Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the "search nazis", I did a search here, and on RC51.ORG, and couldn't come up with anything conclusive.
That is either a yay or nay on this shock.

Anybody using it, I am thinking seriously about getting the top model, with triple adjustments. Add a DK link too.

The shock is cheaper than an Ohlins. Also, they are fairly new on the market.

Anybody using this shock on the track???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (cehowardrc51)

i know where there is one cheap. It has been on the wll on display for two years and i can get you hooked up i think.

the stealership is pompton honda 973-839-1117 i believe and the managers name is ryan and he will know my name or at least my bikes. I can call over for you if you want ceh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard good things about them secondhand. From what I understand, they are essentially identical to penske, and the company is well known in Europe, and in other areas of motorsports outside of bikes.

Try asking Todd at http://www.calsportbike.com I believe he has knowlege of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (mrgrn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know where there is one cheap. It has been on the wll on display for two years and i can get you hooked up i think.

the stealership is pompton honda 973-839-1117 i believe and the managers name is ryan and he will know my name or at least my bikes. I can call over for you if you want ceh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

"It has been on the wll on display for two years",

Sorry, but I am real slow.. And this one flew right over my head...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My
is this Dad...
ANYTHING is better than the POS stock item...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (old timer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old timer »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My
is this Dad...
ANYTHING is better than the POS stock item...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the ride is getting a bit bumpy back there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I did a little research on these a while back and they seem to be a very good product. I belive they perform just as well as an Ohlins, but the only downfall is going to be the lack of support. You don't a whole lot of ELKA in pro racing because of this. I am still considering going the ELKA route myself.

The main apeal of Ohlins for me is that I live an hour away from DK's shop and how could ask for better support than that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have the 3 way adjustable Elka and it was custom made to order. It has ride height adjustment, rebound, spring preload, independent low and high speed damping along with the bearing stack between the adjuster and spring.
Full retail is $895.00 but I can hook you up but I can't advertise the price.
I have sold them to others and they love them too, there the best bang for the buck as far as shocks go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (ebnash)

Support in regards to suspension is damn important. But more to the point the data base available from Ohlins users is 1000 to 1

You don't believe that? Type "Ohlins shocks" into Google. then do the same for Elka

The sheer volume of use speaks volumes. Buy something that you can not ask a simple question about, or get parts instantly for, Or send it to the service center and see it back in 10 days....your money. But for Someone that constantly touts the value and reasons for Buying a Sato Exhaust system then goes cheap on a Suspension component..Makes no sense what-so-ever.

Don't make me kick your ass over this Coleman, Pay the extra 200 bucks and get the correct component

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (sp2pilot)

you are not slow, you are old

i mean they have a new display model on the wall they are willing to give away but i think it is only a two way

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well Ohlins is an off the shelf shock and is not made to order unless you spend a lot more. I have had and used all of the major suspension out there and I wouldn't call Elka cheap. I can get parts and service just as fast as I can with Ohlins. Try to get a 3 way adjustable Ohlins with a bearing stack for $895.00 Penske would even be better for a little more. Retail on the Ohlins is $1212.95 plus tax and or shipping for a 2 way adjustable shock that is not custom built or valved for you. I can get you an Elka for $417.95 less but buy what you want it's your money.
http://www.elkasuspension.com/3way.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (ebnash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebnash »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did a little research on these a while back and they seem to be a very good product. I belive they perform just as well as an Ohlins, but the only downfall is going to be the lack of support. You don't a whole lot of ELKA in pro racing because of this. I am still considering going the ELKA route myself.

The main apeal of Ohlins for me is that I live an hour away from DK's shop and how could ask for better support than that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds good. For the same thing as Ohlins it is about $400 cheaper..

I hope I don't need a flax jacket to take the heat from the ohlins faithful..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Support in regards to suspension is damn important. But more to the point the data base available from Ohlins users is 1000 to 1

You don't believe that? Type "Ohlins shocks" into Google. then do the same for Elka

The sheer volume of use speaks volumes. Buy something that you can not ask a simple question about, or get parts instantly for, Or send it to the service center and see it back in 10 days....your money. But for Someone that constantly touts the value and reasons for Buying a Sato Exhaust system then goes cheap on a Suspension component..Makes no sense what-so-ever.

Don't make me kick your ass over this Coleman, Pay the extra 200 bucks and get the correct component
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dam you Robert!! You did the same thing on the 15/41 deal, and that turned out to be a winner.
However, I am a little undecided on this one.. After all, I got to get something done to the forks too!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are not slow, you are old

i mean they have a new display model on the wall they are willing to give away but i think it is only a two way</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was catching that part, but the "been on there for two years", had me stumped. I don't want a two year old woman., let alone a two year old shock!!

And yes, I want the 3 way, 4 way if they have that too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (CBR400RR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBR400RR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Penske would even be better for a little more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt that, but that is opening a can of worms

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBR400RR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well Ohlins is an off the shelf shock and is not made to order unless you spend a lot more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that is exactly what Robert was getting at......you get what you pay for. Instead of ordering it from Parts Unlimited, just go direct to Ohlins. It may take longer, but they will build it how ever you want it.

BTW ceh, Don't worry about the forks.....Ohlins makes those too

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cehowardrc51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't want a two year old woman., </TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (kawi jm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kawi jm »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I doubt that, but that is opening a can of worms

I think that is exactly what Robert was getting at......you get what you pay for. Instead of ordering it from Parts Unlimited, just go direct to Ohlins. It may take longer, but they will build it how ever you want it.

BTW ceh, Don't worry about the forks.....Ohlins makes those too

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I wish!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

MRGRN

I called the dealer and they gave me a price of $699. Have you been given a better price than that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (WERA 31)

You can either spend the money & buy the Ohlins now or get the Elka & spend the rest of the time wishing that you had.

Not too long ago some of the faster guys were given some Elka shocks to run at Daytona as a promotional effort to get the ELKA name recognized by a certain suspension tuner who shall remain clueless & basically they gave them back to him stating they weren't worth the effort of installing them even if they were free.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Elka Racing Shock.. (LDH)

I've raced with Ohlins, Penske, and Fox in the back of my bike (stock too), and I'm not at the point where I'm ready to bow to the Ohlins gods and pay the additional money.
I'm even perfectly willing to have my stock shock rebuilt if I don't find a deal on something, and I'm not too picky what that something is.
Besides, racers are cheap folks by nature

1 - 20 of 27 Posts