Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone with first hand experience....

I was pulled over on Sat for exceeding the posted speed limit. +80 in 65mph. The good news is that I received a warning. However, I did receive a ticket for 'failure to produce motorcycle registration'. The Indiana State Police officer was very cordial and simply stated I needed to call the handwritten number at the bottom of the ticket to sort things out.

I rode home from scene, less than 1 mile. Found the registration in the top of my tool box. I had it out when I was cleaning the bike and didn't put it back.

I call the number at the bottom of the summons and was simply told 'if you want to fight it, you need to appear in court'. WTF?

Someone else had told me you had 24-48 hours to produce document. The gal on the line from the courthouse said that isn't so.

I suppose the good news is that it's not a moving violation. Can I fight this one? In this day and age, it seems silly to have to produce a document that's as crude as a vehicle registration. The officer has complete access to my records right from his squad car.

-Brad

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Failure to provide registration. (bstevenson8)

He gave you good chance to beat it! The officer could have nailed you NO questions asked with the speeding. Take the time and go to court, produce the registration, tell the judge how you forgot to keep the registration with the bike and it was a mistake on your part. I realize it is a pain in the a$$, but think of it as a lesson learned.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Failure to provide registration. (Dutch900)

I know it seems like a pain, but it's setup that way to uphold your right to appear in court (a bit bureacratic in this case). Think if he tagged you for no registration, but you COULDN'T appear in court to argue your case or face your accuser?

I'm going through a similar situation with registration. They want proof from my insurance co. that my deuce is registered, but I can't just go down to DMV and show them my card. They want it from the insurance co on a computer disk. WTF?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recieved such a ticket in NJ some years back. I also had to appear in court for the only purpose of prooving that the bike was registered and I had documentation to prove it. You would think that in this technilogical age you would not need to even carry Documents like this. With the Plate Number ,VIN , and License it kinda covers all bases. In any event I would go pay the ticket and be on my way if i were you. Many times the officers are in court and it may piss the guy off for letting you go if you are going to try and fight the non moving violation summons as well. A lot of times these guys know they need to raise capital for the munic. but want to cut drivers/riders a break as well....this is how they do it. Consider yourself lucky.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Failure to provide registration. (bstevenson8)

Yup. In NJ if you don't have the document on you, you need to go to court with it and show it to the judge.

Chances are, you will found guilty of not carrying it on your person, which is a much lower fine than driving a non-registered vehicle or having an expired registration.

So the legal thing to do (barring any other solution the court may have given you) is to go to court and bring your checkbook.

It's all about the Benjamins. Or hopefully in your case, just the Jacksons.

--JG
NYC, NY

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Failure to provide registration. (JAGrantJr)

Wow. I thought we were bad here in Cali. It is just a "fix-it" ticket here in Cali. Same as if you aren't carrying your driver's license. All you need to do here in Cali is go to a local Police Dept., or CHP, and have an officer double check your paperwork is in order. They will then sign the ticket off and you can either send it to the Courts, or appear in person. No fines involved either. Most of the time they don't even bother citing you, unless you are not in the electronic system. If you aren't in the system, then your car gets towed for no registration, & if caught with no license, then it is a car tow and mandatory jail time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you all that I am lucky and I do consider myself lucky.

I went to the courthouse today with documentation in hand to prove I had the registration. The gal at the desk rather rudely told me I had to go before the judge if I wanted to fight it. I asked what the price of the ticket was...get this...$111.50 WTF!

I'm thinking I should try to go and plead a case. Reality was, I had cleaned the bike and had it in the top of my tool box.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Failure to provide registration. (CaliDuc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow. I thought we were bad here in Cali. It is just a "fix-it" ticket here in Cali. Same as if you aren't carrying your driver's license. All you need to do here in Cali is go to a local Police Dept., or CHP, and have an officer double check your paperwork is in order. They will then sign the ticket off and you can either send it to the Courts, or appear in person. No fines involved either. Most of the time they don't even bother citing you, unless you are not in the electronic system. If you aren't in the system, then your car gets towed for no registration, & if caught with no license, then it is a car tow and mandatory jail time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fix it tickets are charged a $25 fee. As far as your "in the system" comments. Entirely inaccurate. It depends on the officer and the jurisdiction that you are in. There is also no mandatory jail time for 12500(a):driving with no license.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Failure to provide registration. (hbliam)

here in VT, i was asked for my licsense only earlier this year, everything else was electronic. i still got the speeding ticket.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbliam »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Fix it tickets are charged a $25 fee. As far as your "in the system" comments. Entirely inaccurate. It depends on the officer and the jurisdiction that you are in. There is also no mandatory jail time for 12500(a):driving with no license.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My bad. 14601.1(a) is what I was thinking of. It IS up to the officer. If you just registered your vehicle and it isn't in the DMV system yet, you can be towed. It is then your responsibility to prove it was registered. Again, It IS up to the officer. That is why most won't bother writing you unless your tags are 90+ days past due.
VC12500(a) can be filed as a misdemeanor and result in a jail sentence of up to 90 days. You can also be placed on probation for this type of violation. Again it is NOT mandatory, but up to the officer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My bad. 14601.1(a) is what I was thinking of. It IS up to the officer. If you just registered your vehicle and it isn't in the DMV system yet, you can be towed. It is then your responsibility to prove it was registered. Again, It IS up to the officer. That is why most won't bother writing you unless your tags are 90+ days past due.
VC12500(a) can be filed as a misdemeanor and result in a jail sentence of up to 90 days. You can also be placed on probation for this type of violation. Again it is NOT mandatory, but up to the officer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not arguing just clarifying what happens in LA County/Orange County. You won't get towed for registraion if the tags are less then 6 months past due. You will get a fix it ticket. You won't go to jail for 12500 99.999999999999% of the time. Jail time and probation are up to the DA not the Officer. If you are a complete ass you could get your car towed and they could arrest you for no license if they feel they can't identify you. There is also no madatory jail time for 14601 but the/your car will be towed registered or not.

Bottom line. Pay the man and keep the stuff on your person. I keep my moto reg in my wallet with my valid ID with motorcycle endorsement. I never have a problem.....

Edit: and you know who 99% of the 12500's are right?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbliam »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bottom line. Pay the man and keep the stuff on your person. I keep my moto reg in my wallet with my valid ID with motorcycle endorsement. I never have a problem.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.aerostich.com/produ...age=3

This little $7 item will keep your papers safe. They'll always be on the bike, under the seat, waterproof, and easily accessable. I keep my registration, proof of insurance (card), receipt for safety inspection, and some cash and coins in there too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hbliam »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Edit: and you know who 99% of the 12500's are right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I do.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I had the same thing happen to me. I showed up on the court date, explained to the Judge what had happened, let him look at the registration, and that was it.
No fine or anything.

I now stick a packing list envelope to the bottom of my seat, and keep all the papers there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts