Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a buddy interested in upgrading his 98 vfr to a faster, lighter bike.

he was thinking of the 1000rr:rockon which i think rocks but he just doesnt have the funds nor credit to purchase that so i recommended the 954...

my question is what ya'll think of the bike???? is it worth for him to save his money and buy the 1000rr or go with the 954...

he doesnt do track (yet) does a lot canyons with me (but i SMASH him:woot: )!!!

thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
My buddy had one, he like it, little quicker and more nimble then the RC (in the hands of a good rider). To be honest he likes his 600rr better, he got it for track days and bought a second one for a street bike so thats something to concider.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nemo963 said:
My buddy had one, he like it, little quicker and more nimble then the RC (in the hands of a good rider). To be honest he likes his 600rr better, he got it for track days and bought a second one for a street bike so thats something to concider.
i told my buddy to get an RC but he is sick of the heavy bikes...(his weighs like 460 or something)... but he still smashes with that vfr...i have never seen a name tear apart so many 600 and a couple 929 on a 800cc touring bike!!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 954 is a nice bike a little behind the times like most hondas but I like it has good power and handles well just not up to par with an R1 or GSXR1000.

I went from a 98 VFR to the RC and don't regret it a bit. I was going to get an R1 but I'm a honda guy and I like to be different I don't regret getting a twin for a minute. After 2 years on the VFR the RC feels like a 600 with power it's 50lbs lighter with 25 more hp. So while most consider the RC to be a bit of a pig it still feels very light to me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You cant even compare the VFR to the RC, I have both. As capable as the VFR is, It's still feels like a pig compared. A 954 is an awesome bike, I've used a friends at track days and its more than adequate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had a couple of 954's and I loved them. They are wicked good track bikes. I got a 600RR now and I like it MUCH better though. Turns in quicker and feels more stable on it's "feet" than the 954. However, I still miss my 9 5 4 's.

*sniff sniff*

FYI, the stock suspension on a 954 is trash. I recommend getting the forks reworked with good springs, a good triple clamp and damper, and lots of rear shock adjustments. lol

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
A 954 is lighter then the R1 of similiar vintage faster then any 600 ever built and affordable. You can pick up a sorted 954 from a mature rider for around 6 grand and spend the next 5 years learning your limits on it.

Anyone that has not done a track day and thinks the 954 is out of date is,...well,..he is an idiot. In alot of ways the 954 is the last of the Fireblades and the best of the lot. It had the light flickable nature with over 140 hp all out of a sub 400 pound bike. The new CBR1000rr has much better rear grip on corner exits but it is also one of the hardest bikes to get a "good" set up out of. The 954 is very tunable and with an Aftermarket shock and a little fork work will hang with the best of them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know some 60+ year old retired dirt trackers around here on stock 929s that will run away from anybody. They like them cuz they are light and paid for.:twocents

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oh yea, the 954 is a good bike, my friend got the 600rr because he new to track-days at the time and wanted to learn on a 600. He would be faster on a 954, but he does a good job in the CMRA racing against all those liter bikes.

·
calculating status...
1,668 Posts
Can anyone compare the seating position of the two bikes? I was thinking of getting a 954 as a "streetbike". It certainly seems like it would be more comfortable than a 1000rr or the RC. Opinions?

·
Reverse Bodylift of Death
989 Posts

954 is like a barcolounger compared to the RC. cushier seat, less lean to the bars, higher, wider bars... light front end though...comes up easy and needs a damper right off, I'm lookin at one right now... a local honda dealer has a NOS 03' 954 their letting go for 7500.

·
Registered
190 Posts
7,500 is probably a little high for a used 954.

I had a MINT condition '03 with 3,800 miles on it and sold it for 6,900 this summer when I bought my RC-51.

The two bikes are VERY different. Riding position is more comfortable overall on the 954, but it is still definitely not a tourer. The RC's riding position is a lot more aggressive, but I've adjusted to it pretty quickly. I can go for hours out in the twisties, but it absolutely sucks in any kind of traffic. Then again, if you're riding in traffic you shouldn't be on an RC anyway.

I like the fact that the RC is heavier and less prone to wheelies. You could change that by playing with the gearing, but you're wasting power by having to shift sooner in order to keep the wheel down. The 954 would come up in a heartbeat, and I like being able to use the power of the RC without having to worry about that.

The 954 was a great bike, but overall the quality of the RC just seemed to be a step or two higher.

I plan on having a track-bike soon and thought about keeping the 954. To be honest, I think a 600 would be a lot more fun to flog on a track. More shifting, more revving, more skill required to carry speed through the turns. The 954 was only built for two years, and replacement parts for it can get expensive.

Most people think they are experts, but in reality the majority could not use the 954 to anywhere near it's potential on a race track. You can easily make up for bad cornering by grabbing a handfull of throttle when you straighten the bike out.

To sum it up, I would do it all over again. I love the RC and plan to keep it for a long time as a pure street bike. Somewhere down the line I'll try to pick up a 600 for the track.

·
989 Posts

DUX said:
7,500 is probably a little high for a used 954.

I had a MINT condition '03 with 3,800 miles on it and sold it for 6,900 this summer when I bought my RC-51.

I agree...$7500 would be high if it were used, but it's NOS (New Old Stock). 2 miles on the odometer. So I'm thinking it might be worth it...

·
Registered
615 Posts
sounds like a pretty good price for a "new" old bike. But, what is it worth after you roll out the door? If you plan on keeping it for a while, it's worth it. Plus, will they drop the price even more when it starts to get cold out? After all it's about to become a 3 year old bike still on the showroom floor. You know the stealership is got to be tired of looking at it, and paying taxes on it.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
wildchilds74 said:
sounds like a pretty good price for a "new" old bike. But, what is it worth after you roll out the door? If you plan on keeping it for a while, it's worth it. Plus, will they drop the price even more when it starts to get cold out? After all it's about to become a 3 year old bike still on the showroom floor. You know the stealership is got to be tired of looking at it, and paying taxes on it.

I doubt it. the Dealer is selling it below cost as is. If they don't move it I imagine one of the shop employees will take it home for some backdoor deal.

7500 for a bike that list for 10 grand 24 months ago. sounds like a pretty damn good deal. I am sure it will come with a full warranty and that is all that matters.

I still think the 954 was a better looking bike then the same year kawi of zook and for that matter it is still a damn fine looking bike. Buy the sucker. You won't be dissapointed.

·
989 Posts

buying it means doing away with the RC... So, we'll see. Other big selling points are the fact that the cost of upgrades are cheaper...and a little about the fact that its better on gas (since my RC is 100% commuter right now) I have some contemplating to do...

this will sound a little girly but one of the things crossing my mind is that I wouldn't have near the support staff ( these forums ) on the 954 as I do for the RC. lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
SIZMTRZ said:
buying it means doing away with the RC... So, we'll see. Other big selling points are the fact that the cost of upgrades are cheaper...and a little about the fact that its better on gas (since my RC is 100% commuter right now) I have some contemplating to do...

this will sound a little girly but one of the things crossing my mind is that I wouldn't have near the support staff ( these forums ) on the 954 as I do for the RC. lol
IMO if you have to sell the RC to get the 954, you will regret it. I loved the 954, but haven't looked back once.

The cost of gas is irrelevant. How much would you sell your RC for? How much more would you have to put up to get the 954? How much gas would that difference in the price of the bikes buy? ;)

The 954 has a great support website. www.fireblades.org We talk about RC's there too. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
The 954 might be a great bike, but it's just not the same as a twin.

A freind of mine upgraded recently from a ninja 6r to an R1 (too much bike for him, but I'm not his babysitter). He had me take it for a quick ride up the block and back to see what I though of it, so I let him fallow on my RC. 2 blocks later, he said he could understand why I loved it sooo much. His R1 is faster, lighter and all that, but the RC scared him!
For a second bike, or anything like that, I say get the 954. If it means selling the RC..... no way!!
just my:twocents

·
calculating status...
1,668 Posts
SIZMTRZ said:
I'm lookin at one right now... a local honda dealer has a NOS 03' 954 their letting go for 7500.
Some say that's mucho for a three year old bike but it's less than my FZR1000 was new 16 years ago.

Since we're totally sidetracking this thread, (sorry RVT4life) dealers near me still have new '05 R1's. That seems strange to me. Anyway, they're $8900. That made me think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts