Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mainly using the bike as a track bike, but recently decided that I wanted to ride it more on the street. Today I was changing the oil and flushing the water/water wetter and replacing with Honda coolant. I wanted to make sure the system was functioning properly before buttoning it up, so I let it heat up to fan temp to make sure it turned on. It did not.
Pretty sure last time I replaced the coolant I did the same (usually do), and it turned on.
I tested the fan today off the bike, and it spins. On the bike I can't get it to turn on, and I wasn't finding any testing procedures in the shop manual...
Ideas?

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
SP1 or SP2?

SP2 has a relay in the tail section right infront of the blinker relay, right hand side;) ... You can swap relays to find out IF that is infatc the problem or not.

FIRST TEST Fan relay.... BUT I don't time to explain the procedure now sorry brother.:banghead

Someone else should be able to hook you up, as it is EASY to check the relay itself... OR just do as I described above using
the blinker relay to see IF this will start up your fan(s).

Good luck,

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there no relay for the SP1, or is it not in the tail as the SP2? There looks to be some sort of relay in the front. Not sure what it's for...

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Yep!
Where's the relay on the SP1?
Going to dig into the manual in a bit, got my VFR manual as a back up! Pretty much the same system, I think...

Hey Southbound, this is Northbound here...;)

My BEST sig. to You IS.. Break out that manual you're talking about and READ through the "Trouble shooting" section about the fan(s) not working... the only way I know anything about anything in this dept. is Reading My HONDA Service manual.... and the Search fuction here on SpeedZilla!

This TIP below IS from using the Search here and was actually found by a guy with a VFR!:clapper :>>>----->
SP1 has a thermal switch mounted ON the radiator, which from reading other threads I-(We?) have learned that You boys and girl with SP1s can just hit an Auto parts store and change temps. for when your fan comes on!

Good luck and YOU should be able to figure it out easy enough, with these tid bits.:twocents

Again, Sorry brother BUT I have GOT to GO! It IS Beautiful out today :woot: and I fully expect to use 2 to 3 fuel cell loads during this day, as I plan to get in acouple hundred miles in on My SP2-Rocket :clapper today! OK Talk to you later Bye! :rockon

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am dumb!
I checked the fuse box early on, but I wasn't sure which fuse so I left it alone until I had more time to dig out the manual. Of course it is printed on the inside of the lid.
Yep, fuse was blown!
Who knows why, but when I first got the bike the fan was jammed up by the plastic air guide. Maybe since then?
Anyway, new fuse and the fan comes on!
Fresh oil, fresh coolant, and new (to me) Sargent, so I'm thinking it's time to hit the North GA Mountains!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to add another :twocents
My Clymer VFR manual says to perform such and so tests found in the electrical system chapter.
Those same tests are in my Honda RC manual, however they do not direct you there from the cooling system chapter.
It is pretty much the same system as my '99 VFR, and looks like the fan switch is even the same part. I didn't realize that others with different turn on points could be sub'ed in from generic parts store stock. Interesting...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts