Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member here and am days from buying a Superhawk.
I'm looking at either a fairly unused 01 or the new 04 (gotta love black). My question is:

Has anyone ever tried to get a euro tank and swap it out? 19 liters puts it right about 5 gal, much better than the 4.2 gal we get in the states.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Euro Tank?? (Skullhead)

Hello,
Wow! This is great news to me. Sorry I can answer your question, but your question gives me hope. I like this bike and would buy one immediately if it were not for that puny US gas tank. This is the first I've heard that the Euro version has a larger tank.

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

There is a 6 gallon carbon fiber tank made here in the States ...... 1800.00 though

Might we approach the maker with a group buy ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Give Brian Law at DynamoHumm a call. He lists the 19l tank for app $560CDN. You will prolly have to paint it. He put one on his VTR ... no other modifications were required.

They are located in Cowansville Quebec. They have a website.

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Euro Tank?? (Geoff in Almonte)

Actually, DynamoHumm no longer carries the euro-spec VTR tank. The person I spoke with (might've Brian, I didn't ask) said that there were only two years during which the larger-capacity tank was made.

Does anyone know which years that would be?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Euro Tank?? (marmaladeboy)

Bummer.

Maybe Brian will sell his????

Or you could contact a UK Honda dealer or Bike Breaker (wrecker).

Or be like me and fill up every 160 km.

Geoff in Almonte
99 VTR1000

Heli-bars
Secdem windscreen
SS Brake/clutch lines
APE Camchain tensioners
V&H S4 slipons
Jetted
Tailocker
Ventura Rack system
NWS hugger
Baron Bar-end mirrors
Sargent
80,000km and still smilin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Geoff in Almonte »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or be like me and fill up every 160 km.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the end, filling up every 100mi isn't horribly inconvenient. But, if I didn't modify my bike, what fun would that be?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I agree.

After 160km I'm ready to get off the bike for a bit.

I estimated about $1000CDN for a Euro tank, painted & installed (re-using the OEM petcock and gas cap). The Morewaki (?) carbon fibre unit is worth about $1600CDN - unpainted.

For that kind of money you can get way better bang for your buck.....like an Olhins shock, or Sargent saddle, or a really nice exhaust system.

I may replace the OEM fork springs with some Racetech units this spring. We'll have to see what kind of cash I have available. Now that I have (finally) got the ergos and the engine sorted I can turn my attention to the suspension.

Thimk Sprimg!

G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

$1000CDN? That's about, what, $5USD?

After more thought, I guess I don't really need the extra large gas tank. In terms of bang-for-the-buck, you're right about getting something else, such as the Ohlins shock.

RaceTech springs make a huge difference. I switched mine because the stock springs weren't made to support 240lbs. Ever since they were installed, the front end feels much more stable while leaned over crossing rough patches. My favorite mod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What OEM stuff did you replace when you did the RT springs?

I figure I'll need the springs (@109USD) and the fork seals (@22.99USD).

I'm not sure if I'll need the fork bushings (inner @24.99USD/outer @ 24.99USD) or the dust caps (@ 22.99USD).

I'll buy an adequate supply of good quality fork oil from my local dealership.

My weight is around 180lbs so my guess is that I'll need the .80 or the .85 rate springs. I'll prolly go with the .80's cause most of my riding is on the slab and I need to absorb those expansion joints and frost heaves.

Cheers!

G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Actually, the only parts I replaced were the fork springs. I wasn't aware of needing the other parts you mentioned, and my mechanic didn't bring it up, either. He cut the spacers more towards aggressive riding since I do a lot of canyon and track riding.

Did you calculate the spring rate off of RT's website? That's what I used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

According to the RT website, the spring rate required for my weight/riding style is .872. Other folks I have spoken to wrt the RT springs have told me to err on the soft side. What was your experience?

G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The stock springs are rated as 0.585kg/mm. My suggested rate is 1.027kg/mm. I ended up with 1.0kg/mm.

The difference is amazing. I was surprised how much stiffer the front end had become. However, this may not be what you want if you do a lot of commuting. The stiffness is a real boon at the track and in canyons, but bumpy roads can be a handful.

My next purchase may be a rear shock, depending on if I end up with a second bike for the track or not. But I'm glad my first purchase were the springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I think that I'll go with the .80kg/mm.

If I find them too soft when I'm out doing my back road scratching I can adjust the preload by putting a spacer on top of the springs...

Thimk Sprimg!

It has been very cold here the last little while....this AM the temp was -36C with the wind chill.

BRRRRR!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have some bucks to burn, Kiro Watanabe Racing in Burbank CA. sells a carbon fiber tank that has a 6 gallon capacity. the only catch is it costs $1800.00.
if your interested , the phone # is 818-841-0930.

If you're going to replace your stock springs with Racetech springs, spend the extra money and go with the gold valves as well. Well worth the money. You'll want an experienced mechanic to do the valves for you. You wont regret it. I ste up my 900RR racebike with it. After 1 day at the track,I immediately ordered them for my Superhawk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Folks
I actually have a Watanabe on the bike at present which is about to go on ebay with a £500 reserve price since I simply don't need the extra capacity.
I'm guessing that by the time you have added postage this will be more like $1200 to you lot in the states which is a little on the high side I guess.

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I think that from 2001 they increased the tank size to 19 litres. I had a '97 VTR1000 (UK spec) it had a 16 litre tank which, coupled with it's high thirst, only gave about 80 miles range. Good bike though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts