Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took about a session to get used to the new bike, but after that it was all good. 70 degrees, sunny all day, and just a little wind. Not a bad way to start off a track season.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: First Trackday of the year! (wolf44)

Sweet bike!

I'm seriously looking at one for track day duties, I'm just a little curious about it's handling characteristics.

What are your thoughts/impressions?

By the way, I don't know if this was your first track day ever; but welcome to a new addiction.

Cheers,
D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: First Trackday of the year! (Quac)

It handled ok but definately need to get the swingarm, and forks braced and possibly the frame. It had a tendancy to wollow a little when leaned over. I rode an RC around for one session and where i was getting wollowing with the Rex I couldn't even tell there were bumps with the RC. Other than that it was great. I think I shifted around 3-4times per lap, which was really nice as I could concentrate on lines and hitting my marks. I very interested in how it will handle after I get the braces and some new suspension goodies. Oh yeah I'm addicted to Track

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wolf44 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Took about a session to get used to the new bike, but after that it was all good. 70 degrees, sunny all day, and just a little wind. Not a bad way to start off a track season.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rub it in.

I was at the same track the day before. Temps never got over 45, but the wind speed did... also, first session of the day was on a wet track that was also covered with (I shit you not) WORMS.

My bike, my leathers, everything was crusted with earthworm meat after the first session. Slippery bastards.

Wind was so gusty that when I would roll off the throttle coming into turn one, sometimes the bike would accelerate. Scary scary scary.

I never got any significant heat into the tires. They look virtually new after nearly 170 miles of chasing (and passing) R1s, CBR600RRs, etc. This from a track that normally boogers up my tires by the second session of the morning. Come to think of it, I never touched a peg down either. It was not a high performance day, and I didn't learn a whole lot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: First Trackday of the year! (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everything was crusted with earthworm meat .... </TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

On that first day I was on the straight going into turn 1 leaning aginst the wind at about 20 degrees trying to not get blowin off the track. That kinda freaked me out knowing I needed to get on the brakes hard right as the gust strarted to blow me off track. On the next day I got to ride CSBRacings ZX10 (Josh Hayes ex Attack ZX10) That bike was incredible!! LOADS of power, great brakes, the slipper clutch was cool and gave plenty of confidence going into the corners. Also got to ride a 1000rr with full Ohlins setup... bumps on the track? What bumps on the track!!! Now I want to get Ohlins for the RC. The second day was way better without the wind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Is that guard rail as close to the track as it looks? Yikes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: First Trackday of the year! (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is that guard rail as close to the track as it looks? Yikes!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It used to be closer.

That's the only corner in the whole place without miles of run-off. It's not nearly as scary as say, any corner at Gateway International.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: First Trackday of the year! (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is that guard rail as close to the track as it looks? Yikes!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was standing at that corner in the mid 90s during a WERA race and saw a racer lose it into that armco. I was about thirty feet from the poor guy laying on the track. He died on the track right in front of me. It was a terrible day, what was really strange was long before anything was announced, everyone just knew some how. I can't put into words how eerie it was to be at a race with complete and total silence except for a distant crying from a wife/girlfriend. I mean no one was talking, not a word all you could hear were birds and the crying. They have since moved the armco considerably back but I still clearly remember the day. I have done track days there since they moved it and the corner is OK now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the literature I've been receiving in the mail it looks like more track day organizations are starting to invest in air fences.

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wolf, I was one of the CR's. I was impressed by your riding ability...you looked good out there.

I was on a flat black bike#798 Indysuperbikes

When are you coming back to putnam?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (ShingleMonkey)

Does anybody know who was taking pics at the track. Like sliderphoto or something?

Modified by rc-rick at 3:31 AM 4/6/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (ShingleMonkey)

For sure in Sept for the next CO day but maybe sooner. Works kind of a pain to get away and I've already taken off quite a few days for Barber. Thanks for the complement by the way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts