Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
today im getting my rc dyno tuned. sitting at the shop now waiting for it to open up. im looking forward to seeing the improvements.

details:
04 rc
akra slipons
pcIII USB
soft rev mod
pair mod
flapper mod
k&n filters
dunlop 209gpA med/hard tires

id love to see 130rwhp, but ill be happy with any improvement really. (but i certainly hope for over 125rwhp at the least (i know all dynos read different and its only a tool, but the kid in me wants numbers ;) ). in the end im just looking for a really flat air/fuel ratio and smooth power curves. ill post up the results later today with the graph.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your results, but 1 thing I can tell you and this is NO BS, Get Rid of the K&N air filters! I don't know why BUT They SUCK in our RC51s!

I spent 95 bucks on mine and ended up giving them away!

1 last thing is, I see you got the "Soft Rev. Limiter" mod. done... So, make sure she's pulling like a Monster ALL the way to 10,250rpms!;)

Let me ask you please, what are they charging you for this job?

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, results are in.

started at 119 rwhp and approx. 67ft.lbs i was running super rich up top and in the low end. i forgot to have him print out an overlay of the before and after runs, and i didnt even have him print me a copy of the before run which ill have him email me.

tuning was performed by John at Dyno Solutions in brookfield, ct Dyno Solutions - Home and he did a great job and was a really cool guy. tuned at 2,5,10,20,40,60,80,100% throttle at 250rpm intervals from the bottom to the top.

i also forgot to mention that i am running dunlop 209gpA hard compound tires with 21psi (which is what i run them at on the track) and i know race tires put out lower numbers than street tires, but im not concerned with ultimate numbers (although deep inside we all like higher numbers), but i now have a really nice a/f ratio of 13.2/1 basically all the way across.

here is the final result.

btw, he also told me that his dyno is an honest dyno and some people complain that it is a low reading dyno. he showed me a number of other results as comparison and i had the strongest running rc he has tuned. most of the others were around 119 to 120 (although most didnt have the soft rev either). but my midrange was also considerably stronger than the others as well.

Attachments

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, good to know should have asked that prior to going, but he did say that because its a track only bike he was going to make it slightly more rich to be a little safer which i didnt mind. i do plan on getting an airbox down the road so when i get that and install it perhaps ill run it with a slightly leaner a/f ratio.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
hmm, good to know should have asked that prior to going, but he did say that because its a track only bike he was going to make it slightly more rich to be a little safer which i didnt mind. i do plan on getting an airbox down the road so when i get that and install it perhaps ill run it with a slightly leaner a/f ratio.

Uhmmm 12.6:1 is richer than 13.2:1

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, your right.. thinking backwards for some reason.. that gets me thinking then because he had information that the rc should be around 13.0/1 ill have to call and ask him.

btw, the custom tune ran me 250 bucks.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so explain to me why it is that 12.6 a/f ratio came to be the sweet spot. was it by a reputable tuner who stated this? Id like to know where this info came from.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the dip was a lot worse before the tune...

also, the 13.2/1 ratio was based on dynojets information on the rc.. they claim that 12.9-13.3 (i think .3 or maybe .2) is optimal. i just got off the phone with the tuner.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not getting defensive here, just like to be informed... and in hindsight i wish i would have researched optimum a/f ratios first (which i typically do), but didnt for some reason this time.

ill shoot you over the map as soon as i get a copy of it.

so my next question is how dangerous is it to run at 13.2? is that so lean that ill burn a freaking valve out now?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You are in absolutely no danger whatsoever of burning a valve or anything of the sort the bike will run just fine with that tune on it, hell it will run great. It is just not optimal for all-out performance that's all.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i appreciate the info... ill be looking forward to an aftermarket airbox and 12.6/1 af down the road. i do love this bike and it handles great even with stock suspension and i weigh 220lbs.. but it sucks getting passed by the new 600's on the straights even when im on the gas before them coming out of the previous turn... although coming from where i was before the tune and to where i am now im hoping that wont happen anymore. ;)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
+7hp & +5.6 tq, Not bad ej;)

I'd withhold judgment on that until I saw a before & after graph together...

I mean I have seen Uncorrected charts put up against corrected charts to show gains where there were none etc... Not saying that was done here and most likely wasn't, but I don't get too excited about claimed gains until I see them for myself.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im definately happy with the gains, and the smoothness of the a/f ratio.. cant wait to get back on the track and see how she responds.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I'd withhold judgment on that until I saw a before & after graph together...
I was also going to say IF he had it alittle fatter with the fuel (Your numbers) I imagine the hp would be even better when you
consider the Ram Air effect. Yes/No?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts