Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got in a few sets of blacks and they are ready to ship

Looking to get a few sets out for reviews so i am going to let 3 sets go for $175 a set shipped.

7 degree angle
12" bars with 2mm wall thickness
custom made delrin ends

can sell spare parts no worries

Thanks for looking

Mark

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What he said

they are several times stronger then aluminums of the same weights, this is a known fact Kurt

the tensile strength of the carbon is 580 and the aluminums is 36

i have been running carbon tubes now for eight years on my rc51 without issue and many other vendors sell them as well so you are fine

how many sets do you want?

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
SO I have a Question.
If you wreck with an Aluminum Clip on it will probably just bend and you could limp it home... right?
But if you wreck with a Carbon tube and it hits the pavement won't it just shatter?:eek:

Tensile strength isn't what you always want.

·
Nice Member
1,669 Posts
they are several times stronger then aluminums of the same weights, this is a known fact Kurt

the tensile strength of the carbon is 580 and the aluminums is 36

i have been running carbon tubes now for eight years on my rc51 without issue and many other vendors sell them as well so you are fine

how many sets do you want?

Dude, you never ride your bike, when was your last trackday? Or mtn ride? You would have to be fricking INSANE to run those carbon tubes, INFRICKINGSANE! You are going to kill some newb.

·
Jenias Member
1,510 Posts
SO I have a Question.
If you wreck with an Aluminum Clip on it will probably just bend and you could limp it home... right?
But if you wreck with a Carbon tube and it hits the pavement won't it just shatter?:eek:

That is exactly what happens. Ive crashed my bike pretty hard racing. Bent a few bars. Two times I was unable to ride it back. Once was the complete destruction of my bike in a highside and the other the bar was bent into the fairing making it impossible to turn.

Carbon fiber looks nice its strong and its light but it scares me. It gets rubbed and flexed in the wrong way it shatters into a million pieces. Its also dangerous for the other riders as the shards from it are sharp and can puncture tires. On a good set of clipons the bar is designed to be the weak point. It will bend and dissipate energy which will help save other things on the bike such as fork tubes. A lot of stock stuff is too stiff and can actually bend the fork tube where it mounts in a crash.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the carbon has delrin ends and will slide nice not just explode as suggested

the thin walled aluminum ones have bent on me and were so bent any pressure made them snap where the carbons could be rigid and stay firm

depends on the crash situation and what the circumstances are and for a lightweight race type of situation or track day these will hands down be stronger then aluminums and for the street they are more then fine.

they are what they are and trying to make them into dangerous items to try to sway people from buying them seems silly and slanderous

again. several other vendors sell them and i know plenty of people who ride with them and i have not heard of such exploding bars

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is exactly what happens. Ive crashed my bike pretty hard racing. Bent a few bars. Two times I was unable to ride it back. Once was the complete destruction of my bike in a highside and the other the bar was bent into the fairing making it impossible to turn.

Carbon fiber looks nice its strong and its light but it scares me. It gets rubbed and flexed in the wrong way it shatters into a million pieces. Its also dangerous for the other riders as the shards from it are sharp and can puncture tires. On a good set of clipons the bar is designed to be the weak point. It will bend and dissipate energy which will help save other things on the bike such as fork tubes. A lot of stock stuff is too stiff and can actually bend the fork tube where it mounts in a crash.

how many carbon tube crashes have you had to qualify your statements of them exploding and puncturing tires?

if carbon shatters into millions of pieces why do GP bikes use it over glass?

i will tell you. because it does not shatter into millions of pieces

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
SO I have a Question.

carbon absorbs impact better then aluminum too and offer repeated flex b4 breaking.

Clip-ons are not made for impact they are made for feel and ease of replacing them on track days and road runs. They need to be rigid for sure but if break away bars is what you want then saw halfway through your thinwalled alums:D J/K

OH, the tensil strength of ti is 170 so the carbons don't look so shattery

FWIW i can always sell you aluminum bars with ends too if that is some issue, no worries

·
Nice Member
1,669 Posts
Having raced cat2 road bikes and expert class mtb for many years Ive broken and have seen many a carbon bars go south. These where high end bars from companies with big R&D depts. They werent cooked in some hot heads basement. Ive also snapped a number of carbon frames and forks. Many times it didnt really show anything before it failed. And thats not on a motorcycle slowing down from 170mph for a turn one tip in. But I guess when you dont really ride and just smoke dope you could make that stuff outta cat crap and be ok.:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
carbon has its place, but it just not there.... Im one of the few here that dont doubt your products, everything that I have gotten from you has been good, but, carbon clip ons seem like it will end badly.... I can see a power wheelie coming down a little harder than planned, and crack... Ill a metal product of some kind above carbon for these kinds of things...

·
Registered
110 Posts
carbon has its place, but it just not there.... Im one of the few here that dont doubt your products, everything that I have gotten from you has been good, but, carbon clip ons seem like it will end badly.... I can see a power wheelie coming down a little harder than planned, and crack... Ill a metal product of some kind above carbon for these kinds of things...
i think carbon its self is fine as long as there some sort of testing of said product before its put on the market
thats why mrgrn would not have a shit show in hell of building anything ,and i mean anyting for a gp bike
also that why gp bikes dont run your cans

·
Jenias Member
1,510 Posts
how many carbon tube crashes have you had to qualify your statements of them exploding and puncturing tires?

if carbon shatters into millions of pieces why do GP bikes use it over glass?

i will tell you. because it does not shatter into millions of pieces

I thought Ive been quite clear about my experiences. You do realize that I actually race and crash motorcycles right? You also realize that when others that race including the fast guys crash they come over to my garage and I fix their bikes. I have plenty of experience with carbon fiber crashing. Enough to the point where the one piece I allow on my bike is the exhaust tip which has done exactly what I described in one of my wrecks. It shattered and broke off in a ton of pieces. Luckily its a small piece.

GP bikes use carbon fiber over fiberglass because it is lighter and strong. That was never in question. Im certainly not going to install fiberglass bars on my bike. You do know why Casey Stoner crashed out of Qatar this season right? His fancy carbon fiber bar broke. There is an interview with him saying they need stronger bars. I dont think you fully realize the forces that are put into the handle bars of a bike. I brake so hard into corners that my bar creek. Very few GP bike crashes end up with the rider picking up the bike and riding it out after.

Can I assume that by your response you havent seen that happens when an F1 car crashes? Im not talking about full speed into walls thing here Im talking about just rubbing something wrong. There carbon fiber everything looks like it just ran over a bomb.

Here you go. This is just under braking conditions.

I wasnt trying to call you out in this thread. I was just giving an informed opinion. Since youre only a few miles from the race track why dont you come by this weekend. We are racing Saturday and Sunday. Weather is going to be awesome and there will be some great racing. You can actually see how few bikes run any carbon fiber up there. Its not because of price. Its because of crashability. It donest survive or repair like fiberglass.

i think carbon its self is fine as long as there some sort of testing of said product before its put on the market
thats why mrgrn would not have a shit show in hell of building anything ,and i mean anyting for a gp bike
also that why gp bikes dont run your cans
I also think carbon fiber is fine. It looks the tits. It just not good for high stress and impact points on bikes. Bodywork = ok. Handle bars= not ok. Fancy little covers = ok. rear sets = not ok.

Once again my intent wasnt to call anyone out here.

Once photobucket is back up we can make a deal. Its back.

Heres the deal. You build a carbon bar that can do this... ( for those that havent seen one of these they come straight)

Ill put it on my bike. This was from a 50mph low side in turn 11 at Loudon. Could have rode the bike out if the bar didnt get stuck in the fairing.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i do not make the tubes, they are bought and resold and as i have mentioned other vendors on this forum sell them and nobody seems to question them, don't know why the ones i buy and resell are any different.

Like i have said until you have the carbon bars and use them it is just random speculation and that is fine but facts are a little more imprtant then random opinions

I have used them for 8 years with out issue so that counts as testing IMO and i also offer aluminums too if that works no hurt feelings for me

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought Ive been quite clear about my experiences. You do realize that I actually race and crash motorcycles right? You also realize that when others that race including the fast guys crash they come over to my garage and I fix their bikes. I have plenty of experience with carbon fiber crashing. Enough to the point where the one piece I allow on my bike is the exhaust tip which has done exactly what I described in one of my wrecks. It shattered and broke off in a ton of pieces. Luckily its a small piece.

GP bikes use carbon fiber over fiberglass because it is lighter and strong. That was never in question. Im certainly not going to install fiberglass bars on my bike. You do know why Casey Stoner crashed out of Qatar this season right? His fancy carbon fiber bar broke. There is an interview with him saying they need stronger bars. I dont think you fully realize the forces that are put into the handle bars of a bike. I brake so hard into corners that my bar creek. Very few GP bike crashes end up with the rider picking up the bike and riding it out after.

Can I assume that by your response you havent seen that happens when an F1 car crashes? Im not talking about full speed into walls thing here Im talking about just rubbing something wrong. There carbon fiber everything looks like it just ran over a bomb.

Here you go. This is just under braking conditions.

I wasnt trying to call you out in this thread. I was just giving an informed opinion. Since youre only a few miles from the race track why dont you come by this weekend. We are racing Saturday and Sunday. Weather is going to be awesome and there will be some great racing. You can actually see how few bikes run any carbon fiber up there. Its not because of price. Its because of crashability. It donest survive or repair like fiberglass.

I also think carbon fiber is fine. It looks the tits. It just not good for high stress and impact points on bikes. Bodywork = ok. Handle bars= not ok. Fancy little covers = ok. rear sets = not ok.

Once again my intent wasnt to call anyone out here.

Once photobucket is back up we can make a deal. Its back.

Heres the deal. You build a carbon bar that can do this... ( for those that havent seen one of these they come straight)

Ill put it on my bike. This was from a 50mph low side in turn 11 at Loudon. Could have rode the bike out if the bar didnt get stuck in the fairing.

fair enough James.

like i have said. you are entitled to your opinion and you are not interested in my product(fine), so what is your goal here then?

What direct experience with carbon tubing do you have to back you opinion of not ok?

I am telling you now that possibly that crash you had the carbon tube might have not even had that damage and there are too many variables to say in what works and does not work and at the end clip-ons are disposeable, what's next who's exhaust won't crack and let you ride how after 50 MPH lowsides?

·
Nice Member
1,669 Posts
i do not make the tubes, they are bought and resold and as i have mentioned other vendors on this forum sell them and nobody seems to question them, don't know why the ones i buy and resell are any different.

Like i have said until you have the carbon bars and use them it is just random speculation and that is fine but facts are a little more imprtant then random opinions

I have used them for 8 years with out issue so that counts as testing IMO and i also offer aluminums too if that works no hurt feelings for me
In those 8 years how many track days have you done? Real world testing from 150+ down to 45 for turn one?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts