Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get some opinions on their thoughts on extended warranties. Specifically, don't they seem like a scam? I don't think they're even underwritten by the same people as the ones who write the manufacturer's warranty for starters. How many people have actually had their bike repaired under their extended warranty? It always seems like a good deal at the dealer...partly because it's their job to make it sound like a good deal. However, what's the likelihood of having a manufacturer defect after the factory warranty expires? With our Ducatis having a 2 year unlilmited mile factory warranty, what could possibly go wrong after that where an extended warranty would be needed? It's nice if you're gonna sell your bike with a warranty still in effect, but what if one doesn't have any plans on selling it? Thoughts? Opinions?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (KingKobra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingKobra »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With our Ducatis having a 2 year unlilmited mile factory warranty, what could possibly go wrong after that </TD></TR></TABLE>

Something very expensive, approximately 2 years and 1 day after you buy it.

Now, this is speaking from someone who lives nowhere near Section8 or BCM, etc. But from what I've heard and read - getting something fixed under warranty outside of the mentioned dealerships above (and along with a handful of others, no doubt) is more pain than it's worth. Not sure about the details, but if warranty work could be done by ANY Ducati dealer, I'd say get the extended warranty. If it has to be the dealer you bought the bike from - it's a judgement call. I had trouble with getting a very minor problem taken care of from the non-selling dealer and this was a non-Ducati brand.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (130gunner)

Well, the dealer says I can take it anywhere, but from how I understand the contract, I'll still have to call the warranty company to file a claim much like an insurance policy. It's not going to work like the manufacturer warranty where there's the relationship between DNA and the dealer that allow one to cut through any red tape. I know I've brought my bike in for repair under warranty and it's like...here you go...fix it...done?...cool...bye. I'd pay for that to continue no problem, but a 3rd party warranty?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those warranties are huge profit makers for the sellers. I always steer clear of them. I never want to take the bet that my purchase is going to break down while the warrantier is taking the bet that it doesn't! Well, I bet it doesn't too! If I thought it would, I'd buy sum'tin else!
just my .02
gregc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (gregc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gregc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those warranties are huge profit makers for the sellers. I always steer clear of them. I never want to take the bet that my purchase is going to break down while the warrantier is taking the bet that it doesn't! Well, I bet it doesn't too! If I thought it would, I'd buy sum'tin else!
just my .02
gregc</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1. Better resale, however, with the extended warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (socal)

Take the money your going to waste on the ext. warr. and put it in the bank and if some thing were to break you would more than likely have it covered.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (rossi46)

Unless it was honored by all dealers, I'd run. I'd hate to be married to a specific set of dealers given how they're so up and down on service and reliability ... with the exception of a select few mentioned in this thread.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (KingKobra)

it's a Ducati, get the extended warranty. How much is an ECU? How much is an engine rebuild.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (Buckelew)

Only get the Ducati extended warranty, not one underwritten by an indipendant agency, they are worthless.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only get the Ducati extended warranty, not one underwritten by an indipendant agency, they are worthless.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you pick it up before the standard warranty expires?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (drthompson65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drthompson65 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you pick it up before the standard warranty expires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

how? Through a great dealer like section8superbikes? :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Extended Warranty - Is it a Scam? (drthompson65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drthompson65 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how? Through a great dealer like section8superbikes? :)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds reasonable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only get the Ducati extended warranty, not one underwritten by an indipendant agency, they are worthless.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know a couple of people that have had "warranty" / "insurance policies" from independent companies. Any shop can usually perform the repairs. They do require review of the estimates in advance of approval. So you "pay" with a little time spent. IMHO, if you're near a Ducati dealer you like* and Ducati offers a 2 year extended warranty, then go with it.

Chris

*- not everyone seems to like their dealers as much as people like section8, BCM, DucatiSeattle, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts