Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going out to North Carolina September 17th thru the 22nd. Man I am so excited!!! Going to Deals Gap, then Cherohala Skyway, and a few other choice roads. Going with 3 other guys who have all been out there before. This will be my first trip out there, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Been wanting to do this trip for a long time now.

Any of you guys live out there or go there often? What should I expect?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cops at Deals Gap and if you encounter traffic on the secondary roads they will be going slow. But NC roads seem to generally in good condition. Also do not pass up an opportunity to eat barbeque (the noun, not the verb). Even if you just ate.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Finally got our trip to NC planned out.... (n737nc)

I've never been to Deal's Gap, but me and a few guys are also going Sept. 30- Oct. 2. Only problem is that I will be riding my Dad's Vulcan
. From DC it will take approx. 8 hours to get there. (I don't think I can do that on my SS and still walk erect afterwords.) I'm sure I will be very upset once we get on the Dragon and I'm riding that couch around.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Finally got our trip to NC planned out.... (Dutch900)

I'll be up thare sept 30 -oct 2 for the ducks fly south rally in Hiawassee. it will be about 600mi. trip I've done it before it not to hard on the body.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Bit of advice, if you "Do the Gap", do it on a weekday. You'll avoid most of the squidlly behavior and law enforcement "peak" activity.
There are several roads that traverse the Blue Ridge (up one side - down the other) that are a lot of fun. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are traffic nightmares on weekends (and weekdays when getting close to "leaf peeper" season). Little River Road through Great Smoky Mt. National Park is pretty nice too (same precautions apply).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, we're gonna get up there on Saturday afternoon sometime. Figured we would ride the Blue Ridge on Sunday, then hit the Gap and the Skyway on Monday or Tuesday. I am ready to go!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (n737nc)

dutch 900 dont leave the ss at home you'll be disapointed

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (mortoduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortoduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dutch 900 dont leave the ss at home you'll be disapointed</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah really, I would rather drive four hours, stop for the night, then drive four more hours and waste a day than your alternative. I have driven almost three hours w/o a stop on my 620s. It sucked, but mostly b/c it was just straight interstate and hardly any curves. But it really wasn't that bad. Just ride for 2 to 2.5 hours and stop for 30 minutes to an hour. Also try and take a route that will get you into the mountains the quickest, instead of taking 95 to 40 (if you are planning on that) It might take longer but once you get on the twisties your mind will be off of your pain. Where as on the interstate that is all you can think about.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (jager)

Yeah, I would LOVE to take my SS (just for the dragon alone), but like I said I'm going with a group of guys and I want to stick with them. They plan on riding 8 hours straight down to TN only stopping every 125 miles to fill up with gas. I don't know if I can really do it on my bike and enjoy myself. So Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 here I come...unfortunately. (I'll be riding with 2 harleys, 1 BMW, and 1 honda shadow)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (Dutch900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dutch900 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I would LOVE to take my SS (just for the dragon alone), but like I said I'm going with a group of guys and I want to stick with them. They plan on riding 8 hours straight down to TN only stopping every 125 miles to fill up with gas. I don't know if I can really do it on my bike and enjoy myself. So Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 here I come...unfortunately. (I'll be riding with 2 harleys, 1 BMW, and 1 honda shadow)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be worse. You could be going with the in-laws in a Civic

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (n737nc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n737nc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Could be worse. You could be going with the in-laws in a Civic
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (Dutch900)

they are only doing 125 mi. between fuel stops and your worried, put your skirt on and ride the vulcan.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (mortoduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortoduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are only doing 125 mi. between fuel stops and your worried, put your skirt on and ride the vulcan.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

OUCH

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Finally got our trip to NC planned out.... (mortoduc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortoduc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll be up thare sept 30 -oct 2 for the ducks fly south rally in Hiawassee.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you fill me in on this? Like I stated earlier I'll be there those same days...is there a web site with info for this?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dutch900 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you fill me in on this? Like I stated earlier I'll be there those same days...is there a web site with info for this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its the ducks fly south rally, not tractors mow south rally.
j/k hopefully you can have some fun on the vulcan. Although tight mountain roads and a cruiser don't sound like fun to me. I guess some cruisers can handle decently...how is the vulcan in the twisties?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Finally got our trip to NC planned out.... (jager)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its the ducks fly south rally, not tractors mow south rally.
j/k hopefully you can have some fun on the vulcan. Although tight mountain roads and a cruiser don't sound like fun to me. I guess some cruisers can handle decently...how is the vulcan in the twisties?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've been getting IM'd about this from mortoduc all day, now you too!
Since I've gotten my chops busted so much I've been re-thinking about riding my SS. Maybe the ducks fly south rally would have been the final straw to "push" me onto the SS. (Not that being called a Nancy had anything to do with it
)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

dooo it!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Dude...ride the SS down. I rode my SS down from Detroit hit 7 States (2K miles) in 9 days...stayed in Knoxville, TN and rode the gap and the Skyway on a day trip.

It's all about the SS...that's all I gots to say!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts