Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did my first ever track day Sunday at Firebird East in Phoenix. It is a short 1.25 mile course, not overly complicated but fun none-the-less.

This is the first time I have ever seen images of myself riding, and damn my form sucks. This is a great time for me to practice my riding form for the next trackday in september. I think I am doing just about everything wrong
I was reqiured to be in the black group since I was a track virgin, but because of my performance will be moved to the white group (intermediate) at the next track day. I will schedule some time with some on track instructors so I can work on my form.

I don't think I have ever had so much fun in my life. Here's a few pics, please, laugh all you want, but we all have to start somewhere I guess.

Turn 1 setting up for the 1/4 mile straight (the longest on the track)

3 pics of turn 10, final turn before the start/finish line (hey, at least I am consistant)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: First ever track day!!! (AZ-rc4me)

congrats! cool pics.

looks like you're doing more leaning than you're bike.

(just giving you a hard time)

it's fun, isn't it? the best part - the more track days you do, the more you realize you need to do more track days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: First ever track day!!! (AZ-rc4me)

bravo my freind..practice makes perfect..my 1st time is even worse than u..even now..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: First ever track day!!! (5150)

I am already beginning to phase out my road riding. That was so fun, I can't wait for the next. I figure the price of a track day per month is less than I spend on the 4 250-500 mile trips I take each month witt friends. And less likely to cost me in the future with a potential ticket, or the ultmiate penalty, my life. Here is Arizona, no one looks out for motorcyclists, and deaths are common place. Plus I have to drive 200 miles round trip just to get to the few really nice twisties, which are littered with Police. Like some places in Cali, you are automatically guilty of a crime if you are riding a sport bike.

Besides, the RC is much happier on the track, those commutes to the twisties SUCK!!

And oh yeah, we usually have 2 track days a month, every month

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (tutzo51)

Love them, very comfortable and vent well. It was about 107 degrees at the end of the track day (half day) Took a while to break-in the pants, but now they are awesome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats, I got hooked last Spring, loving every minute of it. I have three more track days planned at Pocono this summer. Looking forward to another VIR North day as well before the end of the season.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't be too disappointed by anything that you see in the pics from your first trackday. You've been riding on the street and the track is absolutely different...night and day. Slide your ass and upper body off the seat more, get your upper body down over the tank more, and you'll get that knee down soon enough. The bike is already getting over pretty well and with a few more trackdays to build your confidence and skill you'll find that you feel more comfortable and get faster all the time. You'll also find more confidence on the street as you gain skill on the track, so trackdays are a definite win-win for the rider.

Have fun...I've reserved slots for two more this year and I can't wait to get it on again!

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (mcoomer)

I totally second everyone's comments here. Congratulations on your first track day. One thing though - get that wallet ready for tires and such. The track is addictive to us riders man!

Also, ABSOLUTELY go at your own pace. It is a track day, not a race. I had been riding for quite a while, and I am not ashamed to say the track was the first time I leaned my RC enough to touch knee in a turn.

All the best!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Wim_rc51)

Sweet! I did my first track day in Las Vegas on July 3rd (Over 110 degrees). Man what a blast!
Going to SOW on September 2nd for my second taste, sure there will be many more to come. I had a guy follow me around with a video camera and was able to see my somewhat shitty body position, then here is a pretty good pic of how I was doing by the end of the day... I'm hooked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts