Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading bits and pieces of info in the magazines and on the web lately about how Ducati is looking at V4's as a replacement to the Twin in order to stay competitive on the track. I was just interested in everyone's input regarding the future of the Ducati line if they make a move to a "twin pulse" 4 cylndr engine for roadracing, at least in the superbike classes. I'm also wondering how much longer Ducati is going to be willing to pump who knows how much $$$ into the GP program in order to keep finishing between 7th and 10th place? Do they need to hire a primo rider along the lines of Rossi who has the talent, charisma and ability to assist the company in developing the bike along the proper path of evolution or is this more of a management problem?

Regards,

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Ducati's future in GP, SBK and AMA (Jeff H.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeff H. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Do they need to hire a primo rider along the lines of Rossi who has the talent, charisma and ability to assist the company in developing the bike along the proper path of evolution or is this more of a management problem?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tires, riders, devolpment....in that order

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ducati's future in GP, SBK and AMA (Jeff H.)

AMA/WSBK: rumor has it that the 999rs will have its displacement increased (1215cc?) if the rules allow it. My guess would be that ducati will run this setup for atleast a few years to give the desmodici some more development time. Plus the desmodici development has switched to 800cc on anyway.

Motogp: get hopkins!
2007 the 800cc bikes show up and rumor has it ducati has been working on an 800cc desmodici for a year at least.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Ducati's future in GP, SBK and AMA (jager)

I say the V4 desmodici will be in WSBK next year cleaning house! Then you'll see it in AMA in 07, by then their 800cc MotoGP bike will be fully developed and ready to go. Sounds like Suzuki is really after Hopkins to the tune of 3 times his current salary. I think Ducati will match it and Hopkins will jump ship to Ducatiland! They've already proven that they got the power & speed, they just need to switch back to Michillen and I think they would be fighting for the top 3 spots!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Ducati's future in GP, SBK and AMA (viper1)

i think that the 800cc is a huge chance for ducati to scrap the bike they have now and move on to greener fields, turn a new leaf so to speak.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Ducati's future in GP, SBK and AMA (mrgrn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turn a new leaf so to speak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

any particular green leaf you have in mind?

(couldn't help it!)

I agree with all of the above - hopefully the 800cc will bring some better competitiveness and results.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopkins does strike one as being on the verge of great things if he can be put on a good ride. Also, Bridgestone doesn't seem to be able to measure up to Michelin over the course of a GP season, or in F-1 for that matter, so the tire factor would seem to be valid as well. I don't understand how the switch to 800cc is going to help Ducati any, as I thought the powerplant was always a Duc strongpoint. Haven't they been shooting themselves in the foot the past few seasons by making too many changes to chassis, electronics, etc? Regards to AMA/WSBK, I haven't read anything about allowing anything over 1000cc in either 2 or 4 cylinder, so the Desmodeci may be the best answer, as others have posted. I haven't been able to read about the bike's developement, so I'd be interested if anyone has a link to some good info.

Regards,

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts