Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i clear the fi light
its giving me 8 blinks tps so i've heard any ideas?
it sputters hard at low throttle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Fi light (fiveohmatt)

the service manual has the procedure on clearing the FI light. If you have an aftermarket exhaust and do not have a PC it will sputter at low throttle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fi light (RicardoA)

i donot have a service manual. it does have an aftermarket exhaust and a pcIII, it was sputtering badly with the pcIII hooked up i bypassed the pcIII to see how it would run and did the same thing and still gave me the fi light, but i would like to clear the fault code than try it again to see if the fi light comes back on after clearing it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm no expert but maybe something is clogged in your fuel system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (fiveohmatt)

better wait for some other forum members to see your post. I don't want to lead you to the wrong direction. Like what I said I'm no expert. and I don't want to get flamed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just looked at my shop manual the problem you are discribing is caused by the following 1. Loose or poorly connected IAT sensor connector. 2. Open or short circuit in sensor wire. 3. Faulty TP sensor.

Symptoms 1. Poor engine response when operating the throttle quickly (ECU controls using preset valve ; Throttle opening:0)

Hope this helps get your problem fixed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt,
Get yourself a copy of the service manual, there is one floating around in pdf format.
Get yourself a voltage/ohm meter. There are 3 cables going to the throttle position sensor, one is power(5V), another ground, and the other is the signal that varies as you open and close the throttle. Most likely the throttle position sensor is not the problem, those things are made to last. You probably have an electrical connection problem or perhaps the connector to the sensor is not seated correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (andres)

fiveomatt I have had the exact same problem you had. To fix this is what you will need to do. Won't cost a dime. Loosen front tank bolts, remove seat. Prop tank up and remove the airbox lid. Remove the cones on the throttle bodys and filters. Remove the airbox assy. You will then be able to see the top of motor and throttle b's. If you are on the clutch lever side of the bike you will see the tps sensor on the side of the front throttle b. Disconnect and try to clean the harness. Clean with some contact cleaner ect and reconnect. This is what your problem is probably(the fuel injector harnesses). Disconnect the fuel injectors and clean the harnesses also. Plug back in and reassemble.

Don't ask me how I know this.

To reset the light. There is a plug in the tailsection. Clear with two wires on it. As per service manual. Ig switch off engine stop switch is on RUN. Use a paper clip and connect to both ends in the harness. This is called shorting it. Pretty much bend the paper clip in a U and put in the harness. Turn switch on. Then remove the jumper(one side). The FI light will light for 5 seconds. Put the jumper wire back in. If you did it right the FI light will start blinking.

This is on 5-7 in my service manual. Make sure you put everything back together before you erase the codes. I think there is no need to put a meter on anything just clean all the harnesses that I talked about. There is one TP harness and four injector harnesses.

When you fire her back up apologize for talking bad to her when trying to solve this. Take her out and enjoy.
Let me know when you fix it.

Any questions post em.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts