Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the name "Speedzilla" show up on another forum and it sparked a vague memory... so I wandered over and checked in.

Looks like the site is still here, but the users have all moved on. Well, the cool ones who ride Ducatis anyway...

So what's the deal? Anyone here still ride Ducatis or has everyone switched over to Japanese ADV bikes?

·
Administrator
36 Posts
Welcome back Sir. It may have been me who mentioned the site over on CafeRacer? No, not much happening on the Ducati front. The site seems to have been dominated by Ducatis and RC51s in the past.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it was a zombie thread on Ducati.ms that was asking about original members. Then I discovered that VS just bought the advrider site too, which many people are viewing as the end Advrider as we know it. I thought I'd check and see if this site even still existed and here we are. I was surprised to see I signed on here over 20 years ago. I'm getting old.

I was a moderator on a Ducati superbike forum. It was amazing how quickly that site went from busy to nothing. I'm not sure if it was because they got bought out by VS or Facebook took over or whatever, but once it was bought out by VS we got a couple messages about the new kids in town, then nothing. The site sat around for years with no activity other than spam until finally one day it wasn't there anymore. Me and another mod would go to the site once or twice a year to post something in the mods section just because.

Kinda hard to envision why this site is still around judging by the lack of activity. Ducati.ms seems to be the default Ducati forum these days - I think I can say that cuz VS owns them too.

Ducati.org is another one, but look at that, owned by VS. And not exactly a thriving community.

Cafe Racer, VS owns it. Will it survive? Who knows, it stumbles along with mostly newbie content.

Do The Ton? Holy crap, not owned by VS! But dying anyway. The frequency of posting is miniscule compared to what it used to be. They're probably just trying to keep the lights on until the VS bot targets them and buys the site.

Truth be told when I saw VS had bought advrider I was pretty bummed. Absolutely no good can come from a corporation owning every motorcycle (and car, and who knows what else) forum that has over ten users.

End of an era in my book. Forums are a dying breed, VS isn't the only reason but certainly isn't helping.

I didn't really expect to get any replies to this post - it was kind of the cyber equivalent to yelling "hello" into a canyon just to hear the echo.

·
Administrator
36 Posts
I don't know what is going on with forums in general. I am volunteer - not VS corporate staff. The trend is the same on all sites, I think you are right with Facebook. From what I have seen VS has bought up a lot of sites that started out private in the early 2000's and were very active for a number of years but died off a bit and the original creators no longer wanted the hassle. Spam is brutal now and a small "mom & pop" type site can't keep up. A lot of the owners just wanted out but couldn't bear to shut the site down. Even as a guy active in the VS world I see that it isn't always a good fit for them to come in.

·
Administrator
11 Posts
I appreciate your comments and I'm not sure that VS is the issue. If anything, they are hosting forums that would probably disappear otherwise.

It has been my opinion also that Facebook took the big slice from forums. They developed an easy app that anyone can use and set up. Like print magazines, forums are an older media looking for relevance and have probably sought their level.

The good part is that forums are this great repository of information that FB just does not seem to fill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts