Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a problem with my 2001 748. Seems like it's not wanting to run correctly :(
I ride it and it runs great first off. But if I stop for a few minutes and shut it off, then it gives me a fit trying to start back up. It just turns and turns and turns, but never fires. Let it sit for a few more minutes, then it will fire right off. That sounds like a fuel problem. Yes the fuel pump is working. You can hear it humming away when you click the key on.
2nd problem. After you get it running, it will stumble and sounds like it's misfireing. But it only does this between 5100-6000rpm's. It runs great below 5100, and above 6000. But between 5100 and 6000 it sounds terrible, and has no power at all. and misfires like crap! You either have to downshift to get it above 6k, or cruise below 5k. This sounds like an electrical problem.

Once it clears up(takes about 2-3 minutes), then it runs like a champ till I shut it off again. Then the vicious cycle starts all over again.
I'm really confused because one sounds like a fuel problem, and the other sounds more electrical. I also thought about bad gas, but I've ran a couple of tanks from different stations through it, and the problem still exsists. Anybody got any input?

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
Sounds like an electrical problem. I would quess the heat cycle has something to do with a broken or fractured wire. Stator, ECU, and coil are all suspects. But intuition says coil.

·
2,737 Posts
My 998 did the same things. Been there done that....

The hot start is a vapor lock problem. The fuel lines run over the engine and get heated quite nicely when the bike sits.
Go to a hot rod shop and get about 5 feet of slip on heat shielding. This is a nomex cloth sleeve with a reflective silver Mylar outer coating. Cover both fuel lines from the tank to where they enter the air box. This helps immesurably.

Secondly, the driveability problem should be solved by putting a new fuel filter in it. There ya go.. Two things can be fixed when you take the tank off. $30 and you're good as new.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I'll get the new fuel filter in the morning and try that. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll start looking into the electricals

1 - 4 of 4 Posts