Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a mint '00 RC that caught my eye while taking my '00 F4 into a local Honda dealership for inspection. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a twin for some time now and really liked the RC51. I originally was going to purchase an R title and just fix it up but I couldn't pass on this deal. The bike only has 6,200 miles on it and is spotless. The bike is basically stock except for a chopped fender, double bubble screen, dual Jardine cans and a power commander. I knew the salesman and he gave me a pretty good deal (at least I think) $5.400 for it. I am new to twins and after the test ride I was sold on it. I currently have an '00 F4 that I purchased new back in the day and I also have an '03 Gixxer 1000 that I also had since new. This is my first used bike but from what I could tell looks well taken care of. I bought the 2 year Honda protection plan just in case but I hope to have good luck with it. The power is so unique from it and I just took it for a quick 3 mile spin. My F4 is quick in the turns but a more relaxed daily ride where as my gixxer has loads of power, spools it on quick and carves like a champ. But for some reason I fell in love with the massive torque and broad power band that poors on from just 3k on the tach. Any words of advice or things that are worth adding to it? I know the model change history of the RC is slight and mostly involes color changes but I am really happy with it already and I haven't even picked it up yet due to a massive storm that moved in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: First V-Twin (blazeword)

welcome. 5400 sounds like a nice deal, the changes from the years involved the swingarm and rims also.i believe they changed something with the throttle bodies also but im not sure.A friend that i ride with has the gixx 1k, theyre nice but the rc has soul.Enjoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You have only begun to know our joy. I would suggest a power commander IIIusb, your new baby tends to be a little gitchy in stop and go situations, i ride mine everywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Where in PA do we have a massive storm?? Its dry where I am. Welcome to the RC. Great bike. I recently did the 520 conversion and changed to 15-41 and was really happy with the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: First V-Twin (1literduceater)

FYI - No stupid wheelie, burn out, sneaker wearing, helmetless questions please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: First V-Twin (1literduceater)

There were a lot of changes made to the bike in 02', every other yearly change has been paint and coatings etc. (I have an 01' with 13.5 K miles)

- In 02' they went to lighter 5 spoke rims, a better/lighter subframe (which changes the rear wiring harness, and ECU position), a better/longer swing-arm, bigger throttle bodies (different ECU to compensate I believe), more holes in the fuel injectors, a lighter exhaust, and a larger but lighter upper fairing brace.

I have been on the track with many, many, RC51's and the 02+ aren't any faster.
IMHO upgrading the throttle bodies, assosciated wiring harness, and intake stacks won't gain you much if anything.

The ones that count; the lighter 5 spoke rims. The lighter stock exhaust (doesn't matter for you, you have aftermarket). The longer swing-arm is supposed to be more rigid vertically, but more flexible laterally (full lean), it is supposed to be a nice improvement but I haven't ridden a bike with the 02+ swinger yet (and of course you wouldn't be able to tell a difference unless you run at the track). The lighter sub-frame may make it's way onto my bike someday along with the swing-arm.

Good luck with the new bike. That mileage is low and It probably is as good as it looks. (the Jardine single can is way to friggin loud, I hope the dual exhaust is a bit quieter- this from a guy with Sato's)

Hoov.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: First V-Twin (pitbull)

It came with a power commander III but it is serial. Does the USB have any more features besides faster interaction with a computer? The bike seems dialed in pretty good, but I did have it stall on me once after I blipped the throttle on a down shift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Your idle may be a bit low, set it at about 13.5K RPM.
Do you know if the Pair mod has been done, it generally helps the bike run better with aftermarket exhausts. (See RC51.org, "Mods" page, "Pair removal" for more details).

I still run with a PCII, I will do the different PCIII research when mine finally dies.
Certain "quickshifter" devices need a certain type of PCIII, so if you ever wanted to install something like that you will need to research it. I myself would run that PCIII until it died though.
Hoov.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

congrats and welcome to the darkside. Take out the CC and get ready to spend spend spend

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: First V-Twin (pitbull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pitbull »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have only begun to know our joy. I would suggest a power commander IIIusb, your new baby tends to be a little gitchy in stop and go situations, i ride mine everywhere.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
"gitchy in stop and go situations" Are you talking about the snatchy throttle response? The On/Off characteristic of the fuel infection? It bugs the shite out of me in traffic and on some turns. So I was wondering... Will a Power Commander III cure this flaw or at least alleviate it to some extent? I've only had my RC for a month and would really like to smooth out the throttle a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: First V-Twin (Area 51)

Everything i've heard/read about the PC3's is that they should smooth out the twitchy bitchy characteristics in stop/start traffic. I ride my SP1 every day to and from work in Sydney CBD (only cause i absolutely love the bike to death) and found it a challenge. After a month or so you'll get the hang of it but I can't wait till I get my PC3 if it will make it a smoother ride.

Another thing, i've also been told is to get a 15 tooth front sprocket aswell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: First V-Twin (krisr)

I've done that, 15/42.
A little bit lower would be perfect for the roads that I ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts