Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just saw the NEW termi full system for the R1
it is a 4-2-1 stainless/ti for $1600+.
I also saw the NEW leo full for the duke 999s 57mm/60mm. It has stainless headers and ti mid and can for $3800
is going here?

why are prices so high for certain bikes and certain exhausts?

i bought a cheap full stainless exhaust for my 1000rr for $700. I bet this exhaust is good for motor work as well, Why is a full for the duke cost almost $4000?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: exhaust ?'s (mrgrn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is a full for the duke cost almost $4000?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because it's a Ducati. A whole lot of money for nothing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

They must have seen how much they are charging for exhaust for single cylinder four stroke dirt bikes and figured if they can get that much for a piece of pipe and a slip-on, then they must figure they're not charging enough for multi-cylinder street bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: exhaust ?'s (topgear140)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by topgear140 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check out this GP style exhaust for the new Mille, should be around $2000

http://www.apriliaforum.com/fo...43313</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: exhaust ?'s (Giannis)

Truss, ahmen brotha
$4000 for an exhaust
you are making them think that is OK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Truss, ahmen brotha
$4000 for an exhaust
you are making them think that is OK
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I paid quite a bit less than $4000. I still paid more than what I would pay if I had a Jap bike. It does come with with a carbon fiber heat shield.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: exhaust ?'s (trussdude)

I am just wondering what REALLY makes cetain exhausts worth more money?

One can purchase a FULL TI arata with PC111r and map for say around $1300 for most bikes, Then on others they are in the thousands
I would say R&D, but Arata and Sato do TONS of R&D so that is not it. Maybe the bends of the pipes on certain bikes justifies double or triple the cost?

I am just curious as to why this is?

look at the top post as a EXAMPLE. The R1 SS/ti with 2 cans is $1600, for termi no less
Then the ss/ti Leo is more than double?

is ti and stainless cheaper in some countries?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: exhaust ?'s (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because they can pay
</TD></TR></TABLE>

BINGO. They figure if the customer has the resources to pick up a Duck, then they should do the same for parts.

The brand working in full force! :)

It's not like it costs more to manufacture.

... and yet, if I had the cash, I'd love to have a decked out Duck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not really that we can pay. There are a lot less exhausts sold for the Italian bikes because there are a lot less Ducatis, Aprillas and MVs out there. I think Ducati sells around 6000 bikes in the US. There are probablly that many Suzukis sold in California every year.

Also, there are not many choices for a Ducati, so they can get higher prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Termi kits for Ducatis also come with new ECUs. If you were to buy just the ECU, they cost over $800. On the Jap bikes, you can tune for the exhaust with a Power Commander. You can only tune fuel (no ignition) with a Power Commander on a Ducati. The old style (pre 998) the chips were replaceable, but the new ones you have to replace the ECU.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (trussdude)

I did not know about the new ECU
thankx

but i still am confused on why you say less companies make exhausts for the duke(an example) so the ones that do GOUGE?

For example the Termi full system for the RC51(v-twin) stainless/ti 2 mufflers is a shade over 2 grand
the Termi full SS/TI for the 04 R1 with 2 mufflers is $1600. Then we move to another bike (v-twin duke) and look at the price for a termi full ss/ti just like the other bikes and the cost is more, WHY? these are all form the same company using the same ss and ti, not even using more material? they get tons of R&D from the dukes yet they cost more? if anything i would say the RC51 for example should cost more because it is not like they sell many of those
or maybe they don't sell may for japanese bikes so they make the duke owners support the loss of money on the jap bike through the sales to ducati's?

i would think that because of the relationship between termi and ducati and the racing R&D that the cost of their systems would be significantly less due to these factors? I would think that Termi sells most of their exhausts to Ducati, correct? they had nearly the same engine to make exhausts for, for years, correct? how in the heck can a one off exhaust for a jap bike be cheaper for termi than for a semi mass produced exhaust that they have sitting on the shelf?

my conclusion is this: either they eat a loss on jap bikes
or they are taking advantage kind of on the dukes

NO WAY can you explain to me how termi(for example) can make, and sell a full system using the same material, same engine config for one bike and charge X then justify using the same material and charge Y.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (mrgrn)

It's a simple matter of quanity discounts, cost of materials and R&D. The relationship with the factory or team while important isn't a marker for lower retail costs.

1. Termi's are made in Italy which has a much higher labor rate than the Japanese stuff that is made in china/taiwan et.al (if it isn't made there I appologize)

2. Logistics- because of the HUGE production facilities of the far east it is less expensive to forward from dreage to container ships to landed here in the US.

3. Quantity...6000 duc's per year X 80% (if that high)= 4800 units -vs- 100,000 japanese bikes. You can tie up a factory line building different sku's for Honda and "blend the margin" across the board...so RC51 unit cost goes down because they make so many CBR units. They don't discount RC51 to a loss but they get a better price because of QTY. The cost of molds and jigs is very expensive...also buying 2000ft of Ti tubing -vs- 100,000ft is a huge price difference.

4. The Market...Supply and Demand. There isn't a "Low-end" Duc exhaust readily available. Since this lack of mercandize in this price range helps to keep the cost high.

The first 3 are the most important.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

found another funny

i was looking around on a site sponsor here and found a 4 bolt ti pinch bolt set for the 996/998 for $90, yet i found 4 other sites offering the same 4 ti bolts for $30, please explain that one too me?

on the above prior post i am talking about 996 termis not needing ECU's i believe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

for the same bike mrgrn?

In that case if I remember by "Brady Bunch" logic correctly...Caveat Emptor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (hearing8)

I know nothing about making exhaust systems, but would the opposing cylinders thing have anything to do with the R&D and manufactoring costs? It seems like it would be easier to R&D the full system for an inline engine b/c the exhaust manifolds are really close to one another so the pipes don't have to be much different to achieve the same volume. But on the ducatis and other opposing twins, the vert. cylinder pipe has to have some extra bends and added length(which you would probably have to R&D more to get a good result) to get the same volume as the pipe coming from the horz. cylinder b/c it is farther from the back of the bike. The RC51 pipes are more than the other jap i4s, what about the sv? As for other parts didn't Thorsten say that the corse parts for ducati (transmission, etc) were cheaper than the jap counterparts? Of course these are factory parts though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (jager)

"3. Quantity...6000 duc's per year X 80% (if that high)= 4800 units -vs- 100,000 japanese bikes. You can tie up a factory line building different sku's for Honda and "blend the margin" across the board...so RC51 unit cost goes down because they make so many CBR units. They don't discount RC51 to a loss but they get a better price because of QTY. The cost of molds and jigs is very expensive...also buying 2000ft of Ti tubing -vs- 100,000ft is a huge price difference"

not sure how what you mean by 1000,000 units from termi for jap bikes
somehow i would say maybe a few hundred between all 4 jap manufacturers

temi makes how many CBR exhausts??? better price because of what quanity?

you say 4800 units worldwide for the ducatis from termi or Leo?

i see what you are saying about retooling and i would think the opposite occurs. i bet termi made less than 12 2-2 full exhausts for the RC51
yet they somehow blend? they have the numbers for the ducati pipes so they should be rolling off the line with ease, correct? every year the jap makers bring out new models and new revisions needing more R&D and new pipes for limited production, yet the dukes stay the same for years sometimes?748/996/998 749/999? what has Termi been doing lately to develope the pipes which they had two years ago? They just had to R&D for the new R1 and CBR, set up and retool for a new model with limited runs, yet the cost is cheaper than exhausts they have sitting on the shelf?

It does NOT cost more for termi to send exhausts here for the duke over the yamaha?

not saying bad things about dukes,termi, or yamaha
just curious how the price is so much more?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts