Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chip Yates put his SWIGZ Electric Superbike on the podium twice this past weekend at Auto Club in California. He got a 3rd in Heavyweight Twins Superbike on Saturday after only six laps of practice. On Sunday, he came back to set the fastest lap and highest trap speed and got a second place in Heavyweight Twins Superstock- starting from the third row.
These classes consist almost entirely of SV650, Ducati 848 and Ducati 1000s.
The SWIGZ is based on a GSXR750 roller, with batteries, motor and controller engineered by the team. It recorded a top speed of 158mph on Sunday.
This is huge.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Filing this one in my personal memory bank under WGAF.

If the only bikes available to ride were electric, I'd switch to cars.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
you guys can turn your noses up and wax nostalgic all you want, but electric bikes are coming, and nothing is going to stop them. The technology still needs to come a long way before we have reliable daily riders with decent range, but it will get there eventually.

Personally, Id rather ride a motorcycle capable of nearly 160mph over driving any car, regardless of the bike's method of locomotion.

Change happens. You can either go along with it, or get run over by it. your choice. :twocents

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
you guys can turn your noses up and wax nostalgic all you want, but electric bikes are coming, and nothing is going to stop them. The technology still needs to come a long way before we have reliable daily riders with decent range, but it will get there eventually.

Personally, Id rather ride a motorcycle capable of nearly 160mph over driving any car, regardless of the bike's method of locomotion.

Change happens. You can either go along with it, or get run over by it. your choice. :twocents
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.
-Charles Darwin

Bring on the Tron bikes!

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
F*** those stupid electric bikes and the jackoffs that ride them. At least they have somewhere to plug in their vibrator. I don't give a shit about how this is going to be the next big thing. At the moment all the hype is to convince gullible people with more disposable income than brains to waste their money on a pile of shit that looks like shit and sounds like shit for 45 miles until it runs out of juice.

I hate that mainstream magazines devote entire issues to the stupid things. I hate that a lame show like Cafe Racers hit a new low even for them with their homebuilt electric "cafe retro abortion e-bike" or whatever it was called. I hate that a jackoff hack like Czysz who was too stupid to realize his bullshit C1 contra-rotating contraption had zero chance of ever being a competitive MotoGP racer, but now is a f***ing genius because he was actually able to complete a lap at the IoM with a bike even uglier and less practical then the C1. I hate that for the non-motorcycling press they think these are cool and give them time that should be used to highlight awesome real motorcycles like an RSV4 or even the BMW. I hate that people which normally I would consider enthusiasts talk about getting a speaker to mimic the sounds of their favorite bikes while riding on of them.

An electric bike will NEVER replace a real motorcycle, one which has an internal combustion engine, preferrably with two to four big pistons turning north of 10,000 rpm, somewhere between the wheels. I would rather ride a big scooter like a Burgman, or even a tiny econobike like the new CBR250 than one of these piles of shit. Give me a Harley any day over them, and I have no love for the MoCo.

They are nothing but a fad, an overpriced oddity. There is a reason no major manufacturer (risk-taker KTM excepted) has resisted ever making one: because very few people will pay more money to travel less, slower, and look horrible doing it.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
F*** those stupid electric bikes and the jackoffs that ride them. At least they have somewhere to plug in their vibrator. I don't give a shit about how this is going to be the next big thing. At the moment all the hype is to convince gullible people with more disposable income than brains to waste their money on a pile of shit that looks like shit and sounds like shit for 45 miles until it runs out of juice.

I hate that mainstream magazines devote entire issues to the stupid things. I hate that a lame show like Cafe Racers hit a new low even for them with their homebuilt electric "cafe retro abortion e-bike" or whatever it was called. I hate that a jackoff hack like Czysz who was too stupid to realize his bullshit C1 contra-rotating contraption had zero chance of ever being a competitive MotoGP racer, but now is a f***ing genius because he was actually able to complete a lap at the IoM with a bike even uglier and less practical then the C1. I hate that for the non-motorcycling press they think these are cool and give them time that should be used to highlight awesome real motorcycles like an RSV4 or even the BMW. I hate that people which normally I would consider enthusiasts talk about getting a speaker to mimic the sounds of their favorite bikes while riding on of them.

An electric bike will NEVER replace a real motorcycle, one which has an internal combustion engine, preferrably with two to four big pistons turning north of 10,000 rpm, somewhere between the wheels. I would rather ride a big scooter like a Burgman, or even a tiny econobike like the new CBR250 than one of these piles of shit. Give me a Harley any day over them, and I have no love for the MoCo.

They are nothing but a fad, an overpriced oddity. There is a reason no major manufacturer (risk-taker KTM excepted) has resisted ever making one: because very few people will pay more money to travel less, slower, and look horrible doing it.
ROFLMAO! I couldn't have said it better as to how I feel about these things.
The only statement that I disagree with is the last one...I think there may be some Hollywood types who want to tout their eco-friendliness and possibly some truly economics minded commuters (not biker/enthusiasts) for which such vehicles/appliances might make some sense.

Like you, I'd rather ride a Vespa or Harley than ride a silent ****ing fridge...even if it manages to eke up some speed for a few miles.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally couldn't care less how this thing does it. It is rated at 194hp and 295 ft./lbs of torque. It is doing the job on those Ducatis, KTMs etc with a ONE-SPEED transmission. Think very carefully about how far this stuff has come in the last 24 months.
This literally is the future. When one of these things delivers a reliable 250hp with 400 ft./lb are you Luddites still going to nay-say it? What's the point? Is it performance or noise? Holy sh*t, you guys should listen to yourselves!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
While I respect your opinions; 'fridges' don't podium..

You have your preferences, but don't knock new technology, especially in it's infancy, because of your personal tastes. The blind rage and resistance to change coming from some of you guys bear STRONG echoes of a certain festering boardmember who's too caught up in the past to appreciate the present, let alone the future.

I mean come on, you're racing, what's your goal? To make loud noises? The goal is to cross the line first, and these E-bikes are definitely going in the right direction, and they're doing so very quickly. If you can't at least appreciate that, then you're acting like retarded children throwing a tantrum. Embrace change, it's the only way forward :twocents

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
A reasonable battery pack so that a bike could be lightweight, powerful, and have comparable range to a tank of gas simply doesn't exist. Not now, not in ten years.

In the last year I have worked with one of the top R&D firms for battery power for DoD. Much more advanced than the simple batteries the company I work for produces. For them price is no object, energy density is really all that matters in their applications. Even they do not have anything close to the requirements of providing the energy required for these fantasy machines.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Gawd...you guys make me laugh. Such indignation that someone may have an opinion on what some folks are seeing as the new direction in motorcycles!

Let's get this straight....motorcyling for MOST of us...is a fun hobby/sport. PART of that appeal is the visceral aspect of the motor...yes, the sound of a throbbing V-twin or the scream of a four. It's the manual switching of gears, the seemingly alive roaring of the motor as it screams toward redline. Yeah, yeah....this sounds distinctly Harley-esque in my poor choice of words, but it's the ****ing truth.

I see ZERO appeal in riding an electric motor. Silent, smooth, clever...yes. Appealing? In what way? Because it can move you...perhaps even fast one day? Yippee!!!

This is not the future of motorcycles, simply because they have less basic, raw appeal. That's MY opinion, and you can call me Luddite if you wish, but I'd rather see, feel, ride, marvel at and maintain an ultra-sophisticated combustion engine with fire in its heart, and lots of high-precision little valves popping, and conrod bones working and intake sounds and awesome exhaust sounds from its belly, than a bunch of nearly silent electric wires around a magnetic field.

Shit, I REALLY need to write for Harley. :)

Seriosly, I admire anyone for whom the thrill of the ride is the shear speed....above all else. You must REALLY get off when riding in a jet at 35000 ft. So smooth, efficient, fast and quiet. I'll be the guy smiling on my old Luddite scooter down there on the ground.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
I see ZERO appeal in riding an electric motor. Silent, smooth, clever...yes. Appealing? In what way? Because it can move you...perhaps even fast one day? Yippee!!!

bingo

i don't care if they make a one speed silent 200hp V4 battery operated bike for free i would not ride it

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
bingo

i don't care if they make a one speed silent 200hp V4 battery operated bike for free i would not ride it
buddy, no one is forcing you to ride it, put it in context before you get your panties in a knot :)

No one is claiming they're a replacement for internal combustion engines. It's an option, a technology, it's something worth persuing. It will find a niche market at the very least. Were you guys against the development of fuel injection over carburators? Think about that, it's a similar argument.

Regardless, I'm being the devil's advocate, because I too love the smell of gasoline, and the analogue/mechanical rawness of a traditional engine and gearboxes. I would never buy a car that was automatic. I highly doubt I would ever buy an electric sportsbike. But digital watches and gear driven ones still exist side by side, they're just another flavor for the consumer/racer/fan to enjoy. Stop being such rabid haters, you're not 16 year old girls! Variety is the spice of life, and the persuit of knowledge through experimentation should be the backbone of it!

:)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts