper inflation goes a long way in extending the life of your tires.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pilot Sports do wear more quickly than the newer Pilot Power. Did you actually CALL michelin yourself? Perhaps they could mail you a coupon to help you stick with the brand and try the noew pilot power. ??

Good luck,
Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (chris_k)

The life of the rear tire is coupled to the use of the throttle but the highway mileage will kill the center of the tire. This flat spot isn't unusual and will begin to play havoc with the handling if it gets too square.

I only get 3K out of a rear on my 748. Metzlers were tha last set. Powers are up next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts