Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in my hand the newly arrived golden goodness that is my Ohlins rear shock and I'm dying to get off work so I can run home and stick it on.

Question: I have one of the new Pit Bull front stands that lifts from the steering head so the front is not a problem but I need to raise the rear off the ground so I can set sag. My plan is to put the bike up on front and rear stands and then use my floor jack and a piece of 2X4 under the engine to raise the rear so I can pull the rear stand our to set rear sag. Does that sound about right? I haven't had to lift the bike like that before so I'm a bit nervous about it. Other than checking to ensure that the wood\jack aren't pinching the plastic is there anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks,
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground. (mcoomer)

Sounds about right ...though if I can leave the rear stand on even if it's not touching the swingarm is good because I drop the RC ontop of me once or twice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground. (mcoomer)

Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground is to go barreling into turn 1 at Barber & not brake until the last marker. You'll get the rear end up for damn sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground. (LDH)

Seriously though the bike CANNOT be on either stand when you are setting the sag numbers!

Best way to do it is to use the side stand to pivot the bike up off the rear wheel. Just grab the handle bars & pull to the left & the rear wheel will lift right up. This is how we change out shocks at the track a lot of the time too. Takes about 5 minutes with 2 experienced wrench spinners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground. (LDH)

Still use the jack in the method in which you had planned. You might also want to use some tie downs hooked to the frame (some near the front and rear since you can't use stands at all) and use your garage rafters for the extra "just in case something happens" support. Most of the weght should be on the jack though, you don't want your RC to bring your entire garage down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground. (backlash)

Do you have a garage with exposed rafters or a enclosed trailer with crossbar supports?

Take off your tail section and use rachet straps to lift and support the rear of the bike! I have done it a few times, works great just be sure to secure your front by either in a wheel chock or a few cinder blocks around the tire to keep it from swaying forward/back!

Uhm yeah what Backlash said! I jsut saw that.. Great minds think alike!

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Easiest way to lift the rear off the ground. (Half Squid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Half Squid »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a garage with exposed rafters or a enclosed trailer with crossbar supports?

Take off your tail section and use rachet straps to lift and support the rear of the bike! I have done it a few times, works great just be sure to secure your front by either in a wheel chock or a few cinder blocks around the tire to keep it from swaying forward/back!

Uhm yeah what Backlash said! I jsut saw that.. Great minds think alike!

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't even need to take the tail section off. The hooks on a ratchet strap will catch the cross member nearest the seat without touching the plastic. Mine is hanging in the garage right now....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used the jack under the oil pan to get the shock out, then had a couple of riding buddies come over to help set up sag. Can't wait to get back on the track to see how the rear end feels now. One thing for sure...the shock looks sweet as hell sitting in there. Just need to get it dialed in now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts