Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these off Mike Taber for those of you who know him. He had DK work his magic on them. When I bought them, he sent them back to DK for freshening and new seals at a total cost to me of $700+shipping. These are the best forks I've ever had the pleasure of using (well I did get a short ride on a desmosedicci but it wasn't set up for me....). There are some light scratches from being installed a few times but otherwise no road rash or major blemishes. Look great on the bike.

I put about 1500 miles on them before putting bike back to stock to sell it.

$500 shipped to CONUS. I see folks spend $400 for stock forks so this is a super buy IMO.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys. Forks are sprung for 200+ lb range.

Here's a couple more pics but with the RC front end removed and replaced with the previous F4i setup.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
This is a killer deal!! I wish they would have been available 7weeks ago!! I spent 350 on stock 2005 forks then spent 300 to get new seals and the valves shimmed by a local guy!! Damn it!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you for the pics. That was a really good looking setup. Looks like it took a bit of work.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump to the top.

Thx.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forks are sold. Thanks Chris for the quick pay. :rockon

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack, but what triples did you use to make the RC forks fit the VFR? And did the RC forks improve the handling of the VFR? I'm thinking of getting a VFR and that setup looks tits!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most, if not all, USD forks are shorter than conventional forks. I see this changing as more regular and sport-touring bikes are now beginning to come with USD forks but until then....

The RC51 forks are some of the longer Honda USD units out there. Combine that with Honda "gull wing" triples like the cbr929/954/early1000rr that also use the same steering bearings as the VFR and you can make up for much of the shorter design length, still keep the steering geometry in the same ball park, and bolt right on with few issues.

My front end consisted of: rc51 forks, wheel, rotors, axle, spacers, brakes, and fender, a cbr1000rr lower triple, 954 upper, and stock vfr bearings/races. Most folks get rc51 helibars for the max height, you need 50mm clipons, but I found stock rc51 bars flipped over, reversed sides, and slightly bent downwards worked fine.

You can see the 954 gullwing triple and 51 clipon in this shot:

Was the handling better? That's not such an easy question to answer as this wasn't my first attempt at a new front end for the VFR. Bump quality, overall stability and under braking was much better. Handling feel wasn't as good as my first solution: cbr600f4i forks in honda vtec vfr triples. Mainly because the rake/trail figures with that setup were closer to stock while the 51 setup tended to run wide. But the 51 setup also had mucho better brakes. The cbr solution was much cheaper due to supply/demand on the used market.

Bottom line: both GREATLY improved my stock VFR front end that originally only came with rebound damping and mid-90's era brakes. You can search VFR forums for lots of info on the swaps. I'm not the only one to have done it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts