Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
195 hp (crank) in stock form. With a redline of 10,750. And 15,000 mile valve adjustments intervals. Remarkable really.

Expect 220 hp at 11,500 for the race motor before the restrictors are put in by WSBK.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Finally a long overdue all new motor from Ducati. Completely modern as well. Hopefully reliability is on par with other manufacturers. Looks like it is something special with those numbers.

I am looking forward to it's race performance and the introduction of the "smaller" version.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
engine is a stressed member, ala GP11....lets see how WSBK race bikes do after watching the GP11 struggle wit this design philosophy.

i for one hope Ducati sticks to the idea and works it out, i think its for sure the way of the future. The weight saving alone.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
rotating the V in the cases was the smartest move yet, the issues the GP bike is having, more to do with limited adjustability of weight bias than one would imagine...

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
If this is real, it's VERY good to see them finally abandoning the old L-configuration.

While they can probably never make the engine as short as an I4 with vertically staggered gearbox shafts, I think this motor must be literally 3" or more shorter in the critical front-to-countershaft dimension, which is a huge change.

For the race version, I expect this will rev over 12K RPM quite nicely, as Ducati has been able to push piston speeds much higher than the old norms, without reliability issues, even using the (1200 twin) W/SBK restrictions for stock rods.

This will be a big "Up Yours" motor to all those who felt the big twins cannot remain competitive even in W/SBK racing.

The handling remains to be seen, and it is clearly an open question, for W/SBK...although initial reported lap times of the stock bike indicate a very fast stock bike....so a good sign that they've got a very workable geometry and weight bias on the table for this generation.

With the old 1098R stomping all over the old Desmocedici street bike from idle to over 10000RPM, I expect this motor to extend that advantage even more. Probably not going to reach BMW levels, but I expect it will be on par with the Japanese I4s and V4s in pure power production, with much more torque, of course.

This may well be my first new bike purchase since 1983, when I bought my old limited-edition Suzuki Katana SXZ-1100 homoligation special!

EDIT: hmmm, I see they tilted the cylinders only another 6 degrees...not as much as I'd hoped, so the motor is only 32MM shorter. Oh well, still a move in the right direction, but I wish they'd gone further with this. I'm guessing their frame connection points might be compromised by a further tilt, but who really knows...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Very interesting indeed . I would estimate 162 HP at the wheel for the base model . Can't wait to try it . Strong torque low plus a serious high-rpm hit will be addictive . So not a full geared cam-drive ... oh well , have to pay Rossi :D . Imagine if Honda says "What the hell !" and decides again to show Ducati how it's done !

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Who really cares? Don't they know what we really want?

Perhaps I'll just let Larry tell you..... :p

He will surely be along any time now.......

P.S. Speaking for myself, I think it's wicked! Nice job Ducati!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
No more "LOUD CLUTCHS SAVES LIFES" sound....I'm bummed! The traditional Ducati sound (falling apart sound)....I'll miss it when poeple look over at me and say, "there sounds like something is wrong with your bike"......Oh well, I'll stick to the 5 Duc's I have for awhile until pulling the trigger for a new one!

·
2,737 Posts
Who really cares? Don't they know what we really want?

Perhaps I'll just let Larry tell you..... :p

He will surely be along any time now.......

P.S. Speaking for myself, I think it's wicked! Nice job Ducati!

As we sit here with the sword of Damaclese dangling over our heads.
*dreading the fuzzy crank and firing order drawings yet again.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
If this is real, it's VERY good to see them finally abandoning the old L-configuration.

While they can probably never make the engine as short as an I4 with vertically staggered gearbox shafts, I think this motor must be literally 3" or more shorter in the critical front-to-countershaft dimension, which is a huge change.
Why is "Old" always associated with Ducati??? "Old Baldy"... "Old L configuration"... Old V2 Turkey"

Mercy Barry you want a shorter engine??? Duacti engineers will point to their V4...

·
5,671 Posts
Why is "Old" always associated with Ducati??? "Old Baldy"... "Old L configuration"... Old V2 Turkey"

Mercy Barry you want a shorter engine??? Duacti engineers will point to their V4...
They're not that dumb....even they know their V4 has major handling problems. Worse than their Vtwin streetbike, remember? Which you conveniently forget, you silly OLD bugger. :)

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
They're not that dumb....even they know their V4 has major handling problems. Worse than their Vtwin streetbike, remember? Which you conveniently forget, you silly OLD bugger. :)
They can fix those handling problems but they can't get that old slow turning V2
up to the power level of their new fast spinning V4...

·
5,671 Posts
They can fix those handling problems but they can't get that old slow turning V2
up to the power level of their new fast spinning V4...
I find it quite amusing that that old slow turning V2 AGAIN absolutely demolished all your touted V4s and the I4s in W/SBK this year, and yet you think the twin is slow.

Of course, your little 112HP V4 is the supreme weapon of all time, and that 195HP, lighter, better-braked, W/SBK Ducati wouldn't stand a chance, right?

No, you're only scared of girls on old CBR600s. :) :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.